Final Roster Cuts/Moves Thread

e16bball

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

You can come back after 3 weeks on IR this season, and an unlimited number of players can go on IR and then come off, so it’s not the IR we used to know. It’s more like the 15-day (or perhaps 60-day) DL concept from MLB. 

It won’t end his season, he’ll be able to come back when he’s fully ready, but it allows us to keep him in the organization without using a 53-man roster spot on him. I think it’s pretty much the ideal outcome with Foster. Wish they’d do the same with Alex Smith, actually. 

I thought if he goes on IR before Sunday (or is it Monday) he can't come off it this year. That was what the beat writers were saying.

Can anyone look at the rules?

Just now, Thaiphoon said:

I thought if he goes on IR before Sunday (or is it Monday) he can't come off it this year. That was what the beat writers were saying.

That’s an interesting point, because I’ve read the same — that if he went on IR prior to 4pm today, he wouldn’t be eligible to come off in 3 weeks. 

It seems to come down to timing, and it would be odd to me if they didn’t wait until they got a little more flexibility. Would have cost them another player (for a day or two), so I guess maybe they didn’t want to risk it and will just let him stay on IR? Seems like an odd move though, given that his contract is up after the season. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

@e16bball, this seems to suggest that it's only if he was placed on IR after 4pm today. So, if correct, and he's on it beforehand, he's done.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2020/9/4/21422988/reviewing-the-nfls-roster-practice-squad-and-injured-reserve-rules-for-the-2020-season-notes

The NFL’s rules about the injured reserve list have always been extremely strict. Until 2012, every player to land on the list would not be allowed to play again in the season. Even in 2019, teams were only allowed to bring back two players from Injured Reserve, and then only eight weeks after being assigned to the list.

That all changes this year.

The first thing to know is that Injured Reserve breaks into two phases. The first one handles any players placed on the list before the roster cut-down deadline at 4 pm on Saturday, September 5th. Those players have their season end, plain and simple. You’ll see this for players with clearly severe injuries like torn ACLs.

The second phase kicks off after roster cuts. Any player on the team’s active roster can be placed on Injured Reserve. When that happens, they’re taken off the active roster like normal. But they can return to the active roster after a minimum of three weeks, not eight. And an unlimited number of players can return to action in this way.

25 minutes ago, e16bball said:

That’s an interesting point, because I’ve read the same — that if he went on IR prior to 4pm today, he wouldn’t be eligible to come off in 3 weeks. 

It seems to come down to timing, and it would be odd to me if they didn’t wait until they got a little more flexibility. Would have cost them another player (for a day or two), so I guess maybe they didn’t want to risk it and will just let him stay on IR? Seems like an odd move though, given that his contract is up after the season. 

Honestly, I don’t think he’s close to being ready to contribute at even an average level bc of his knee. I think they’ll evaluate where he is throughout the season. 

Can he be one of the players they designate for return off of IR after week 10 even if he was put on IR now?

That’s what I was hoping. That way they can get a look at him in December and evaluate if they want to re-sign him on a vet min one year prove it deal next year.

48 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

@e16bball, this seems to suggest that it's only if he was placed on IR after 4pm today. So, if correct, and he's on it beforehand, he's done.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2020/9/4/21422988/reviewing-the-nfls-roster-practice-squad-and-injured-reserve-rules-for-the-2020-season-notes

I really hate these rules. It should be like baseball, basketball and hockey when the player gets healthy they should be able to come off of IR. It just hurts the league/teams that they can’t IMO.

This really points to my fear though that Foster is not close to being healthy enough to compete at an NFL level bc or his knee injury. This is why I wanted them to keep him on PUP. If they had done that with him, he may have been able to come back the second half of the season and play. Now, he’s out for the year with no hope at all of playing in November or December.

That was a bad roster decision IMO. He should still be on PUP.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I really hate these rules. It should be like baseball, basketball and hockey when the player gets healthy they should be able to come off of IR. It just hurts the league/teams that they can’t IMO.

This really points to my fear though that Foster is not close to being healthy enough to compete at an NFL level bc or his knee injury. This is why I wanted them to keep him on PUP. If they had done that with him, he may have been able to come back the second half of the season and play. Now, he’s out for the year with no hope at all of playing in November or December.

That was a bad roster decision IMO. He should still be on PUP.

So does this go into your box of things the next HC or Rivera should get better at? 

What sense does it make to keep a player who's on a 1 year deal around if he can't show he's fully recovered from injury before the end of this season? None to me because he can't prove that by staying on IR all year.

48 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

So does this go into your box of things the next HC or Rivera should get better at? 

What sense does it make to keep a player who's on a 1 year deal around if he can't show he's fully recovered from injury before the end of this season? None to me because he can't prove that by staying on IR all year.

They took a gamble that Foster could do enough to prove he should be on the team and it didn’t, I didn’t agree with that decision but it what it is.

They can still evaluate his process throughout the year and where his knee is at bc he is on IR so technically he’s on the team, just not on the active roster. He just can’t participate in a full practice, but he can be at headquarters and work out etc. Keeping Foster on IR to see if he makes big strides in his recovery from his knee injury over the next 5 months now (September) until January in the way that Jaylon Smith did for the Cowboys is worth it bc when Foster was healthy for 10 game as a rookie he played like a pro bowler.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

They took a gamble that Foster could do enough to prove he should be on the team and it didn’t, I didn’t agree with that decision but it what it is.

They can still evaluate his process throughout the year and where his knee is at bc he is on IR so technically he’s on the team, just not on the active roster. He just can’t participate in a full practice, but he can be at headquarters and work out etc. Keeping Foster on IR to see if he makes big strides in his recovery from his knee injury over the next 5 months now (September) until January in the way that Jaylon Smith did for the Cowboys is worth it bc when Foster was healthy for 10 game as a rookie he played like a pro bowler.

Jaylon Smith had the ability to come of the list and prove to Dalllas he could be a asset by playing in actual games. Where is Foster getting that opportunity here in Washington? Playing in Actual Games? 

Edited by Skins212689

10 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Jaylon Smith had the ability to come of the list and prove to Dalllas he could be a asset by playing in actual games. Where is Foster getting that opportunity here in Washington? Playing in Actual Games? 

Jaylon Smith was further along in is recovery. Beat reporters were reporting the last few weeks that they felt Foster was going to get cut bc he wasn’t showing any explosion. The team actually did Foster a favor by not cutting him and putting him on IR.

He’ll get paid $1.7 million this year to continue to work his way back from his catastrophic knee injury instead of being cut and being unemployed with a bad knee that won’t yet let him make an NFL roster. That sounds like a pretty good deal to me, I’d take it.

47 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Jaylon Smith was further along in is recovery. Beat reporters were reporting the last few weeks that they felt Foster was going to get cut bc he wasn’t showing any explosion. The team actually did Foster a favor by not cutting him and putting him on IR.

He’ll get paid $1.7 million this year to continue to work his way back from his catastrophic knee injury instead of being cut and being unemployed with a bad knee that won’t yet let him make an NFL roster. That sounds like a pretty good deal to me, I’d take it.

What is it doing for the team? He can't play this year.