NCAA Basketball Thread: '21-22

NYRaider

7 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

This game against Oklahoma State is why I cannot take West Virginia serious in the tournament. Just piss poor coaching. Continue to play man to man while getting blown by all game. Also they don’t even pretend to play much defense 

Weird WVU team. Top tier offense, 3 guys who can get you a bucket in a pinch, but very mediocre D. You’d have an amazing team if you could have injected this offense into any of those press Virginia squads.

2 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

I’ve given Duke a pass this season. It was clear from the very beginning Coach K wasn’t thrilled playing the season because of the pandemic and so many games getting cancelled. Then the ultimate homecourt advantage Duke had was taken away because of no fans. Duke will be back next season when there is a more sense of a normal season with fans. 

it's a shame no other teams had to deal with it 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

it's a shame no other teams had to deal with it 

Never said that. I just said it was clear from the beginning Coach K didn’t want to play the season because of the pandemic and games being cancelled.

The pandemic effect a lot of teams in every sport. Kentucky hasn’t been the same this season either in basketball. College football  teams like LSU and Penn State wasn’t the same. In baseball the Cards had to play a lot of double headers in the regular season because of covid and it really effected them in the postseason. 

1 minute ago, stl4life07 said:

Never said that. I just said it was clear from the beginning Coach K didn’t want to play the season because of the pandemic and games being cancelled.

The pandemic effect a lot of teams in every sport. Kentucky hasn’t been the same this season either in basketball. College football  teams like LSU and Penn State wasn’t the same. In baseball the Cards had to play a lot of double headers in the regular season because of covid and it really effected them in the postseason. 

he doesn't get an out because he didn't want to play. 

2 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

he doesn't get an out because he didn't want to play. 

To me he does. When the last time Duke has this bad of a season came in the 1994-1995 season and it took the worst pandemic since the Spanish Flu for it to happen yes I’m definitely giving Coach K a pass. Now if Duke struggles next season then I can reevaluate this season but if Duke bounces back next season and continue to be Duke moving forward, how many people is going to remember how bad this season was? 

1 minute ago, stl4life07 said:

To me he does. When the last time Duke has this bad of a season came in the 1994-1995 season and it took the worst pandemic since the Spanish Flu for it to happen yes I’m definitely giving Coach K a pass. Now if Duke struggles next season then I can reevaluate this season but if Duke bounces back next season and continue to be Duke moving forward, how many people is going to remember how bad this season was? 

he did a bad job this year. there's no pass to be given. duke was not a good team this year and the blame falls on coach k, it's not really debatable. 

guess the celtics are actually one of the best teams in the league but covid made it difficult so they get a pass this year. see how silly it sounds?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

he did a bad job this year. there's no pass to be given. duke was not a good team this year and the blame falls on coach k, it's not really debatable. 

guess the celtics are actually one of the best teams in the league but covid made it difficult so they get a pass this year. see how silly it sounds?

So Coach K forgot how to coach this season? Every other season he is great but this one season when there is a pandemic he just forgot how to coach. 

Im not saying Duke was good I’m just saying this is an outlier season for them in the same way it’s for Kentucky. I’ve seen far worst Duke rosters in terms of talent than this and they had a better seasons. So all I’m saying is Coach K hasn’t forgotten how to coach and this season has been a unique season to say the least. So you and others might not give Coach K a pass and that’s fine. I can understand if you are just looking at this as just another college basketball season. I don’t and that’s why I feel the way I do. 

14 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

So Coach K forgot how to coach this season? Every other season he is great but this one season when there is a pandemic he just forgot how to coach. 

Im not saying Duke was good I’m just saying this is an outlier season for them in the same way it’s for Kentucky. I’ve seen far worst Duke rosters in terms of talent than this and they had a better seasons. So all I’m saying is Coach K hasn’t forgotten how to coach and this season has been a unique season to say the least. So you and others might not give Coach K a pass and that’s fine. I can understand if you are just looking at this as just another college basketball season. I don’t and that’s why I feel the way I do. 

just weird that others have had the same adversity and haven't sucked nearly as bad

1 minute ago, Troy Brown said:

just weird that others have had the same adversity and haven't sucked nearly as bad

I get what you are saying and yes other teams overcome the same adversity. Im not saying we shouldn’t acknowledge how bad Duke has been. I’m saying if this was a normal season do you think Duke would be this bad? That’s what I’m basically saying. 

2 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I get what you are saying and yes other teams overcome the same adversity. Im not saying we shouldn’t acknowledge how bad Duke has been. I’m saying if this was a normal season do you think Duke would be this bad? That’s what I’m basically saying. 

yes. if coach k is half assing the season because he's mad that they're playing, that's even worse than just being plain bad

• Like 1

Cal/UK don’t get a pass. This is the culmination of years of ignoring the trends in CBB offenses and relying on OADs from a thinning talent pool. As young, OAD reliant, teams, would UK and Duke benefit more from a normal year more than an average team? Of course, but it’d still be near worst career seasons for Cal and K if you ask me (Duke would prob be 7 seed w/ 1st or 2nd round exit, UK on bubble). Talent was not there for either, coaching was evidently stale, and you need to overwhelm w/ talent to win w/ their models.

For UK’s sake, I hope Cal doesn’t just write up this modern program worst year to a pandemic. It should be a wake-up call. 

Edited by RandyMossIsBoss
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Troy Brown said:

yes. if coach k is half assing the season because he's mad that they're playing, that's even worse than just being plain bad

Duke's team quite simply was not that good this year. Our recruiting strategy of relying on one-n-done recruits to carry the team doesn't work if we don't have any elite freshmen. 

But revenge is coming next year, especially if Patrick Baldwin Jr comes to Duke.