Changes? 1/4 of the season completed

Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, Nodisrespect said:

What about the offense too? This whole team is a burning dumpster fire we just lost to a team that got beat 44-7 by the Jaguars, and lost by 16 last week at home to the Steelers. I want a head coach upgrade, it was JDR's decision to break up a top 10 offense and with a rookie OC, it's a firable offense imo.

Offensive line is badly overpaid it looks. Penn got beat silly today and there was lil help for Manuel outside of Crabtree and a couple RBs. Downing has become predictable.

How can you 

20 minutes ago, RaiderX said:

Offensive line is badly overpaid it looks. Penn got beat silly today and there was lil help for Manuel outside of Crabtree and a couple RBs. Downing has become predictable.

How can you even narrow it down? Every player on our offense is underperforming. Amari Cooper has 120 yards receiving in 5 games!!!! Mike Wallace had that many in the game today. We have a huge systematic problem.

Nick Rapone is guy I'd like to see get a crack at a DC job. He's been excellent with Arizona's secondary for several years, teaches alot of hybrid style coverages(mixing zone and man together, disguising coverages to create confusion, creative blitz configurations from safeties and corners) and has helped develop guys who've struggled into high quality players, most notably Tony Jefferson and Tyvon Branch's sudden revival most recently

On 10/8/2017 at 7:06 PM, holyghost said:

My thought, without a " the sky is falling" tinge to it - 

You can't have a coaching staff set up this way, specifically regarding the HC, OC, DC. HC who is not really an Xs and Os type, with coordinators who also lack that same ability. We have good motivator and leader type coaches, but none of the 3 who are expert at scheming, gameplan, play callers. Both coordinators are green types who would need to be groomed under an expert football mind for this setup to work well. So who does that stuff fall on? No balance there. Who can right that ship? Not that I love Musgrave, but I think part of the reason the offense worked last year was that Musgrave was a good enough offensive mind to complement what Del Rio is well. There was some balance there in the things a team needs to succeed.

I think this week further supports my previous thoughts on Downing too. But it brings Norton back to the table too.

I mean, is there anyone here at this point who really thinks we could win a Super Bowl with these coordinators? Really? I'm sure there are supporters of those guys, but can anyone be convinced they are at all formidable?

Maybe we could succeed. But does anyone really think they can do things to win us games? In a similar way a star player like Mack or Carr can win games for you, a coordinator or coach can do alot for a team too. 

Good points. Downing is green and the issue is.... there isn't anyone on staff who is a capable offensive mind to help him him with the x/o's.  He's on a bit of an island right now alone.

Been in Africa for the last few weeks with limited interweb and having left on a high and being 2-0 to comeback and we're 2-4 is kind of eye opening and not in a good way! We obviously haven't played well and the Carr injury was a huge set back but we should be thankful that he's not out for much longer. With regard to the original post, Downing is taking a lot of heat at the moment but we should really put it in context I feel, he's a young and green OC who's had a couple games without his starting QB. It was probably too optimistic to think he'd just take Musgrave's offence, adda few wrinkles and then we're unstoppable. It's been frustrating but it's still too early to be definitive on him. Defensively, we've had a few injuries also especially at ILB and in the secondary which surely hasn't helped. I haven't seen all the games yet but the Chargers game didn't look too bad from a defensive standpoint in my book so I'd be hesitant to make a big change like dumping KNJ for Pagano just yet. From what I've seen, the defence looks like it has potantial and has been good enough if we'd had the offence of last year - I wasn't expecting miracles but did expect the offence to play similarly to last year so this has been the biggest question mark for me.

On offense, I'd like to see us give Lynch the ball 20 times a game - no use saving him for the playoffs if we don't get there

Also, we need to recreate the passing balance of last season with more longer throws to set up the run

I'd like to see us run longer routes on 3rd down, it seems like way too many short routes and trying to use YAC unsuccessfully to pick up the first down

Hard to say with the D as we've been banged up but Nelson looks a yard slow out there and i'd like to see more Luani - he looks like a big play waiting to happen

It's definitely a tough choice because if we don't improve immediately we're basically out of the playoff hunt, on the other hand we're not in a 'win now' kind of situation like the Pats or Saints with a QB up there in age so I'd probably be more patient than most would like. I would stick with the current co-ordinators until the end of the season barring a real collapse. I think the D will improve if we stay healthy and guys like Vanderdoes, Ward, Conley, Obi, James get more game time and experience. If we fail to make the playoffs this year at seasons end I would think with our roster and guys like Mark and Reggie in charge we would be a very attractive proposition for coordinators so we may be best even if we are thinking of changing to wait until the there is .

Archived