Bengals CB Trae Waynes has surgery on torn pec, will miss portion of season

pwny

Darius Phillips played well in limited time last season.  Really really well actually.  This signing kind of pushed him back to the dime DB role.  I guess now he'll get a chance to show he really belongs.  Which might be the push for letting William Jackson go, regardless of how he plays.

One thing is for sure though.  They're real thin at that position now.

2 hours ago, pwny said:

That’s a sizable loss, especially for a team just coming off securing the #1 pick. 

yes its a loss, but not sure why it matters that they had the #1 pick. Bengals very likely arent competing this year, i suspect if theyre out of it by the time hes ready to come back, they just keep him on the sidelines anyway.

12 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

but not sure why it matters that they had the #1 pick.

It's just a piece of context. They has a disaster of a season last year, and have now lost their highest AAV free agent addition, who after receiving a $14M/year deal figured very heavily into the team's plans to move out of the basement of the league. And they don't really appear to have a team right now that's built to be able to sustain higher profile injuries and still be okay.

20 minutes ago, pwny said:

It's just a piece of context. They has a disaster of a season last year, and have now lost their highest AAV free agent addition, who after receiving a $14M/year deal figured very heavily into the team's plans to move out of the basement of the league. And they don't really appear to have a team right now that's built to be able to sustain higher profile injuries and still be okay.

What team is?  Nobody really pays big $$$ to backups, with a few backup QBs being the one exception, no?

• Like 1

Let's be real.  it's the Bengals.  he won't play this season.  

It's also what happens when your agent advises you to do no workouts until you sign your deal, only to be compounded by COVID and the team not trusting independent doctors to give the physical.  So he was trying to catch up physically, and gets hurt in weight training.  Such a Bengals thing to happen.

1 minute ago, INbengalfan said:

What team is?  Nobody really pays big $$$ to backups, with a few backup QBs being the one exception, no?

Paying a bunch of money to backups isn’t what I’m referring to. Good teams typically have solid depth that can step in and play when someone goes down, or have surrounding talent that can mask deficiencies that come up due to injuries. The Chiefs, for example, went 4-1 in games without Tyreek Hill (3-1 without him suiting up, 1-0 with him playing one drive) because they had other receivers and weapons step up. Bad teams like the Bengals, the Jaguars, etc. don’t have the resources to do that.

Good teams lose a big piece and often can rally or at least keep relatively on pace and can mitigate the loss by leaning on their other stars to hold them together. But when bad teams lose a big piece, they usually feel the entire impact of losing that player, because there aren’t as many other talented players there to step up. 

31 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

It's also what happens when your agent advises you to do no workouts until you sign your deal, only to be compounded by COVID and the team not trusting independent doctors to give the physical.  So he was trying to catch up physically, and gets hurt in weight training.  Such a Bengals thing to happen.

His agent advised him not to work out at all? Seems kind of counter productive for a professional athlete, dude needs to reconsider there.

1 hour ago, pwny said:

Paying a bunch of money to backups isn’t what I’m referring to. Good teams typically have solid depth that can step in and play when someone goes down, or have surrounding talent that can mask deficiencies that come up due to injuries. The Chiefs, for example, went 4-1 in games without Tyreek Hill (3-1 without him suiting up, 1-0 with him playing one drive) because they had other receivers and weapons step up. Bad teams like the Bengals, the Jaguars, etc. don’t have the resources to do that.

Good teams lose a big piece and often can rally or at least keep relatively on pace and can mitigate the loss by leaning on their other stars to hold them together. But when bad teams lose a big piece, they usually feel the entire impact of losing that player, because there aren’t as many other talented players there to step up. 

Bad teams can be deep at some positions and still be bad.  Our defensive line is deep, or was before a few injuries and an opt out.  The DBs were OK.  The LBs did us in.  On offense, we have a deep WR room, but the o-line will decide how well we do.  So I don't buy the whole "bad teams don't have the resources" part.  Every team has injuries.  Bad teams often have many injuries at the same positions.  

3 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Shrug. Far be it for me to tell a professional athlete what they should or shouldn’t do. 

Just seems like an incredibly dumb move.

I  agree.  Had several discussions about it in SBN when he posted it.  Our forum here runs on fumes in the offseason.

On 8/17/2020 at 4:54 PM, INbengalfan said:

I  agree.  Had several discussions about it in SBN when he posted it.  Our forum here runs on fumes in the offseason.

That's funny. Ours runs on fumes during the regular season! I think we had like... One post during last season? And that was with the #1 overall pick Heisman Trophy Winner Offensive Rookie of the Year on the team.

Edited by HoboRocket
  • Like 1