Rank the top 25 defensive primes 1980-present

LuckIsGOAT

Rank them on a scale Madden scale of 100-1. 100 being a top 3 player in NFL History(any position) and 1 being a guy cut on the first day of minicamps

100: Lawrence Taylor

98: Roonie Lott, Kenny Easley, Bruce Smith, Aaron Donald, JJ Watt, Bob Sanders, Darrelle Revis

97: Derrick Brooks, Deion Sanders, Jack Lambert, Troy Polamalu, Rod Woodson, Reggie White, Ed Reed, Chris Doleman

96: Luke Kuechly, Ray Lewis, James Harrison, John Randle, Warren Sapp, Jason Taylor, Junior Seau, Mike Singletary, Derrick Thomas

I understand ur a Colts fan but Bob Sanders was  over Deion Sanders Ed Reed Reggie White Ray Lewis and Troy Polamalu... Bro that is the most homer pick I’ve ever seen lol.... and where is Patrick Willis...  bob Sanders was a very good player but I’m sorry he isn’t a better safety than Ed Reed or Troy polamalu... he not even better than Brian Dawkins to be real... 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, LuckIsGOAT said:

Rank them on a scale Madden scale of 100-1. 100 being a top 3 player in NFL History(any position) and 1 being a guy cut on the first day of minicamps

98: Roonie Lott, Kenny Easley, Bruce Smith, Aaron Donald, JJ Watt, Bob Sanders, Darrelle Revis

giphy.gif

In no universe is Bob Sanders on the same level as Smith, Watt, Donald...and ahead of guys such as Lambert, Seau, Lewis, Deion, Reggie, Woodson, Reed... As someone said, I'm putting guys like Brian Dawkins, Troy Polamalu, John Lynch ahead of him with very little hesitation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SBLIII said:

so you are saying Bob Sanders is like a top 15-20 player in NFL history?

Top 20 prime yes. His only 2 healthy seasons

2005:

1st team All Pro

#2 ranked scoring D

14-2

2007:

DPOY

1st team All pro

#1 ranked scoring D

13-3

Overall from 2004-2008 in the 52 games he started the Colts had a 41-11 record and gave up an average 17.5 per game. 2004-2008 without him they gave up an average of 21.3 and had a 27-10 record

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

I’ll fight anyone to the death that doesn’t have peak Derek Thomas in the same conversation as other GOAT Defensive players.

As far as EDGE I think he's equal with Dent, Harrison and Taylor and above the Miller, Ware Strahan, Greene, Freeny etc tier

3 minutes ago, LuckIsGOAT said:

Top 20 prime yes. His only 2 healthy seasons

2005:

1st team All Pro

#2 ranked scoring D

14-2

2007:

DPOY

1st team All pro

#1 ranked scoring D

13-3

Overall from 2004-2008 in the 52 games he started the Colts had a 41-11 record and gave up an average 17.5 per game. 2004-2008 without him they gave up an average of 21.3 and had a 27-10 record

so why didn't you list Gilmore as a 98 then?

Last 3 years average of 17.6 points given up, 2x SB, 1x champion, last 2 years DPOY, 2x All Pro. Yet you didn't list him and put Bob Sanders on a level with Reggie White etc.

I don't see any argument for that.

Edited by SBLIII
correction
  • Like 1

Why does it go 100 to 98?  Why not 99?  I'm a Giants Homer so i'll agree with 100 for LT, as for the others there's certainly people left off this list who should be on, and bob sanders is a bit of a head scratcher.  From his peers I'd put Reed, Dawkins, Polamalu ahead of him at the safety spot.  

100 Lawrence Taylor
99 Bruce Smith, Reggie White, Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Aaron Donald, Deion Sanders, JJ Watt, Ronnie Lott
98 Derrick Thomas, Derrick Brooks, John Randle, Cortez Kennedy, Darelle Revis, Patrick Willis, Julius Peppers, Brian Dawkins
97 Brian Urlacher, Warren Sapp, Charles Woodson, Champ Bailey, Rod Woodson, Mike Singletary, Darrell Green, Troy Polamalu

4 hours ago, SBLIII said:

so why didn't you list Gilmore as a 98 then?

Last 3 years average of 17.6 points given up, 2x SB, 1x champion, last 2 years DPOY, 2x All Pro. Yet you didn't list him and put Bob Sanders on a level with Reggie White etc.

I don't see any argument for that.

You missed the whole point. The Patriots D was great before Gilmore. Also in spite of the ppg the D was horrible his first year on the Patriots.

8 minutes ago, LuckIsGOAT said:

You missed the whole point. The Patriots D was great before Gilmore. Also in spite of the ppg the D was horrible his first year on the Patriots.

I was just trying to point out how ludacris it is to put Bob Sanders on this list, even more so in the 2nd tier. He was a good player when he was healthy but that's really it.

1 hour ago, Jotun_Fan said:

Why does it go 100 to 98?  Why not 99?  I'm a Giants Homer so i'll agree with 100 for LT, as for the others there's certainly people left off this list who should be on, and bob sanders is a bit of a head scratcher.  From his peers I'd put Reed, Dawkins, Polamalu ahead of him at the safety spot.  

100 Lawrence Taylor
99 Bruce Smith, Reggie White, Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Aaron Donald, Deion Sanders, JJ Watt, Ronnie Lott
98 Derrick Thomas, Derrick Brooks, John Randle, Cortez Kennedy, Darelle Revis, Patrick Willis, Julius Peppers, Brian Dawkins
97 Brian Urlacher, Warren Sapp, Charles Woodson, Champ Bailey, Rod Woodson, Mike Singletary, Darrell Green, Troy Polamalu

Because LT is 2 tiers above. Your list looks good. Willis and Urlacher above above Kuechly, Lambert or Seau is questionable though.