Official Notre Dame Thread

roysmyboy31

• 2 weeks later...

While I still don't think Kelly is right for the program going forward, I can't complain about a 10 win season considering the schedule.  Really nice New Year's Day win against a good LSU squad.

There has to be a full QB competition next year.  Neither guy is good enough to just hand it to them (and I highly doubt the freshman Jurkovec will be ready from Day 1).  Wimbush does offer higher athletic upside, but it does not matter if he can't throw a ball with any consistency.  And Book has more limitations physically.  But he seems to be more steady passing and there is not as much variation in his production.

I'm really annoyed that Dexter Williams never got enough carries this year.  Every time the ball is in his hands, there is potential for a big run. Boykin in general seemed to be underutilized as well.

Defense under Mike Elko had an excellent year.  LBs stood out and Julian Love grew as a CB this year.  Safeties need to be better though.

Hopefully, this win gives us momentum on the recruiting trail.  We have a pretty good class coming in.

Bad news.  Mike Elko got hired this week by A&M to be their defensive coordinator.  He'd done an excellent job coaching our defense up to being a much more solid unit than previously.  We are going to miss him.  This hire will be critical for Brian Kelly.  He should not survive another van Gorder type hire.

Equanimeous St. Brown and Josh Adams have both declared for the draft.

Clark Lea promoted to defensive coordinator.  Was the LB coach last year and did a very good job with his unit.  Maintains continuity that Elko started here.

Unfortunately, OL coach Harry Hiestand is heading to the Bears to be their OL coach.  I am so crestfallen over that.  I am not sure who we can get that can have the impact he did.  Consistently had strong lines and has sent several of his pupils to the NFL, which only helped our appeal with OL recruits.

On 1/10/2018 at 9:10 PM, roysmyboy31 said:

Clark Lea promoted to defensive coordinator.  Was the LB coach last year and did a very good job with his unit.  Maintains continuity that Elko started here.

Unfortunately, OL coach Harry Hiestand is heading to the Bears to be their OL coach.  I am so crestfallen over that.  I am not sure who we can get that can have the impact he did.  Consistently had strong lines and has sent several of his pupils to the NFL, which only helped our appeal with OL recruits.

Two huge losses with Elko and Hiestand. Why can't BK pick up and leave?!?!

• 7 months later...

Offense looks like it will continue to be a big problem due to Wimbush's inability to keep defenses honest with his passing.  Defense has looked solid so far, but we have not played anybody too good besides Michigan.  And we won't be seriously tested again until Stanford.  Bright side is that means we have a lot of time to work out the kinks.

On 9/15/2018 at 9:07 PM, roysmyboy31 said:

Offense looks like it will continue to be a big problem due to Wimbush's inability to keep defenses honest with his passing.  Defense has looked solid so far, but we have not played anybody too good besides Michigan.  And we won't be seriously tested again until Stanford.  Bright side is that means we have a lot of time to work out the kinks.

Word on the street is we might start Book. Wimbush will never be consistent enough to get us to where we wanna go.

Book started today and what a difference it made for our offense.  Run game is even more effective when we actually have the threat of the pass.  Book should be the guy moving forward from here on out.  Wimbush still is valuable for his running ability, which I hope we still utilize.  

Big game for Armstrong as well.  He has looked solid this year.

2 hours ago, roysmyboy31 said:

Book started today and what a difference it made for our offense.  Run game is even more effective when we actually have the threat of the pass.  Book should be the guy moving forward from here on out.  Wimbush still is valuable for his running ability, which I hope we still utilize.  

Props to BK for making the call. Stanford next week, let’s see what they’re made of. It’s not Nov, maybe they come to play.

On 9/22/2018 at 12:21 PM, roysmyboy31 said:

I would do the opposite of what they had been doing in the first three games -- have Book as the starter, and bring in Wimbush to run the red-zone offense in order to add a scoring running option.

Wake Forest was great for Book's confidence and the offense's confidence in him. Let's see if he can continue to perform against a stiffer challenge in Stanford.