NCAA Basketball Thread: '21-22

NYRaider

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

He should definitely go where ever he wants to play because he's going to be a lottery pick regardless and I'm sure he'd love to stay home and play for his dad. But from a business perspective both short term and long term it's pretty risky. If he goes to the G-League he can earn $500K next year in addition to signing a shoe deal and profiting off of other investments. And if plays for a blue blood program like Duke or UNC he'll be on ESPN 2/3 times a week and will be a household name by the time the draft rolls around which would likely lead to a bigger shoe deal and more endorsement deals early in his career. 

I mean, I get it from the business perspective but PBJ's family is well off. Not stupid rich but his dad makes over $350,000 a year at UWM so I can understand putting a different emphasis on college.

Speaking of college basketball @beekay414 have you heard about Overtime's new professional HS basketball league that's launching in September? That league has the potential to really shake things up for top basketball recruits. They just got the nod of approval from Adam Silver and have received investments from Kevin Durant, Carmelo Anthony, and the late David Stern. Apparently they're going to have two former NBA executives running the league and if a kid decides to play in it and doesn't go pro they're going to give him a full ride scholarship in addition to the $100K+ they'll make per season while in the league. 

If I'm Overtime I'd put the full court press on Emoni Bates. And for a guy like Bates it'd make a ton of sense to play his final year of HS basketball in the league and then go the G-League route before entering the draft. 

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I mean, I get it from the business perspective but PBJ's family is well off. Not stupid rich but his dad makes over $350,000 a year at UWM so I can understand putting a different emphasis on college.

Even if you're putting an emphasis on your degree though is UWM a good school? Duke and UNC are two of the top universities in the country. 

Speaking of college basketball @beekay414 have you heard about Overtime's new professional HS basketball league that's launching in September? That league has the potential to really shake things up for top basketball recruits. They just got the nod of approval from Adam Silver and have received investments from Kevin Durant, Carmelo Anthony, and the late David Stern. Apparently they're going to have two former NBA executives running the league and if a kid decides to play in it and doesn't go pro they're going to give him a full ride scholarship in addition to the $100K+ they'll make per season while in the league. 

If I'm Overtime I'd put the full court press on Emoni Bates. And for a guy like Bates it'd make a ton of sense to play his final year of HS basketball in the league and then go the G-League route before entering the draft. 

Personally, I see it as a positive overall. You effectively end the one and done era and the recruiting that came with it so that's nothing but a positive for college basketball. Sure, you lose out on star power but they'll make do. Plus, if anything, it forces the NCAA to change it's model, which is nothing but good for the players.

Even if you're putting an emphasis on your degree though is UWM a good school? Duke and UNC are two of the top universities in the country. 

It's a fine school assuming you don't enroll in a stupid program lol. I have several friends that graduated from UWM and they all have high paying jobs. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Personally, I see it as a positive overall. You effectively end the one and done era and the recruiting that came with it so that's nothing but a positive for college basketball. Sure, you lose out on star power but they'll make do. Plus, if anything, it forces the NCAA to change it's model, which is nothing but good for the players.

IIRC the NCAA is already set to allow college athletes profit off of their likeness in 2022. But with Over Time's league and the G-League path now available to guys it's really gonna shake things up, IMO. The NBA honestly just needs to do away with the one-n-done rule entirely and let guys come straight out of HS if they want too. 

It's funny though because despite LaVar Ball failing to establish his own league and monetize LaMelo's career with own shoe while he was in HS, he definitely was at the start of all of this. Him being so public about how unfair the NCAA is to their athletes and LaMelo going the route he did on such a public stage created new avenues for future players. 

And it all started because LiAngelo Ball got caught stealing from the Louis Vuitton store while in China during his freshman year at UCLA. The butterfly effect, lol. 

6 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

It's a fine school assuming you don't enroll in a stupid program lol. I have several friends that graduated from UWM and they all have high paying jobs. 

Is there team pretty decent? Do you think with PBJ they'd had a chance to make a run in March?

Just now, NYRaider said:

Is there team pretty decent? Do you think with PBJ they'd had a chance to make a run in March?

The Horizon League is a joke lol. PBJ by himself makes UWM the favorite in the conference. They'll lose Te'jon Lucas, Josh Thomas and Amir Allen so that's not ideal but their leading scorer DeAndre Gholston is back. Plus, PBJ might be able to bring a couple others with him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

The Horizon League is a joke lol. PBJ by himself makes UWM the favorite in the conference. They'll lose Te'jon Lucas, Josh Thomas and Amir Allen so that's not ideal but their leading scorer DeAndre Gholston is back. Plus, PBJ might be able to bring a couple others with him.

I like PBJ as a prospect he reminds me of Michael Porter Jr. Interested to see when he makes his decision. 

10 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I like PBJ as a prospect he reminds me of Michael Porter Jr. Interested to see when he makes his decision. 

Also forgot to mention they got a transfer from former 4* MO PG Jordan Lathon coming in. Would assume they'd land Kyle Ross (3* IN PF) and they might be able to get Brandin Podziemski (3* WI SG) but he's got legit offers.

Even if UWM doesn't get another recruit to follow PBJ, they'd still have a really nice squad.

Jordan Lathon
DeAndre Gholston
Vin Baker Jr
Patrick Baldwin Jr
Tafari Simms

Is about as good/talented as you could ever expect a modern day Horizon League team to be.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1