Official Notre Dame Thread

roysmyboy31

On 10/6/2017 at 7:03 PM, roysmyboy31 said:

12 games is the amount of games every team plays in the regular season (with a few exceptions sometimes).  Additional games come in the form of conference championships and bowl games.  Since we are not in a conference, the only time we play more than 12 is if we're in a bowl.

FWIW, Notre Dame could play a 13th game, if you played at Hawaii. 

Well, that was fun.  Beating your rival like that always is.  Another game where our ground game takes control.  Adams and Wimbush both with huge games.  Defense still looks good with 3 turnovers forced.  We can compete with just about any team if we play like that consistently.  Wimbush just needs to complete a few big passes a game to keep defenses honest like he did tonight.

I'm sure we impressed the recruits that were at the game today.

12 hours ago, IdigtheRaiders! said:

BK's new coaching philosophy that he talked about in the offseason seems to be working. It looks like less distractions is working for him and the team as a whole. There's a real chance ND could not lose the rest of the season and be in the conversation for the 4-team playoff.

What's the new philosophy? I don't think I heard of it.

At the risk of speaking too soon, this team has me very excited.  Now 7-1 and have blowout wins in consecutive weeks against strong opposition.  We have pretty much blown out everyone in our wins and our one loss was by one point to an unbeaten UGA team that's probably going to be ranked either #1 or #2 after this week.  They sure are showing up this year.

Another brilliant day on the ground.  Over 300 yards and 5.9 YPC on the ground against the 6th ranked NC State run defense.  Josh Adams with over 200 yards and another one of his weekly big runs.  If Saquon Barkley weren't ridiculous, he'd be getting serious mentions for winning the Heisman.  And I feel watching Wimbush that he is improving as a passer every week.  He sill is not that consistent, but he has hit some big throws the last couple of games.  And with our run game as strong as it is, we don't need too much in the passing department.

Biggest difference between this year's teams and past teams is our defense though.  As terrible a hire Brian van Gorder was, hiring Mike Elko was a stroke of genius.  He has our unit playing at a very high level.  We are getting pressure, forcing turnovers (17 I believe coming into today), and holding opponents down on the scoreboard.  Letting up 16.4 PPG coming into today and have not allowed an opponent to score more than 20 all year.  And one of NC State's two TDs today came off a blocked punt, so only 7 points actually allowed by the defense today.  Julian Love had a good game today and I really like having Te'Von Coney in the starting lineup over Martini.

Go Irish

On 10/28/2017 at 7:24 PM, roysmyboy31 said:

At the risk of speaking too soon, this team has me very excited.  Now 7-1 and have blowout wins in consecutive weeks against strong opposition.  We have pretty much blown out everyone in our wins and our one loss was by one point to an unbeaten UGA team that's probably going to be ranked either #1 or #2 after this week.  They sure are showing up this year.

Another brilliant day on the ground.  Over 300 yards and 5.9 YPC on the ground against the 6th ranked NC State run defense.  Josh Adams with over 200 yards and another one of his weekly big runs.  If Saquon Barkley weren't ridiculous, he'd be getting serious mentions for winning the Heisman.  And I feel watching Wimbush that he is improving as a passer every week.  He sill is not that consistent, but he has hit some big throws the last couple of games.  And with our run game as strong as it is, we don't need too much in the passing department.

Biggest difference between this year's teams and past teams is our defense though.  As terrible a hire Brian van Gorder was, hiring Mike Elko was a stroke of genius.  He has our unit playing at a very high level.  We are getting pressure, forcing turnovers (17 I believe coming into today), and holding opponents down on the scoreboard.  Letting up 16.4 PPG coming into today and have not allowed an opponent to score more than 20 all year.  And one of NC State's two TDs today came off a blocked punt, so only 7 points actually allowed by the defense today.  Julian Love had a good game today and I really like having Te'Von Coney in the starting lineup over Martini.

Go Irish

I cannot say enough how amazing the job Mike Elko has done for us. I don't think I have seen a ND defense so disciplined and fundamentally sound. 

We have a couple more tough games left, but Miami has not played well as of late. Hopefully we win out; I do believe we control our own destiny. 

On 10/23/2017 at 4:42 AM, pollino14 said:

What's the new philosophy? I don't think I heard of it.

NBCSports.com had a long article about Kelly during the offseason. I tried finding it today and had no luck. Basically, Kelly was saying he was having to do fundraising during last season among other things that didn't allow him to coach as effectively as he would like -- but he also said he allowed some things to slide, started to go easy in his coaching style, and allowed himself to try doing things at ND the easy way. Hence (in his opinion), last season happened. The article went on to say that Kelly was approaching this season with a new outlook while also getting back to old fundamentals. That's more-or-less the jist of it, but I remember the article going into a lot more depth.

Can only hope the defense was looking ahead to the U because they were pretty bad out there today.  Around 600 yards and 37 points to Wake Forest after not allowing more than 20 to any opponent all year (several of which have better offenses than Wake).  Thankfully, the outcome was never really in doubt due to our offense.

Wimbush has a bruise on his left hand, but was able to continue before ultimately being pulled when the game looked secure.  Josh Adams left the game very early for a concussion and was held out for the rest of the game.  Tony Jones and Deon McIntosh did well in his stead.  Hopefully, he will be OK for next week.