Official Notre Dame Thread

roysmyboy31

8 minutes ago, roysmyboy31 said:

Whole team looks pretty bad as well.  Kelly better not survive past this season if this is as good as it gets.  Wanted him out after last year.

Hopefully, Wimbush can turn it around (or Phil Jurkovec is good).

I wouldn't mind Kelly leaving. I've liked him over the years but we are going nowhere with him and it's time to move on imo. 

if 6-7 wins is best that we can do this year then Kelly should not stay after this season, I've been saying since last year that Jim Tressel is worthy of a second chance and even longer that Kelly is not fit for the Power 5. Kelly losing his job after this season probably would burn his bridges with the rest of the Power 5.

I agree Pf9.......but that's just it! Kelly is going to do just enough to have a 6-7, or 6-6 record that he won't get fired, or our other fearless leader, Swardbrick won't fired him! I like the Tressel mention, didn't think of him. However, I agree with a lot of others, we need to man up and call Meyer and pay him what he's worth. We had a big win today, but all it really did was let Kelly hang around, as there's no way the IRISH are going to win any big games this season with no passing offense. You can go ahead and check off losses against USC, Stanford, Miami because that DOG AIN'T GONNA HUNT! We need a big dog type hire if we are ever going expect to WAKE UP THE ECHOES! GO IRISH!

Good job in the 2nd half.  Though since BC is a team we should handle, that shouldn't change much.  Wimbush has very good legs, though his arm is still inaccurate and he doesn't grasp how to read a defense yet.  Hopefully, that comes with time.  For the time being, Wimbush's struggles passing the ball combined with having only one good WR (St. Brown), and having a strong stable of runners (including Wimbush) suggests we should be passing as little as possible.

A little concerned with how our defense looked against an awful BC offense.  We have some playmakers in our front 7, but our secondary is a concern.

I do agree that 6-7 wins should see Kelly canned and I think that is exactly the type of season we'll have.  If Kelly goes, I've always liked Dan Mullen from MS State.  Highly doubt Meyer would even listen to us.

I'm an OSU fan too, and would prefer Meyer stay there. Only reason other than retirement that he should leave would be an NFL offer, and even that might not be enough to get him to leave OSU. In many cases I do believe in second chances, especially in cases where a coach was forced out due to scandal, which is why I threw Tressel's name into the hat. Of all the coaches who got axed by ND after Lou Holtz left, only Davie never got a second chance with a Power conference school. No one would hire him for nearly a decade after his failure at ND, he had to work in the broadcasting side of CFB, and when an offer finally came, it was from Mountain West member New Mexico, where he is now in his 6th season - longer than he lasted at ND. I have to admit, I didn't give Davie much of a chance to succeed at NM, but if he has one more good season at NM, then the Power 5 might come calling again, but I think he should stay with the Lobos, seeing how his last time coaching a Power ended in disaster. There are some coaches who are not suitable for coaching in the Power 5.

The fact that Lou Holtz was the last ND coach to win a national title, win a major bowl game, lead the Irish to consecutive 10-win seasons, and NOT get fired shows the direction the program has headed in the last 23 years. And the fact that NBC still televises their home games despite the national title drought amazes me. I would think that NBC has at least some buyer's remorse (if only buyer's remorse laws applied to sports broadcasting contracts, NBC would have ended its association with the Irish long ago if that were the case).

Edited by pf9

Good win on the road where we were in control the whole time.  At the very least, it seems we are at least beating teams we are supposed to this year.  Defense looks much improved this year so far.  3 turnovers tonight and we converted them all into TDs.  Offensively, another good outing on the ground.  Finally got Dex more touches and he did not disappoint.

Touche IDig! Ha we might not have to fire Kelly after all, however we still have lots of games to go. I like what I see though and I'm going to try to enjoy every win because lol we only need one more win to tie our whole win total of last season.Go IRISH!

Edited by Exarmyvet80

Did not watch a ton of today's game because the outcome was never really in doubt from the beginning.  Wimbush still seems to have trouble throwing the ball.  Fine if we are playing middling or lower teams given our run game, but it hurts us against stronger teams.

Still not sure how good we really are and we won't really have any idea until we face USC.  The one loss we have was by one point to a UGA team that seems to be very good, but none of our wins are over good teams (a middling at best MSU team is our top win so far).  And we should be able to handle UNC, who lost a lot from last year and is struggling a lot this year.

The main thing I'm noticing this year (so far) that's different from years past, is that we're actually playing well and winning pretty easily against teams we should beat. In years past we have played poorly, and just barely good enough to beat (and sometimes even lost to) teams we should have easily handled. This year, though not always a great start, we've beaten those teams the way we should be. We beat Temple by 33, won by 29 at BC, and won by 20 at Mich State. 2 years ago we beat Temple by 4 and BC by 3. Last year we lost to an awful Texas team, Duke, NC State (I know, that game was in ridiculous weather), Navy, and Va Tech, let Syracuse put up 33 on us and barely beat Miami. This year we're actually beating teams we should beat, and it hasn't been close. Also, as has been pointed out, our only loss was by 1 point to a Georgia team that looks like a solid playoff team. I know it could all change, but at least so far I'd say it's a good sign, and a positive change from years past.

I agree, all things considering we are looking pretty good....lol we can't complain too much as we have just matched our win total from last season! Of course we still have a long way too go, but the team seems to be firing on all cylinders and we are actually FINISHING games we should. Let's just try to enjoy each and every win while they come and take it one game at a time and see what happens.GO IRISH!

• Like 1