College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

21 hours ago, candyman93 said:

He’s a great MIKE LB, but I doubt we even consider drafting him.

I’m not sure why we wouldn’t,that’s a damn good football player. But I get what you are saying, if he doesn’t fit under a certain athletic profile he probably won’t fit with us. I sure would love a guy like this on my team.

Edited by MSURacerDT55

Because of COVID and NIL, too many old dudes are sticking around in college. Which makes me happy for the kids getting paid, but it messes with Berrys guardrails.

The kids are also not really improving much.

It will sound weird, but I’m not drafting a 23-24 year old rookie. By the time that kid is ready to realistically make an impact he will probably be 26-27.

I get it from a player’s perspective. You’re most likely not going to make it long in the NFL. So milk your success in college as long as possible.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

Started watching YouTube stuff of some guys likely to go in the second round. We're in a decent position for a couple of really solid players:

1. Darnell Washington, TE UGA

2. Dalton Kincaid, TE UTAH

3. Drew Sanders, LB ARKANSAS

4. John Michael Schmitz, C MINNESOTA

5. Siaki Ika, DT BAYLOR

2 hours ago, Reginaldm9 said:

Started watching YouTube stuff of some guys likely to go in the second round. We're in a decent position for a couple of really solid players:

5. Siaki Ika, DT BAYLOR

Really great players you listed. I haven’t even considered tight end, but Deshaun loves throwing to them historically.

18 hours ago, Reginaldm9 said:

5. Siaki Ika, DT BAYLOR

Washington is a Madden create a player. Love him

• Like 2

On 12/20/2022 at 6:15 PM, candyman93 said:

Andre Carter is draft eligible now.

He’s “my guy” for the 2023 draft. Great athlete and obviously tremendous intangibles.

Ok, I guess I’ll be “that guy”.

This dude (or any dude from a small school/service academy) is a huge gamble.  He racked up 17 sacks last season, which is great obv, but who did he do it against?  Did he play a single NFL quality prospect LT all season?  I see big games against Georgia State, Massachusetts, directional Kentucky…

This season, once the secret was out and teams could key on him he’s had 3.5 sacks… but they happened in only 2 games (2.5 against Texas-San Antonio).

Like, I get it.  Great physical frame, cool story, etc., but man it’s hard to love taking such an unproven player in R2 or higher.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Washington is a Madden create a player. Love him

I know nothing about him, but I love the size.  Maybe I’m just an old, but I’m not a fan of the 6’4  245 pound TEs in most cases.  Sure, if they’re an explosive freak like Njoku that’s one thing, but guys like Harrison Bryant, Stephen Carlson or Miller Forestall?  What are we doing here?  

These dudes aren’t big enough to block at a high level nor fast enough to create mismatches.  I get they may have a good understanding of the passing game, can find soft spots in zone, play hard, whatever, but their upside is next to nil.

I want freakish monsters ideally but if not give me an athletic freak or a monster at TE.  Gotta be one or the other.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Ok, I guess I’ll be “that guy”.

This dude (or any dude from a small school/service academy) is a huge gamble.  He racked up 17 sacks last season, which is great obv, but who did he do it against?  Did he play a single NFL quality prospect LT all season?  I see big games against Georgia State, Massachusetts, directional Kentucky…

This season, once the secret was out and teams could key on him he’s had 3.5 sacks… but they happened in only 2 games (2.5 against Texas-San Antonio).

Like, I get it.  Great physical frame, cool story, etc., but man it’s hard to love taking such an unproven player in R2 or higher.

I’m curious to see how he tests. His wingspan is absolutely unbelievable and he’s got plenty of room to build on that frame. No idea how his bend or explosiveness will be tested/shown.

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I’m curious to see how he tests. His wingspan is absolutely unbelievable and he’s got plenty of room to build on that frame. No idea how his bend or explosiveness will be tested/shown.

Unless he’s a day 3 pick I can’t imagine we’d be looking at him though unfortunately.  Too many other needs to take a second TE early.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I know nothing about him, but I love the size.  Maybe I’m just an old, but I’m not a fan of the 6’4  245 pound TEs in most cases.  Sure, if they’re an explosive freak like Njoku that’s one thing, but guys like Harrison Bryant, Stephen Carlson or Miller Forestall?  What are we doing here?  

These dudes aren’t big enough to block at a high level nor fast enough to create mismatches.  I get they may have a good understanding of the passing game, can find soft spots in zone, play hard, whatever, but their upside is next to nil.

I want freakish monsters ideally but if not give me an athletic freak or a monster at TE.  Gotta be one or the other.

I’ve gotten to see him play a few times. He’s an absolute mauler as a blocker and he is still a bit raw, but I’ll roll the dice on a freak who has experience as a pro style TE system.

Give me the guy with upside…looking at him on tape against Oregon was hilarious, like watching someone at his size in the slot wearing a single digit number made me literally laugh.

• Like 1

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Unless he’s a day 3 pick I can’t imagine we’d be looking at him though unfortunately.  Too many other needs to take a second TE early.

I was actually talking about Carter from Army. I’m not his biggest fan, but if he tests well, we’d be lucky to get a prospect like him in Round 2.

I would prefer a WR or Safety, but if there’s ever a top player that falls, I think you have to take him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I was actually talking about Carter from Army. I’m not his biggest fan, but if he tests well, we’d be lucky to get a prospect like him in Round 2.

I would prefer a WR or Safety, but if there’s ever a top player that falls, I think you have to take him.

I’d be cool with it if he tests really well, but unless he’s pretty freaky athletically there’s a lot of question marks with him as a prospect imo.

DE is a traits driven position for sure, so testing is really gonna be huge for him.

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’d be cool with it if he tests really well, but unless he’s pretty freaky athletically there’s a lot of question marks with him as a prospect imo.

DE is a traits driven position for sure, so testing is really gonna be huge for him.

For sure. Unfortunately though in R2 we are looking at a lot of guys like him (if we are lucky) or proven players who aren’t great testers or have injury problems. 

• Like 1