🏀 theJ's Magic Association Rebuild (NBA 2k13)

theJ

Last update for now:

At the All-Star Break, the team is much improved.

• Nov 8-7 record!
  • Dec 9-7 record!
  • Jan 8-5 record!
  • Dale Burke made the All-Star Team as the 8th man!
  • 28-24 at the All-Star Break, currently at the 6 seed
  • Bobcats have the 1 seed...
  • Currently have the 6th ranked offense, major improvements in all categories
  • Signed Nick Young to 1 year extension worth 1.68M (Bench Warmer role)

And the recruiting class.  I may be out of range for all of them, but we'll see.  This class looks to be a lot deeper than the last one.  Also two good centers.  The league needs that.  I was concerned my backup 61 OVR would be asking for an 8M deal soon...

In-season scouting update (All-Star Break)
Position Name Projection Age Height WGT OVR POT IN OUT PER D PST D HNDL REB IQ ATH
C Caron Hanson Top 5 21 7'1" 237 B A+                
PG Leo Payne Top 5 20 6'0" 203 A B+                
PG Dale Person Top 5 21 6'2" 180 A A+                
PG Dimitris Giannou Top 5 22 6'2" 200 A A+                
PF Lloyd Hall Top 5 22 6'10" 259 B+ B+                
PF Scot Sheridan Lottery 21 6'9" 249 D+ B-                
PF Wilfred Bradford Lottery 20 6'10" 239 D+ B                
SG Radu Busca Lottery 21 6'6" 197 C- C+                
SF Luka Zagorac Lottery 22 6'6" 220 C- C+                
C Jeffery Ellis Lottery 22 6'10" 265 B A-                
SF Al-Farouq Gatling Lottery 19 6'8" 201 C- B-                
SF Wendell House Lottery 21 6'8" 222 D ?                
PG Jake Morris Lottery 19 6'1" 160 A- B-                
SG Vladmir Sankovic Lottery 21 6'4" 175 C+ B-                
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

They added this annoying mechanic where you can only do a certain about if items a day, and half the time you have to waste them on chit chatting with your staff so they don’t hate you.  It also has game crippling bugs like you can’t resign your draft picks when their rookie contracts expire before they hit free agency.  Now that doesn’t sound that bad cause you can just sign them in free agency?  Well not really, because you can’t go over the soft salary cap to sign free agents.  The cpu doesn’t seem to be affected by this glitch, so you’re essentially stuck with $30ish less in cap space than the rest of the league.

This is all myGM stuff right? Haven’t run into it in myLeague, which is a lot more like a traditional franchise mode.

4 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

You've been able to sign draft picks to long term extensions before they hit free agency?

May have seen the first part and then realized I’m not yet deep enough to experience the contracts. About to enter Year 4, so I guess that’ll kill me tonight. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Who the heck is on their roster?  

Yeah this is surprising, because i've been battling with them for the #1 seed the last three seasons.

They have Kemba Walker and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (who they've had the whole time), then signed Kyrie in FA.  One of Kemba or Kyrie must be playing SG, because they're both PG.

That's it.  The rest of the team looks like a lot like mine.  Lots of mid-70's filling out the roster.

8 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Let me know the results.  

I haven’t read about it recently, but it definitely was the case a few months after launch, so I guess I’ll see if it was patched. What a game-breaking glitch when myGM is now ranked nonsense.

21 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I haven’t read about it recently, but it definitely was the case a few months after launch, so I guess I’ll see if it was patched. What a game-breaking glitch when myGM is now ranked nonsense.

It wasn't fixed a month ago. However, when i looked to extend them, it gave me the message "Players entering the last year of their contract must be signed in the off-season" or whatever, so I thought that meant you had to offer the extension in the off-season before their 4th year... but I never tested it

Sorry @theJ to bog your thread down with this, I will stop posting about it

3 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Sorry @theJ to bog your thread down with this, I will stop posting about it

Nbd

Actually i'm glad you posted this last one.  Dale Burke is going into the last year of his contract.  I noticed i could resign him during the season, but elected not to.  I figured i would do it next year.  Now i'm wondering if i made a mistake (i already simmed past the extension deadline).

Maybe try extended guys when they're in their 3rd season?

1 minute ago, theJ said:

Nbd

Actually i'm glad you posted this last one.  Dale Burke is going into the last year of his contract.  I noticed i could resign him during the season, but elected not to.  I figured i would do it next year.  Now i'm wondering if i made a mistake (i already simmed past the extension deadline).

Maybe try extended guys when they're in their 3rd season?

The bug we're talking about didn't show up until NBA 2k19.

To answer your question I think you can extend rookies in their 4th season in prior 2ks.  I would extend them as soon as it lets you because they will be lower OVRs.  The more they grow the more expensive they'll get.  

You don't want your draft picks to hit free agency.  In the NBA teams are allowed to pass the soft cap to extend their own players, but cannot sign free agents once over the soft cap.  

7 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

If possible, you should try to trade up for Jeffrey Ellis.  Trading into the back part of the lottery isn't that unrealistic if he makes it there.

Yeah i want to be in the top 15.  Anything outside of that is basically just garbage.

I bet Ellis is gone in the top 5 though.  The very first draft class saw Junior Barber go #3, and he was down far enough that i didn't even have him on my list.  Then 2013-14 saw Chucky Green go #2, and he was a middling Lottery pick according to my scouts (A+ potential though).  There were certainly better prospects in both cases, but the Centers go quick.

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

The bug we're talking about didn't show up until NBA 2k19.

To answer your question I think you can extend rookies in their 4th season in prior 2ks.  I would extend them as soon as it lets you because they will be lower OVRs.  The more they grow the more expensive they'll get.  

You don't want your draft picks to hit free agency.  In the NBA teams are allowed to pass the soft cap to extend their own players, but cannot sign free agents once over the soft cap.  

Yeah that's a good point.  I sort of messed up, because i was looking at from the perspective of keeping him cheaper in year 4 of his deal.  But it's just going to get more expensive, because the next chance i have to extend him is after the offseason progression.

I'll do better with Marty and Chad.

Ok, finishing off the season.

• February saw a step back with a 5-8 record
  • March went 11-4 though
  • Finished 45-37 and got the 8 seed!

2015-16 Season Awards
MVP John Wall Wizards
ROY Tracy King Magic
6th Man Brandon Knight Pistons
DPOY Dwight Howard Lakers
Most Improved Troy Wroten Clippers
COY Stacey Hughes Kings

2014-15 Team Stats 2015-16 Team Stats
  Number League Rank Number League Rank
Record 27-55 29th 45-37 14th
Off Pts/Game 94.4 30th 106.3 4th
Def Pts/Game 100.8 10th 103.5 18th
APG 21.1 25th 24.2 4th
RPG 45.4 24th 48.3 7th
SPG 7 17th 7.3 5th
BPG 4.2 24th 5.7 12th
TOPG 14 11th 14.6 23rd

(I don't know why, but the white formatting won't copy over)

2015-16 Season Player Stats
Position Name PPG RPG APG SPG BPG
SF Dale Burke 19.9 6.5 2.5 1.6 1.1
PG Marty McGuire 16 4 6.8 1.9 0.4
SG Jordan Crawford 12.7 2.4 1.9 0.7 0
C Spencer Hawes 12.4 8.9 1.8 0.2 1.5
SG Tracy King 12.1 3.6 4.3 1.1 0.6
PF Chad Elliott 12 9.3 1.3 0.5 1.4
PF Carlos Boozer 8.6 6.3 1 0.4 0.2
PG Eric Bledsoe 7.6 2.5 4.9 0.8 0.2

My three free agent pickups paid huge dividends.  Very little dropoff from the starters.

ON TO THE PLAYOFFS

As the 8 seed, i drew the #1 seeded Detroit Pistons, led by Chris Paul.

I'm going to post the game-by-game scores.  Not sure on the best format for people to follow along here, so feel free to comment.

Game 1
Orlando @ Detroit
86   98

0-1

Game 2
Orlando @ Detroit
99   104

0-2, looking bleak

Game 3
Detroit @ Orlando
107   108

1-2, hope

Game 4
Detroit @ Orlando
89   87

1-3, we're in trouble

Game 5
Orlando @ Detroit
107   134

Welp, that's it.

Pistons overall were just too deep.  Every starter they had is over 80 OVR, and i had no answer for 94 OVR Chris Paul.  Next year.

BTW, Pistons won the Championship, so at least i lost to the champion.