candyman93

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

This kid + JOK would be wrecking offenses at linebacker 

Clemson defender would be a no but seeing the name and the bloodline, yes

also the way he is playing he won’t be there to pick with our 2nd rd pick

Edited by buno67
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

I am very Pro-Day, but he is not better than Tressel, at least not yet. 

I just felt Tressell would make every game close, and I always felt we'd lose in every big game. 

If it wasn't for 2 UM games, where the schools under investigation for cheating, the track record isn't even close. 

I was very anti-Tressel though and felt him getting fired was the best thing for the program because we got a modern coach who brought our offense and recruiting into the 21st century. 

2 hours ago, roger murdock said:

I always felt we'd lose in every big game. 

Interesting. I always felt the exact opposite.

9-1 vs Michigan

1 National Title, 2 other appearances 

6 B1G Titles

81% win rate

5-4 in bowl games including those 2 national championship losses and a loss to Vince Young and with Steve Bellisari year 1.

Dude did more in 10 years there than Earl Bruce or John Cooper did in 25+ years.

Sounds like revisionist history to me.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Interesting. I always felt the exact opposite.

9-1 vs Michigan

1 National Title, 2 other appearances 

6 B1G Titles

81% win rate

5-4 in bowl games including those 2 national championship losses and a loss to Vince Young and with Steve Bellisari year 1.

Dude did more in 10 years there than Earl Bruce or John Cooper did in 25+ years.

Sounds like revisionist history to me.

I was a child when Bruce and Cooper were there

Ive been a fan for 3 coaches

Tressel

Urban

Day

Urban is far and away the best, and the second best CFB coach of the last 25 years

Day wins 90% of his games and his only losses are to top 12 teams, and 2 of them the team cheated 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

I was a child when Bruce and Cooper were there

Ive been a fan for 3 coaches

Tressel

Urban

Day

Urban is far and away the best, and the second best CFB coach of the last 25 years

Day wins 90% of his games and his only losses are to top 12 teams, and 2 of them the team cheated 

For historic perspective, Tressel has the winningest % for ALL OSU coaches with 10+ years of experience for basically every single metric there is. 

Edited by MWil23
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

People disliked Tressel because we won boringly.

but we won.

Day needs a championship before I’ll even hear the argument that he’s a better coach than Tressel tbh.

He can win 7 consecutive times vs Michigan and still have one less win and one more loss.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2023 at 9:53 AM, roger murdock said:

I just felt Tressell would make every game close, and I always felt we'd lose in every big game. 

If it wasn't for 2 UM games, where the schools under investigation for cheating, the track record isn't even close. 

I was very anti-Tressel though and felt him getting fired was the best thing for the program because we got a modern coach who brought our offense and recruiting into the 21st century. 

Troy Smith won the heisman Playing in a very spread friendly offense that utilize the single back of Beanie Wells. I wanna say tress was very good at adopting his offense to the talent. The offense they ran with krenzel was different than smith which was different with Pryor. 

it’s hard for me to talk about the recruiting classes, 24/7 only let me go back as 2009 to see a class.  Idk tress didn’t pull consistent top classes but he pulled in consistent type of players and were able to develop them.

If it wasn’t for 2 UM games the track record wouldn’t be close? At this point in his career Tress has one title, and is playing for another title. Day just has a single title game appearance. Hell, if it wasn’t for that scandal, Tress potentially has another title. Believe that potential ‘11 team wins a title and it maybe never lets the Saban era take off because in ‘11 it’s LSU and OSU and in ‘12 who knows if OSU goes back to the title game cause if it wasn’t for the bowl ban, OSU is in that game vs ND. So Bama never takes off like they do cause OSU could have blocked them

Winning 80% of your games isn't good enough anymore. 

20 years ago there was far more parity in CFB than here is today. Now its a few dominant programs that need dominant recruiting classes every single year. You aren't allowed off years. You aren't allowed any slip ups. Ryan Day would be fired already if we were getting blownout week-1 by USC in a game everyone knew we'd get murdered in because the offense blows and there's no creativity. Pete Carroll literally said after the game he knew what we were going to do every play because we were predictable. For gods sake some of the best programs in the early 2000s were WV and Pittsburgh and BSU. Now its only the blue bloods winning.

Coaches like Tressel who were uber conservative have been completely phased out because its a mathematically fact that opting for the punts and field goals whenever they are presented leaves points on the board. Running safe, low risk plays over and over leaves points on the board. You have to score, and score a ton of points. You have to be dynamic and attack all over the field. You have to make things easier for your team by relying on schemes to score points, rather than overpowering the opposition like Tressell did. Kirk Ferentz is obiously nowhere near as good as Tressell, but is also a dinosaur with an outdated approach to  football and we see where its gone. 

Tressel was great for his time. But theres a reason why Urban was so next level. Urban was an actual visionary. He saw the future and made it a reality. He was ahead of his time, and basically had a market inefficiency that allowed him to kill competition until the world caught up. Tresell was a great coach, who's system was archaic and it always would limit the potential of the team. 

19 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

Ferentz is obiously nowhere near as good as Tressell, but is also a dinosaur with an outdated approach to  football and we see where it’s gone.

I loved most of your post, but kinda disagree with this part. I feel like Iowa is a routinely 5-6 win program without Kirk Ferentz like Nebraska.

Nobody wants to play in Iowa except big *** farm boys.

Edited by candyman93