Green Bay Covid Opt Outs: Funchess First.

MacReady

1 hour ago, Bullet Club said:

He's also coming off injury, just like Thomas.

Okay, help me out here.

25 coming off of a collarbone injury.  Funchess.  Now 26.  

Versus 

30 coming off of an achiles tear.  Thomas.  Now (then) 31.

Is that what you mean, or are you talking when Thomas was 25 and also tore an achiles?

Either way, it's achiles versus collarbone.

If I'm wanting production from a WR, I'd gamble on someone with a collarbone versus achiles.  

I get that you don't like Funchess.  I think you threw Thomas out there as an example, I don't know if you like him now or not.

Either way, Fun was a good gamble on that deal due to age.  A gamble that has no shot at paying out this year, as is par for the course for 2020.

18 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Bottom line is, based on statistics and experience, there isn't another WR on our squad (17 excluded) who you can say is outright "better" than Funchess. 

Maybe not outright better, but what does Funchess have 6 years in the NFL to prove himself? The guys we have had have two?

Unfair sampling there to ask for outright better, as Aaron Rodgers certainly didn't look out right better than anyone his first two years.

As far as "based on statistics", MVS and Lazzard both had consecutive weeks stretches were they were putting up #2 WR like numbers.

Obviously they haven't done this for a complete season, and maybe not half a season, making these small samples but statistics could make the case that if they got it to click and they're able to do that for a complete season, I believe they might put up numbers like Funchess clear best season.

Clearly that'd be hopeful thinking, but as Gute has pointed out, it's not exactly a surprise if a WR finally figured things out in his 3rd year, as it's kinda the norm for position.

I honestly don't think Funchess would've been a WR2 in our system and we'll see it next year for sure. We signed Funchess for two reasons: 1. He has a great amount of potential for a very cost-effective contract. and 2. He's there to provide some additional veteran leadership to the bevy of young receivers that we already have. Furthermore, given that we will be moving on from Aaron in the not so distant future, he provides a big target for a young QB who will predictably struggle to adjust to the pro game early on just like he did in Carolina with a very inaccurate QB in Cam Newton - though for full disclosure, I think Love will be able to adjust to the pro game on shorter, touch passes unlike Cam. I think Funchess winds up being used in the slot on quick hit passes out of a two TE set provided he's back next year. 

I also don't think he would've had much, if any, impact on our draft. We went into that draft with a plan to move up in the 1st if Jordan Love fell(which he did), and we wanted to use the draft to target specific players that we felt fit the vision that MLF has for this team(which we did). I won't continue on that thought as it has nothing to do with this topic at hand.

3 minutes ago, Joe said:

I honestly don't think Funchess would've been a WR2 in our system and we'll see it next year for sure. We signed Funchess for two reasons: 1. He has a great amount of potential for a very cost-effective contract. and 2. He's there to provide some additional veteran leadership to the bevy of young receivers that we already have. Furthermore, given that we will be moving on from Aaron in the not so distant future, he provides a big target for a young QB who will predictably struggle to adjust to the pro game early on just like he did in Carolina with a very inaccurate QB in Cam Newton - though for full disclosure, I think Love will be able to adjust to the pro game on shorter, touch passes unlike Cam. I think Funchess winds up being used in the slot on quick hit passes out of a two TE set provided he's back next year. 

I also don't think he would've had much, if any, impact on our draft. We went into that draft with a plan to move up in the 1st if Jordan Love fell(which he did), and we wanted to use the draft to target specific players that we felt fit the vision that MLF has for this team(which we did). I won't continue on that thought as it has nothing to do with this topic at hand.

I don't believe the bolded part for one second.  Fun was on a one year deal and we have massive contracts coming up along with his.  He isn't a long term answer to the problem.  He has nothing to do with Love at all.

Your original thought of cost effective contract is the right take.

Opt out period has ended with these exceptions:

A player can still opt out later if one of the following applies: if that player gets a new diagnosis that he has a high-risk condition; or if a player's family member dies, is hospitalized or otherwise moves to a medical facility because of COVID-19 or related condition.

On 8/5/2020 at 3:15 PM, vegas492 said:

I don't believe the bolded part for one second.  Fun was on a one year deal and we have massive contracts coming up along with his.  He isn't a long term answer to the problem.  He has nothing to do with Love at all.

Your original thought of cost effective contract is the right take.

Fun is on a one year prove it deal. All he has to do is put up WR3 numbers and he'll get a longer deal; hence, he'll be playing with Jordan Love...

45 minutes ago, Joe said:

Fun is on a one year prove it deal. All he has to do is put up WR3 numbers and he'll get a longer deal; hence, he'll be playing with Jordan Love...

No way GB knew he'd opt out this year, so his real FA class would have been Clark, Bakh, Jones, King.  No way he's getting paid.  He's fifth in line at best.  

His real class will be Davante, Kirksey, MVS, ESB.  Maybe there's some leftover money from the prior year.  Maybe.  Davante is getting his.  Guessing MVS or ESB gets some before Fun.

It's much more likely that GB signed him for this year, he plays good, he walks in free agency and GB gets the comp pick.

Next year?  He's an easy guy to cut if another WR steps up this year.

Jordan Love had absolutely nothing to do with Funchess.  It's too far of a reach.

Edited by vegas492

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

No way GB knew he'd opt out this year, so his real FA class would have been Clark, Bakh, Jones, King.  No way he's getting paid.  He's fifth in line at best.  

His real class will be Davante, Kirksey, MVS, ESB.  Maybe there's some leftover money from the prior year.  Maybe.  Davante is getting his.  Guessing MVS or ESB gets some before Fun.

It's much more likely that GB signed him for this year, he plays good, he walks in free agency and GB gets the comp pick.

Next year?  He's an easy guy to cut if another WR steps up this year.

Jordan Love had absolutely nothing to do with Funchess.  It's too far of a reach.

Agreed.

After the one year prove-it deal, Funchess proved it in which case he would get big money and there's no way he would get paid by us alongside the Clark FA class. Or he didn't prove it in which case we would probably want to move on.

Obviously the opt out changes everything but everything points to (at the time) a short term deal giving Rodgers help this year and to buy us time hoping that we get lucky with a jump from MVS or EQ, at the time of signing then Gute was probably hoping Funchess doesn't ever play a competitive snap with Love. 

If we had gone WR in the draft round 2, more consideration would have gone into getting a guy that would work well with Love. But this was almost certainly all about a target for Aaron.

Edited by mikemike778
  • Like 1

On 7/28/2020 at 11:05 PM, Green19 said:

Does it look worse if there isn’t a season though? We go straight into the next years draft and select a WR in that one.

interesting idea to think about... won’t matter if the season flames out.

I'm  not into this season for different reasons anyways. But it's not looking good at the moment.