Notable/Historic/General Stats, Observations, Records, and Trends: Ravens Edition

DreamKid

2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Currently at 908, does Lamar hit or top the 1,000 yards rushing mark for the second consecutive time and establish a new NFL QB record?

Ironically his final opportunity to do so comes against the Bengals who always seem to be there for big Lamar moments. His first start at QB came against the 2018 Bengals, rushed for 117 yards in that one. And then you have the infamous 'Spin' that came on a 47 Yard TD run against the 2019 Bengals(A key highlight of Jackson's MVP campaign). They stand in front of him again to end our 2020 regular season, with an NFL record and playoff birth at stake.

Their 2020 Run D isn't the embarrassment it's been in years past either. Top 10 in Rush Yards Allowed & Top 5 in YPC(3.9). Very similar numbers to the 2020 Giants,.. before we stampeded them today. 

Edit: Won't even try to hide it lol. Messed up on the Bengals' numbers like a dummy, was looking at their Rushing totals on Offense.. not Defense. They're still terrible at stopping the run. 😅🤣 I knew something was off...  You better get that record Lamar.

It’s interesting that the Bengals held him to only 3 rushing yards in the previous game. That said, JK Dobbins also had a 34 yard rushing average (one run). I think utilizing JKD on those jet motion reads will open up more space for Lamar. That and this time we’re using FAR more 3 WR sets and thus Lamar can pick up yards scrambling vs simply off of designed runs.

Because of how Lamar has embarrassed the Bengals, I do think those guys have taken that personal and they seem to want to hit him late or target him a bit more. Because of that, I sort of don’t even want to put Lamar into too many situations where he’s running against those guys if those patterns hold.

... though this is interesting that we were in a similar enough situation last season heading into the final game where rushing records were on the table.

If Lamar does indeed dominate on the ground to the tune of 92+ yards rushing, that likely puts us in position to rush for 225+ yards rushing. Again, HIGHLY unlikely this happens, but if the Ravens were to rush for 333 rushing yards against the Bengals, not only would Lamar repeat as hitting 1000 rushing yds back to back, but our rushing offense would repeat as hitting 3000 rushing yards in back to back seasons. Again, highly unlikely we could rush for so much unless the game heads into OT or something, but just throwing it out there.

• Like 1

Speaking of rushing records, JK Dobbins this past game hit 7 rushing TDs on the season, surpassing Jamal Lewis as the most rushing TDs for a rookie RB in Ravens history.

It looks unlikely at this point that Humphrey will be able to break the FF record at this point, though perhaps he can catch the Bengals slipping.

• Like 1

• The Ravens finish with 3,071 team rushing yards this season to finish with the 4th most rushing yards in history. Falling 19 yards short of the 3rd place Buffalo Bills (with OJ Simpson) for 3rd place (though they did it impressively within only 14 games- which is pretty crazy). Also as mentioned within the GDT, this makes the Ravens the first team in NFL history to rush for 3000 yards in b2b seasons.
  • Related, obviously Lamar Jackson finished the game with 97 rushing yards to put him at 1005 yds rushing on the season. That total puts Lamar Jackson with the 3rd highest rushing total for a QB in NFL history, falling just 34 yards shy of Mike Vick for 2nd place. What’s more, Lamar, similar to the above team record... becomes the first QB in history to rush for 1000 yds in back to back seasons.
  • Like 2

Fresh off the presses:

JK Dobbins with his 13 carry, 160 yds rushing performance, puts him at 805 yds on 134 rushing carries; giving him the franchise RB record for most rushing y/a in a single season at 6.01 y/c.

He is the first RB in franchise history to surpass the 6.0 milestone. The only other runner to reach the 6.0 threshold on 12 carries, 60 yards was Cory Ross back in 2007. 

Dobbins also finishes the season with 9 rushing TDs, smashing Jamal Lewis’ franchise rookie rushing record of 6 TDs, by three scores.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Fresh off the presses:

JK Dobbins with his 13 carry, 160 yds rushing performance, puts him at 805 yds on 134 rushing carries; giving him the franchise RB record for most rushing y/a in a single season at 6.01 y/c.

He is the first RB in franchise history to surpass the 6.0 milestone. The only other runner to reach the 6.0 threshold on 12 carries, 60 yards was Cory Ross back in 2007. 

Dobbins also finishes the season with 9 rushing TDs, smashing Jamal Lewis’ franchise rookie rushing record of 6 TDs, by three scores.

I was confused when we drafted Dobbins but he’s been unreal, and his legs could be the thing that gets us over the hump in the wildcard round 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

Let's also talk about the boys rushing for 3,000+ yards in back to back seasons 😳🔥

Edit just seen DB posted it 😅

You knew I was just waiting. My love of this team reaching unique stats is unreal, had we broken the rushing game record... it would’ve also moved us into 3rd all time in rushing yards for a team on the season.

9 hours ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

I was confused when we drafted Dobbins but he’s been unreal, and his legs could be the thing that gets us over the hump in the wildcard round 

Agreed. I think this rushing attack that we have this season is actually BETTER than last year. Gus is better than 2019 Gus as both a receiver and as a runner. Justice Hill has superior run vision to his 2019 self based on the sample size provided. While Ingram is easily worse than his 2019 self, Dobbins is easily better than 2019 Ingram. The only RBs I’d consider taking above current Dobbins in franchise history would be Jamal Lewis seasons 1-3 and Rice seasons 2-4... and with Rice it’s closer than I think the stats would indicate. Dobbins is the superior goal line runner and better pass blocker.

I can’t wait to see how good Dobbins can look with an offseason to work on his flaws. If he improves his skills as a receiver, I think he’s a top 5 back in the league. I personally would put him top 12 right now, but could move higher with a huge playoffs showing.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Odd Fact- The Ravens have drafted 3 Pro Bowl QBs and Joe Flacco the club's All-Time QB and Super Bowl MVP isn't one of them. Plus, Lamar Jackson is the only one to make the Pro Bowl as an actual Raven.

2005 6th Round Pick Derek Anderson- Made the 2007 Pro Bowl for the Cleveland Browns.

2011 6th Round Pick Tyrod Taylor- Made the 2015 Pro Bowl for the Buffalo Bills.

2018 1st Round Pick Lamar Jackson- Made the 2019 Pro Bowl.

These are the QBs that have started a game for the Ravens and made the Pro Bowl at some point in their career: Vinny Testaverde, Jim Harbaugh, Trent Dilfer, Elvis Grbac, Randall Cunningham, Jeff Blake, Steve McNair, Matt Schaub, Tyrod Taylor, Robert Griffin III, and Lamar Jackson.

So of the 21 QBs to ever start a game for the Baltimore Ravens, 11 have made the Pro Bowl. The 10 who didn't? 

Eric Zier, Tony Banks, Stoney Case, Scott Mitchell, Chris Redman, Kyle Boller, Anthony Wright, Troy Smith, Jimmy Clausen, Ryan Mallet, and.... Joe Flacco.

l3vRkl5gz6EGFTTva.gif

Image result for joe flacco super bowl trophy

Image result for joe flacco raven wings

JOE FLACCO VOTED AS MOST ATTRACTIVE PLAYER IN THE NFL

BY FANSIDED AND JOE SCHILLER/FANSIDED VIA EBONY BIRD • JUNE 30, 2017

Joe Flacco might not have had a great season on the field, but he stays winning off of it.

You can say all you want about Joe Flacco’s play, but you can’t knock his looks.

The folks at wearefanatics.com held a survey to find out who the most attractive player in the NFL was, and here were the guidelines.

To find out, we showed headshots of NFL players to a group of impartial assessors who ranked each player on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the most attractive and one being the least attractive. We then averaged the scores. Here’s what we discovered.

The results of the survey were not surprising.  Baltimore Raven’s quarterback Joe Flacco was voted as the most attractive player in the NFL. He received an 8.2 average attractive rating. This was .1 better than Chicago Bears quarterback Matt Barkley and Lions fullback Michael Burton. Flacco was not the only Raven to make the list. Fullback Kyle Juszczyk finished with 7.4 rating, which was good enough to tie him for 8th.

Image result for joe flacco smile

Edited by DreamKid

https://theathletic.com/2365422/2021/02/04/baltimore-ravens-2000-super-bowl-champions/

For those with an Athletic subscription, a fun look back on the 2000 Super Bowl team as we hit the 20 year anniversary.

I've always felt like that team never really gets its full due as a historically great TEAM in league history. Obviously everyone remembers how good the defense was - and rightfully so. And the whole TD drought thing is always a big talking point with the team. I think it's hard for people to wrap their heads around the idea that a team quarterbacked by Trent Dilfer was that great, but he really did just do everything he needed to do and a rookie Jamal Lewis was an absolute monster in the backfield as well.

I'd put our play down the stretch up there with many of the all-time greats in league historyFinished the season on a 11 game winning streak with a historically dominant postseason run in which we won every game by at least 2 scores. The defense SCORED more touchdowns during the playoffs (2) than they gave up (1). The Super Bowl performance was damn near perfect and 34-7 actually flatters the Giants - they knew they were beaten basically as soon as they took the field. They really just became the perfect version of what that team could be. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

With 17 games next year, the chance of us having 3 1K rushers is even higher. I really think Lamar, JK, and Gus can do it. 

I'd actually give it a 35-40% chance of happening. Biggest obstacle to it all would be Justice Hill. Does he emerge enough to significantly cut into their workload?

• 5 months later...
On 3/28/2021 at 3:43 PM, DreamKid said:

With 17 games next year, the chance of us having 3 1K rushers is even higher. I really think Lamar, JK, and Gus can do it. 

I'd actually give it a 35-40% chance of happening. Biggest obstacle to it all would be Justice Hill. Does he emerge enough to significantly cut into their workload?

Turns out the biggest obstacle was season ending injuries to the entire RB room... 😒

@diamondbull424 Where do you think we end up in terms of rushing totals this year? Still too early to really get a good read on things with the see-saw performance of the offensive line from Week 1-2, but do you have any early guesses? 3K again?

8 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Turns out the biggest obstacle was season ending injuries to the entire RB room... 😒

@diamondbull424 Where do you think we end up in terms of rushing totals this year? Still too early to really get a good read on things with the see-saw performance of the offensive line from Week 1-2, but do you have any early guesses? 3K again?

Considering the NFCN and AFCW defenses we’ll be facing and their lack of familiarity with our rushing attack (outside of the Chiefs, who we just impaled), I’d like to think no team has shown to be well equipped stopping the complexities of our rushing attack 1st time around.

I’d expect the inter-divisional matchups to have us average roughly 210 rushing ypg. ~1680 yds

Whereas the defenses for all of our AFCN opponents will be very familiar, yet last season they still had typically a game where they did extremely well and a game where they were ran over. See no reason the trend won’t continue this season. Only I’d expect the Bengals to not give up a historic rushing night like last season. 

2020 Rush Average
Browns- 171
Steelers- 197
Bengals- 282.5

So considering the 2020 numbers, I’d expect something in 2021 like:
Browns- 170
Steelers- 180
Bengals- 215
Total: ~1130 yds

Lastly the other opponents are also quite familiar with our rushing attack, I’d expect somewhere around 180 to be a solid guess in those situations as well.
~ 540 yds

So all that said, I’d assume we rush for roughly 3350 yds, once again breaking the record.

• Like 1