Green Bay Covid Opt Outs: Funchess First.

MacReady

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Obviously Gute couldn't see this coming, but also not sure he can go into the season with the same exact WR group, cross his fingers, and hope he doesn't come out looking like a clown for how he approached the position this offseason. 

At least there is ESB to look forward to. 

“Family is first. Always has been. Always will be,” Funchess wrote. “In such unpredictable times, it’s been one of the constants on my mind as I’ve worked through one of the toughest decisions of my life.”

“My closest family members have experienced the life-threatening impact of COVID-19 first hand and for their and my own safety, I’ve decided to opt out of the upcoming NFL season,” Funchess wrote. “This was not a decision I took lightly but it’s what is best for my family and myself at this time.”

“I can’t thank the Packers organization enough for their understanding and for giving me the opportunity to be part of one of the most storied franchises in the league,” Funchess wrote. “I look forward to getting back to work with them next season.”

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jleisher said:

There will not be any NFL season, that's my prediction.

At this rate I would think this too... but I think the league is too desperate to keep their money print machines going to not try every avenue.

The nfl season will start, but I don’t know if it will see itself to the completion.

Edited by Green19
  • Like 2

Honestly while I think we need someone else to step up, I think the need at WR has been over blown.

Even with losing Funchess, I think I could argue that WR isn't in the top 3 needs as we got Lazard and MVS who had a short stretch were they were putting up #2 WR numbers, while they didn't do it for a full season, would it really surprise us to see them do it?

Plus lots of TEs options.

CB is such a valuable position, some have suggested it's #2 after QB for most valuable and we got Alexander and the extremely inconsistent and injury prone King, and... hopes and question marks.

At OT we got Bakhtiari at OT and an recently injury prone hope at RT, and not much else at OT currently signed, at least if they keep insisting not to play Runyan at OT. Guess there is Turner, but he struggled at times with athletic stuff at OG, he'll need help at OT.

At DT we basically only got Clark and two consistent guys, who I don't think might be able to be #2s like a think Lazzard and MVS might, and then there is Keke, but really we have no idea what we got in him yet. St. Brown has shown more (even if two years ago).

At ILB we got Kirksey and than an extremely inconsistent Burks who I have little to no hope in. Summers, who's I like but isn't athletic enough, though Martin has good potential, I'm not sure he's going to be ready week 1.

So as far as positional needs, I honestly have WR at #4 or #5.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Beast said:

Honestly while I think we need someone else to step up, I think the need at WR has been over blown.

Even with losing Funchess, I think I could argue that WR isn't in the top 3 needs as we got Lazard and MVS who had a short stretch were they were putting up #2 WR numbers, while they didn't do it for a full season, would it really surprise us to see them do it?

Plus lots of TEs options.

CB is such a valuable position, some have suggested it's #2 after QB for most valuable and we got Alexander and the extremely inconsistent and injury prone King, and... hopes and question marks.

At OT we got Bakhtiari at OT and an recently injury prone hope at RT, and not much else at OT currently signed, at least if they keep insisting not to play Runyan at OT. Guess there is Turner, but he struggled at times with athletic stuff at OG, he'll need help at OT.

At DT we basically only got Clark and two consistent guys, who I don't think might be able to be #2s like a think Lazzard and MVS might, and then there is Keke, but really we have no idea what we got in him yet. St. Brown has shown more (even if two years ago).

At ILB we got Kirksey and than an extremely inconsistent Burks who I have little to no hope in. Summers, who's I like but isn't athletic enough, though Martin has good potential, I'm not sure he's going to be ready week 1.

So as far as positional needs, I honestly have WR at #4 or #5.

Neither King nor Burks is extremely inconsistent. King is good. Burks is bad.