Final Roster Cuts/Moves Thread

e16bball

3 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

What is it doing for the team? He can't play this year. 

Neither can Kelvin Harmon, but at least he's still in the building, meeting with the coaches, learning, etc.

Is he going to pan out? Most likely not, but he's effectively the equivalent of a $2 scratcher. Sure, it's probably throwing money away (not ours, so what do we really care?) but I suppose there's a chance it turns into $5K (or whatever the payouts for the scratcher is).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Woz said:

I don't know it for a fact, but it's possible that he (and Alex) forced the issue by saying "we can play" and they got cleared by the team doctors. The NFLPA wouldn't allow them to be stashed on the PUP if they could win a job in September.

Smith knew that there was no risk because he was going to be paid either way and it makes for a heroic story. Foster probably wanted the shot at a weak position.

I think that’s definitely 100% correct. Still, wish we could have kept both on PUP.

4 minutes ago, Woz said:
  1. Gives you first rights at re-signing him before the rest of the league.
  2. Allows you to see if he's finally healing up before allowing him to leave.
  3. Allows you to see if he's got his head on straight before resigning him.

Personally, I would love to see him elsewhere, but I can understand giving him a shot if he really wanted it. It was a risk on his part, but perhaps a calculated one.

That YOU chose not anybody else so accept responsibility for your actions to keep Foster. 

2 minutes ago, Woz said:

Neither can Kelvin Harmon, but at least he's still in the building, meeting with the coaches, learning, etc.

Is he going to pan out? Most likely not, but he's effectively the equivalent of a $2 scratcher. Sure, it's probably throwing money away (not ours, so what do we really care?) but I suppose there's a chance it turns into $5K (or whatever the payouts for the scratcher is).

Harmon is signed for another 2-3 years unlike a Foster. 

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I will be going forward. It will basically be a 15 day disabled list. The problem is that it didn't kick in until 4pm today. So anyone being put on IR before then is on the old rules.

That's not how I read it.

I think the way it works is "if you put someone on IR before 4PM on cut down day, they're done for the year. If you want to have them eligible to return, you have to put them on the main roster, hold them, and then you can put them on IR after all of the waivers clear."

This way, a team cannot park players before cutdown and bring them back a couple weeks into the season. If you want the guy, you have to put him on the active roster, or gamble that someone is going to pick him up off of waivers.

In other words, this is the whole system going forward. So, while Alex Smith made the roster, there's a strong possibility he'll be moved to IR in the near future to clear a position (but he'll be able to be recalled if they REALLY want to roll the dice with him).

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I think that’s definitely 100% correct. Still, wish we could have kept both on PUP.

Sure, but if they force the issue, there's not a lot the team can do if the doctors say "well, they're cleared their physicals."

4 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

That YOU chose not anybody else so accept responsibility for your actions to keep Foster. 

Who is this "YOU?" Me? I don't want the guy.

Washington? They kept him via the IR list. Would it have been better to have him make the final roster and say bump Khaleke Hudson, exposing him to waivers? That doesn't make sense if he cannot really play right now, right?

Foster (for possibly forcing his way off the PUP)? He took a chance, and it backfired. However, Washington kept him.

I'm honestly asking here.

6 minutes ago, Woz said:

That's not how I read it.

I think the way it works is "if you put someone on IR before 4PM on cut down day, they're done for the year. If you want to have them eligible to return, you have to put them on the main roster, hold them, and then you can put them on IR after all of the waivers clear."

This way, a team cannot park players before cutdown and bring them back a couple weeks into the season. If you want the guy, you have to put him on the active roster, or gamble that someone is going to pick him up off of waivers.

In other words, this is the whole system going forward. So, while Alex Smith made the roster, there's a strong possibility he'll be moved to IR in the near future to clear a position (but he'll be able to be recalled if they REALLY want to roll the dice with him).

Who wants to role the Dice with Smith who hasn't been hit since his injury? Not Me. Anybody care to say Yes to this? 

1 minute ago, Woz said:

Who is this "YOU?" Me? I don't want the guy.

Washington? They kept him via the IR list. Would it have been better to have him make the final roster and say bump Khaleke Hudson, exposing him to waivers? That doesn't make sense if he cannot really play right now, right?

Foster (for possibly forcing his way off the PUP)? He took a chance, and it backfired. However, Washington kept him.

I'm honestly asking here.

The HC and GM who agreed to make him part of the 53 man roster. 

7 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Harmon is signed for another 2-3 years unlike a Foster. 

Okay, if they keep him on IR, he counts as a possible compensatory pick option in a year or two. Highly unlikely to pay off, but who knows? Cut him and he gives the team zero value for picking up his waiver way back when.

1 minute ago, Skins212689 said:

Who wants to role the Dice with Smith who hasn't been hit since his injury? Not Me. Anybody care to say Yes to this? 

No. However, by holding him, they have the chance to get something for his monstrosity of a contract that they were going to pay this year anyway.

Just now, Woz said:

Okay, if they keep him on IR, he counts as a possible compensatory pick option in a year or two. Highly unlikely to pay off, but who knows? Cut him and he gives the team zero value for picking up his waiver way back when.

As you said highly unlikely. He gets to recover from his injury and still be on the same contract he signed as a rookie. He doesn't cost the team extra money that they knew nothing of. 

1 minute ago, Skins212689 said:

The HC and GM who agreed to make him part of the 53 man roster.

Do you mean back in 2018? Both have since been fired.

He hasn't made the 53 man roster since so I'm a bit confused what you are upset about.

4 minutes ago, Woz said:

No. However, by holding him, they have the chance to get something for his monstrosity of a contract that they were going to pay this year anyway.

What's something Woz? Really? A pick, A Win, A draft pick, A play. What's something? Explain in detail. 

Edited by Skins212689

Just now, Skins212689 said:

As you said highly unlikely. He gets to recover from his injury and still be on the same contract he signed as a rookie. He doesn't cost the team extra money that they knew nothing of. 

I'm getting more confused.

Are you in favor of him being retained, which is what happened?
Would you have rather seem him released outright? I know I would have, but I can understand the logic in keeping him on IR, even if he cannot help you this year at all now. He might be willing to take a league minimum deal (or something equivalently low rent over a couple of years) in hopes of actually playing before getting one shot at a big money deal (hopefully somewhere else).

I guess I am not sure what you wanted to see happen. He isn't going to see the field. He gets a chance at rehabilitating his injury further. He gets to stay in the building. He might actually give the team some sort of value next year. They were going to have to pay him anyway due to his first round contract being guaranteed.

So what's the issue? I'm honestly missing something here.