NFL General Discussion

candyman93

6 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Why is offensive line play so bad?

In my opinion:

1. Few college teams run actual pass pro sets anymore making it difficult to get the same prospects you used to

2. The new minimal contact rules in practice and camps before the season actually hurt OL prep, especially for young players 

43 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Why is offensive line play so bad?

Because DL play has become insanely better. That, and what @MWil23 said.

Also, very few teams are playing with TE’s that can block or a pass pro RB. Years ago, every team had those dudes at TE and in the backfield. Now, all TE’s are big WR’s and the RB’s are, by and large, scatback types. It’s adding to the stress out on OL in my opinion.

Technique in general for OL has gone backwards, whereas DL techniques have mightily increased. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Because DL play has become insanely better. That, and what @MWil23 said.

Also, very few teams are playing with TE’s that can block or a pass pro RB. Years ago, every team had those dudes at TE and in the backfield. Now, all TE’s are big WR’s and the RB’s are, by and large, scatback types. It’s adding to the stress out on OL in my opinion.

Technique in general for OL has gone backwards, whereas DL techniques have mightily increased. 

There’s a reason why your best young TE on a regular basis come from Iowa with Kittle, Hockenson, and now LaPorta. As a whole, they’re one of the few teams that runs a pro style hand in the dirt Traditional TE scheme.

A lot of the others run more of an H type spread look that often doesn’t translate.

14 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

There’s a reason why your best young TE on a regular basis come from Iowa with Kittle, Hockenson, and now LaPorta. As a whole, they’re one of the few teams that runs a pro style hand in the dirt Traditional TE scheme.

A lot of the others run more of an H type spread look that often doesn’t translate.

100%. I hate TE's that can't play in-line. Just play with another WR if you're playing a 4.6 TE that can't block anyone.

I do like the H-back position, but to me, that's a completely different position than TE and should be treated as such. It's today's fullback.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

100%. I hate TE's that can't play in-line. Just play with another WR if you're playing a 4.6 TE that can't block anyone.

I do like the H-back position, but to me, that's a completely different position than TE and should be treated as such. It's today's fullback.

Even with the H back they’d either better be able to block well or you’re just putting an inferior athlete on the field.

I don’t really value guys who are “ok” at everything but have no particular standout trait.  Like, what wrinkle do they provide?  How are they unique in what they bring that’s going to be problematic for a defensive coordinator?