A coach's rant - This team is worse than we think.

Dallas94Ware

@The_Slamman, I respect your view. Always have. And you make a valid.point in that Dak, on a franchise tag, is OVERPAID. I guess I should have written it better - it isnt that he is not paid, it is that he has not gotten the contract he has earned. 

His turnovers however, one can argue that too many of them are the result of his team's shortcomings, and being forced to ballout from behind. One can also counter-argue that when he was playing it safe, everyone complained he is just playing game manager. Now that he has been throwing up field, resulting in miscues, misthrows, and more turnovers than we are used to.from him (1 from receiver mistakes, 1 end game to force a miracle mind you, and unruly fumbles that we cannot have), he is being criticized for that. Can there be a middle ground? Surely there MUST be. But not when the team is always 20 points behind because of this defense. It leaves no room for anything other than gambles up field if you expect to keep pace. So lets keep the situation in the proper context - it is not as.dire TO wise with the right context, nor as squeeky clean either.

As for the subject itself. I dove deeper into the game film itself. And what I saw disgusted me. And with how terrible everyone is saying this team is, well, I thought it would catch some eyes to say it is even worse. And not because the defense is terrible. Not because the blocking has been atrocious. But because everything has been just plain horrible. 

Sure, Dak has not been.perfection. We dont need him to be Mahomes. Would love it if so, but this team is built differently. Dak has put this team in position over and over to steal a win on a miracle comeback. But his team falters. His fumbles have not helped, no way. But onecmust admit, if not for how absurdly on the money he has gotten when we needed it from him, we.would not have had a chance to win in any of the 4 games. He has been the 1 comsistent piece elevating the team from the abyss. Does he sometimes.aid in ua getting to that abyss with those 2 fumbles? Yeah i suppose. But hes the only reason we have had a fighting chance. That says a lot.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

Okay, a quarter into the season, we are 1and 3 and I said from game 1 this coach sucks, he DOES NOT enforce fundamentals, and this rogue approach to coaching, going for it on 4th down all the time, playing fast and loose instead of playing smart will show up in the loss column.

And what was it someone wrote? "I find it hilarious you wrote: we paid for it with a loss."

Yeah? How hilarious is it now?

Hey I agree. When i knocked week 1s decision to go for it on 4th down in the red zone, folks here said they like the choice. Analytics be damned, analytics do not replace COACHING. Any coaching instinct left in me screamed it was a bad idea, and continues to be a bad idea! I.would think even more so in a professional NFL coach. But the analytics saycit, so it must be true, yeah?

Screw analytics, screw.mccarthy. Id rather have brought Wade freakin Phillips back than this guy. Hated it from the.start. How do you win a ring with an all time.great in GB and still get run out of town? That says all one needs to know.

On one third down against Seattle, this defense lined up its safeties at linebacker. And dropped the linebackers into a mock cover 3.

The result? Big play to Lockett.

This is an example of stupidity. An example of how much of a mockery this team is from the top down, worse "than we think"

On a third down on offense, against the Rams, we ran Zeke on a curl from the backfield into the middle of the field to find a hole in the blitz. Good idea, right? No, because we also ran Lamb on a slant right through the curl. What butt backwards play design is that? Easy blitz to beat, easy first down to earn, and play design causes a meltdown. 

Its a disaster. And its depressing.

I think a ton of this really boils down to paying the wrong players.

We did this before, and yes I keep saying this. But we did this before with Barber, Ratliff, Austin, Lee, James, Spencer, Kosier, Free etc. Paid all these guys with one good season or injury problems, expecting big things. And we got 8-8x3. 

Lawrence, Smith, and all these contracts we doled out. Resources we should have spent elsewhere. The desperation to hold on to a guy in hopes that 1nyear turns into a career is biting us. See how this team handled Murray? That is how itcshould handle more situations. One good year does not make a career. The entire body of work must be accounted for. 1 of 4? 1 of 3? Have to make the tough choices and let them walk. Or gamble on one wisely, and let the others walk.

1 hour ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Hey I agree. When i knocked week 1s decision to go for it on 4th down in the red zone, folks here said they like the choice. Analytics be damned, analytics do not replace COACHING. Any coaching instinct left in me screamed it was a bad idea, and continues to be a bad idea! I.would think even more so in a professional NFL coach. But the analytics saycit, so it must be true, yeah?

Screw analytics, screw.mccarthy. Id rather have brought Wade freakin Phillips back than this guy. Hated it from the.start. How do you win a ring with an all time.great in GB and still get run out of town? That says all one needs to know.

Like I said D94ware, who's laughing now?

Oh that's right, THE 1ST PLACE FRICKIN IGGLES!

2 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

@The_Slamman, I respect your view. Always have. And you make a valid.point in that Dak, on a franchise tag, is OVERPAID. I guess I should have written it better - it isnt that he is not paid, it is that he has not gotten the contract he has earned. 

His turnovers however, one can argue that too many of them are the result of his team's shortcomings, and being forced to ballout from behind. One can also counter-argue that when he was playing it safe, everyone complained he is just playing game manager. Now that he has been throwing up field, resulting in miscues, misthrows, and more turnovers than we are used to.from him (1 from receiver mistakes, 1 end game to force a miracle mind you, and unruly fumbles that we cannot have), he is being criticized for that. Can there be a middle ground? Surely there MUST be. But not when the team is always 20 points behind because of this defense. It leaves no room for anything other than gambles up field if you expect to keep pace. So lets keep the situation in the proper context - it is not as.dire TO wise with the right context, nor as squeeky clean either.

As for the subject itself. I dove deeper into the game film itself. And what I saw disgusted me. And with how terrible everyone is saying this team is, well, I thought it would catch some eyes to say it is even worse. And not because the defense is terrible. Not because the blocking has been atrocious. But because everything has been just plain horrible. 

Sure, Dak has not been.perfection. We dont need him to be Mahomes. Would love it if so, but this team is built differently. Dak has put this team in position over and over to steal a win on a miracle comeback. But his team falters. His fumbles have not helped, no way. But onecmust admit, if not for how absurdly on the money he has gotten when we needed it from him, we.would not have had a chance to win in any of the 4 games. He has been the 1 comsistent piece elevating the team from the abyss. Does he sometimes.aid in ua getting to that abyss with those 2 fumbles? Yeah i suppose. But hes the only reason we have had a fighting chance. That says a lot.

Here’s my issue with the original post and my response to this post... the Dallas Cowboys are built to win games offensively. There is no mystery about it.  Just follow the money and draft resources.  In 2020, the cowboys have $101,000,000 of the salary cap dedicated to offense to only $39,000,000 dedicated to defense.  Dak has 2 first round WRs, a 1st round rb, on the OL he had 2 first rounders and 1 second rounder, and a third rounder on the bench.  Our defense has 1 legit first rounder.  When nearly 3/4 of the teams cap is dedicated to the offense and most of the top draft capital dedicated to the offense... the offense is SUPPOSED to carry the team.  But that’s not what’s happening.  What is happening is offensive TOs are putting this team in a hole that our defense is not equipped to overcome.  And Dak is contributing to the problem.  And, I do have a problem with our fan base giving Dak a pass because he’s putting up potentially record breaking stats.  

5 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

The original post in this thread is as comical as the headline "the team is worse than we think."  First, I don't know how bad "we" think the team is.  Me, Personally, I think the defense is the worst I've ever seen at the professional level.  How could a team really be worse than that?  IDK.  Second, the conclusion "Just about the only thing that has not been bad? The only star on this team that has not yet gotten paid. And that in itself is proof of much of a mess this team truly is," crosses the line of absurdity to settle home as purely delusional (assuming the "star who has not been paid is Dak).  Dak is making $31.4M this year.  This is more than Russell Wilson ($31M), Aaron Rodgers ($21M),  Tom Brady ($25M), etc.  https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/2020/  So, the "star" who has not been paid is actually the highest paid qb in 2020.  

Now, how does that "star" compare to others in the most when it comes to TOs?  Dak has committed 6 TOs in 4 games. Russell Wilson has 2 TOs.  Aaron Rodgers has 0 TOs.  Carson Wentz has 8 TOs.  Daniel Jones has 7 TOs.  If Dak would stop turning the ball over... we would probably be 3-1 right now.  Here's the thing... we simply cannot turn the ball over.  As bad as the defense is... It is our offensive TOs that put us behind so much the past 2 weeks.  Many apologists want to give Dak a pass because he puts up pretty stats.  Those stats are coming because Dak is turning the ball over allowing other teams to abuse our defense and jump out to crazy leads.  Defenses then play to protect the lead in the 4th quarter.  So, "Coach" what exactly do you tell your teams about the importance of winning the turnover battle?  You tell its fine just as long as you put up nice stats in the 4th quarter?

comparing those QBs are their turnovers can be and in this case is so misleading. Dak has the disadvantage of a team's defense who is, what most agree, on all-time bad pace, which leads Dak to perhaps Force the issue. all while having his offensive line devastated. (we have the 3rd or 4th RT?, plus have a LG who is trash, plus an in and out injured LT, with a backup center, starting.) we have a great RB who we don't have nearly enough time to run the ball when Dallas falls behind by 2-3 or even 4 scores. 

when other QBs are put in those situations as often as Dak, and still scores more than 30 a game, let me know. 

Meanwhile there are only 2 things in not just the NFL, but in team sports, and that is scoring points and stopping opponents in scoring points

So Dak's # 1 job for a QB and a offense is scoring (winning is a team job of offense, defense, ST and coaching) and Dak has led Dallas to 3rd in the NFL in a league were scoring is near an all-time high. I don't give a F about his Stats, He is doing his job at or near top level in SCORING .. So even with his miscues and imperfections his MAIN JOB (SCORING) is being done at a extremely high level. With even half a defense Dak would be near TOP in MVP talk. Yet the fan base here stays complaining about Dak's every little negative play, miss thrown ball etc.. 

I never seen shet like this in all of my 55+ years living.. un-freakin-believable

Edited by resilient part 2

19 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

comparing those QBs are their turnovers can be and in this case is so misleading. Dak has the disadvantage of a team's defense who is, what most agree, on all-time bad pace, which leads Dak to perhaps Force the issue. all while having his offensive line devastated. (we have the 3rd or 4th RT?, plus have a LG who is trash, plus an in and out injured LT, with a backup center, starting.) we have a great RB who we don't have nearly enough time to run the ball when Dallas falls behind by 2-3 or even 4 scores. 

when other QBs are put in those situations as often as Dak, and still scores more than 30 a game, let me know. 

Meanwhile there are only 2 things in not just the NFL, but in team sports, and that is scoring points and stopping opponents in scoring points

So Dak's # 1 job for a QB and a offense is scoring (winning is a team job of offense, defense, ST and coaching) and Dak has led Dallas to 3rd in the NFL in a league were scoring is near an all-time high. I don't give a F about his Stats, He is doing his job at or near top level in SCORING .. So even with his miscues and imperfections his MAIN JOB (SCORING) is being done at a extremely high level. With even half a defense Dak would be near TOP in MVP talk. Yet the fan base here stays complaining about Dak's every little negative play, miss thrown ball etc.. 

I never seen shet like this in all of my 55+ years living.. un-freakin-believable

Sorry, you are oversimplifying the nfl and You completely fail to take into account the business aspect of assembling a team.   You are thinking linearly and without taking into account economics.  What you give to one player you take from something else.  This isn’t college football where Nick Saban can recruit the very best offensive/defensive/special teams talent.  When nearly 75%  of a teams resources and nearly all high end draft capital is dedicated to the offense... you cannot pretend that the defense is an equal partner when it comes to winning football games.  Stated more accurately... Dak’s #1 job is to outscore the other team REGARDLESS of how poorly our defense plays.  Let this sink in... Dak by HIMSELF is being paid almost as much money as our ENTIRE DEFENSE including back ups.  Dallas could have kept quality veteran defensive players like Jones Or Quinn but it would come at the expense of franchising Dak and keeping Coop.  With all of the capital dedicated to Dak and the offense, Dak is EXPECTED to be able to overcome our defensive shortcomings.  

34 minutes ago, The_Slamman said:

Sorry, you are oversimplifying the nfl and You completely fail to take into account the business aspect of assembling a team.   You are thinking linearly and without taking into account economics.  What you give to one player you take from something else.  This isn’t college football where Nick Saban can recruit the very best offensive/defensive/special teams talent.  When nearly 75%  of a teams resources and nearly all high end draft capital is dedicated to the offense... you cannot pretend that the defense is an equal partner when it comes to winning football games.  Stated more accurately... Dak’s #1 job is to outscore the other team REGARDLESS of how poorly our defense plays.  Let this sink in... Dak by HIMSELF is being paid almost as much money as our ENTIRE DEFENSE including back ups.  Dallas could have kept quality veteran defensive players like Jones Or Quinn but it would come at the expense of franchising Dak and keeping Coop.  With all of the capital dedicated to Dak and the offense, Dak is EXPECTED to be able to overcome our defensive shortcomings.  

i guess we are arguing 2 different things. I agree 100% with your economic angle. If he gets paid too much though that shouldn't be held against Dak and his play, which has been very good. But rather on JJ and company for failing to get him signed way back when he could have had him for far cheaper. the fact that JJ+ failed to reach a contract mainly/rumored to be over 4 or a 5 year contract was absurd. Now a year+ later Dak is in a position to get exponentially more money was a monumental mistake by the front office. 

My argument is Dak can only do so much as a QB, and your logic of doing more means he should average 40 points a game??

Dak has been doing good-very good and sometimes great overall under the circumstances, yet is getting the type of hate (from some) that a QB like Wentz should be receiving.. Dak shouldn't ever get blamed because Dallas' front office is, has, and will probably always be the main problem.

1 hour ago, The_Slamman said:

Here’s my issue with the original post and my response to this post... the Dallas Cowboys are built to win games offensively. There is no mystery about it.  Just follow the money and draft resources.  In 2020, the cowboys have $101,000,000 of the salary cap dedicated to offense to only $39,000,000 dedicated to defense.  Dak has 2 first round WRs, a 1st round rb, on the OL he had 2 first rounders and 1 second rounder, and a third rounder on the bench.  Our defense has 1 legit first rounder.  When nearly 3/4 of the teams cap is dedicated to the offense and most of the top draft capital dedicated to the offense... the offense is SUPPOSED to carry the team.  But that’s not what’s happening.  What is happening is offensive TOs are putting this team in a hole that our defense is not equipped to overcome.  And Dak is contributing to the problem.  And, I do have a problem with our fan base giving Dak a pass because he’s putting up potentially record breaking stats.  

I love you slam - but everything you just said is false. The Cowboys have $75m dedicated to defense, not $39m. The Dak turnovers are mostly not his fault. Our OL is trash and he keeps getting hit. 2 of the INTs were hail marys. That should never be held against any QB. Its a desperation play. We literally only do 1 thing well - throw. Even Zeke isnt holding up - - - which I think is the OL not him. He looks good running. Crap catching. 

Total Cap Liabilities: $193,802,614
  • Top 51: $171,770,648
  • Team Cap Space: $23,934,664
  • Offense: $101,059,348
  • Defense: $74,971,084
  • Special: $5,120,833

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I love you slam - but everything you just said is false. The Cowboys have $75m dedicated to defense, not $39m. The Dak turnovers are mostly not his fault. Our OL is trash and he keeps getting hit. 2 of the INTs were hail marys. That should never be held against any QB. Its a desperation play. We literally only do 1 thing well - throw. Even Zeke isnt holding up - - - which I think is the OL not him. He looks good running. Crap catching. 

Instead of doing all these breakdowns, isn't just easier to blame Dak.. Our one shinning star (+ CeeDee of course)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

https://overthecap.com/positional-spending/

Cowboys $35,042,787 $12,498,715 $18,704,240 $6,554,264 $28,116,542 $100,916,548 $15,889,970 $18,649,442 $19,284,014 $4,208,015 $16,084,425 $39,576,454

26 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Hey Matts, you know how you love to blame the WR's for drops and sudo give credit to Dak as if they should have caught them?

You gonna count the 4 Browns dropped INT's against Dak on Sunday?