Week 5 GDT: The Philadelphia Mash Units (3-1) vs the Arizona Geriatric Assisted Living Communities (2-2)

EaglesPeteC

3 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

I can recommend a plethora of things to do but I really don't know you. What's your age range? What are your interests? Where exactly are you staying? Are you willing to uber around?

Theres not much in south Philly other than the sports complex. But you could find a good time off East Passyunk and Passyunk square. I would reccommmend center city though. 

I have family in Atlanta and Philly is very different than Atlanta with nightlife. Where in Atlanta has pockets of good times in a sprawling city, but Philly is compressed together  but in neighborhoods. You can find places to go everywhere but West Philly lol. Actually Fairmont can be very fun but it might be bit too far to stray. But once I find out where you are I can recommend specific places as well as plan your Sunday. 

25, yes down to uber, love divey or relaxed bars, good food, nothing usually too fancy or obnoxious. And yeah, i live near EAV in atlanta which has a bunch of music venues, smoking bars, pizza shops and other local stuff. I like that vibe a lot. Staying with 4 philly guys who are friends of a friend and not sure exactly what part yet. I believe northern liberties is the neighborhood i heard?

2 hours ago, agholorsdad said:

25, yes down to uber, love divey or relaxed bars, good food, nothing usually too fancy or obnoxious. And yeah, i live near EAV in atlanta which has a bunch of music venues, smoking bars, pizza shops and other local stuff. I like that vibe a lot. Staying with 4 philly guys who are friends of a friend and not sure exactly what part yet. I believe northern liberties is the neighborhood i heard?

And I’m at Wharton and S Broad pretty much

You're in good hands if you're staying in Northern Liberites. That's where I was going to recommend. It's got a good mix of everything. But if you're staying with dudes from Philly they should know where you wanna be. NoLibs has good music venues but I guess it all depends on who's playing. Electric Factory is right there. (Was just there to see Two Door Cinema Club. Was awesome) Went to Silk City after for some food. It's like half club/half diner. Odd but cool to check out. The Fillmore, Underground Arts, Festival Pier and Union Transfer are all music spots in NoLibs or very close. But they are more like concert venues then just see some local band play a bar. Maybe check out Ortlieb's. That's a good music/bar spot. 

Bars are really cool there. You could just saunter down 2nd st. Standard Tap, North Bowl, Heritage. I've been to the Blind Pig for some food and beers before. They have these balls. lol. Like,  short rib balls fried with mashed potatoes in them. They were awesome. Cantina dos Segundos and El Camino Real for some Mexican and margaritas. Real good stuff there.  Yards Brewing is right there. Maybe take a tour during the day. 

A neighboring neighborhood is Fishtown. Cool stuff there. Barcade (a bar featuring old arcade games). Prob my favorite German style beer garden, Frankford Hall is worth the trip. Hit up Johnny Brenda's and Murph's bar if you head out that way. 

If you want something specific, let me know. I can point you in that direction. A specific neighborhood or type of bar. Dive, dance or gastropub type, etc. 

As for Sunday, the guys you are staying with are bound to know other people tailgating the game. Like everyone in Philly knows a guy or at least knows a guy that knows a guy. It's a must. See if they can get you together with someone tailgating. It's an all morning affair. Something to behold really. I went to the Atlanta/Birds game in Atlanta. Their tailgates are bush league compared to Philly. Grab a 12 pack or something and contribute to whatever tailgate you'll join and drink and hang with the fans. Such a good time. I'll be down there myself looks like. If not, def check out Xfinity Live. It's a big viewing complex right next to the stadiums surrounded by 4 or so bars. It's expensive, mind you. Beer and food are overpriced but it's really a good time during Philly sporting events. The vibe is electric during the games. It's the closest you can get to being there without being there.  They usually have some kind of pregame show setup there. Old Eagles players, backyard games and outdoor bars setup. Convince your girl to go to PBR, you'll thank me later. And you can blame me for the recommendation. But get down there early. Even just walk around an hour or so and take in the tailgates. They are ridiculous. People start at like 7 AM and go all day. 

44 minutes ago, agholorsdad said:

And I’m at Wharton and S Broad pretty much

Ah ok. Yea, that's south Philly. It's on the come up though. The Passyunk Square I referred to is right there. If you're going to hang there it's not bad. You'll def find some fun. You're right near the tourist trap cheesesteak places. I think Pats is actually off Wharton a short walk from where you'd be. Check out the Italian Market during the day. That's a nice little stroll with your lady. It's got good nightlife there. My favorite Mexican and Margarita spot is off Passyunk. Los Cabillitos. The Pub on Passyunk, The Dive Bar, Stateside all near there. Boot and Saddle is right near you. 

But my ultimate reco would be to uber to northern liberties and check spots out there. Then maybe Fishtown after. Can't really go wrong though. 

12 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Ah ok. Yea, that's south Philly. It's on the come up though. The Passyunk Square I referred to is right there. If you're going to hang there it's not bad. You'll def find some fun. You're right near the tourist trap cheesesteak places. I think Pats is actually off Wharton a short walk from where you'd be. Check out the Italian Market during the day. That's a nice little stroll with your lady. It's got good nightlife there. My favorite Mexican and Margarita spot is off Passyunk. Los Cabillitos. The Pub on Passyunk, The Dive Bar, Stateside all near there. Boot and Saddle is right near you. 

But my ultimate reco would be to uber to northern liberties and check spots out there. Then maybe Fishtown after. Can't really go wrong though. 

J this is awesome. I’ll report back on all these recs if I can remember my time there. Also lemme know who I should throw batteries at Sunday. Thanks fellas

J this is awesome. I’ll report back on all these recs if I can remember my time there. Also lemme know who I should throw batteries at Sunday. Thanks fellas

Not a problem, bruh. Enjoy yourself. Check in when you can. I'm sure myself and others will be here to help out some more. 

Also, try to get D batteries in. They are really the biggest you'll be able to sneak passed security. Triple and double A are too small to chuck and really won't do much damage. Problem is, security is tight so you'd have to use your bum to get them in. But bonus because if you get them in, they'll be bum batteries and that makes it much worse to get hit with. I'd aim for the Honey Badger or probably Fitz. I'd like to see them out. Good luck. 

1 hour ago, agholorsdad said:

Oh also, south street would be a decent thing to see. It's mostly a night time thing but you can just walk it and enjoy some city. Get some Lorenzo's Pizza. It's great drunk food but they are actually really good anyway. And the slices are bigger than your arm. You mentioned pizza so get there. If you like Atlanta pizza (I don't know how) then this will change your life. 

04+slices.jpg

Open until 4 AM. Perfect. 

14 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

Oh also, south street would be a decent thing to see. It's mostly a night time thing but you can just walk it and enjoy some city. Get some Lorenzo's Pizza. It's great drunk food but they are actually really good anyway. And the slices are bigger than your arm. You mentioned pizza so get there. If you like Atlanta pizza (I don't know how) then this will change your life. 

04+slices.jpg

Open until 4 AM. Perfect. 

Got some drinks at Pope and Triangle tavern in Passyunk. Getting breakfast at the little spoon right now and taking notes down from these posts. Got batteries, they’re in the freezer currently to harden a bit before Sunday. I have too much respect for fitz but Matthieu will go down pretty easy with his history. 

1 hour ago, agholorsdad said:

Got some drinks at Pope and Triangle tavern in Passyunk. Getting breakfast at the little spoon right now and taking notes down from these posts. Got batteries, they’re in the freezer currently to harden a bit before Sunday. I have too much respect for fitz but Matthieu will go down pretty easy with his history. 

Ah yea, you're on south street right now then. Look up Lorenzo's. I think it's the 300 block. You should go to Sabrina's for breakfast. People go ape S over that place. I've heard good things about Waffle and Wedges. It's close to you. 

Whats on the docket for the day?

If I could, I'd suggest Reading Terminal Market. Go there hungry though. Get a DiNics roast beef. And then go to Independence Beer Garden. It's right near the Liberty Bell. Like 7 blocks away. Seriously, do it. Well worth it. 

Archived