NCAA Basketball Thread: '21-22

NYRaider

2 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

Perfect way for this Duke season to end.

The season felt “off” for them from the jump.

Unfortunate way to end the season. It'll be interesting to see who returns from this years squad. I'd love to see Hurt come back as he's not much of an NBA prospect but we'll see. It looks like we may be losing some ground on Patrick Baldwin Jr and Trevor Keels in the 2021 class as well but we'll see. 

Paolo Banchero/Mark Williams should be a hell of a front court. And a lot of NBA draft guys think AJ Griffin has a legit chance to be the #1 pick in 2022. 

Even if we miss on Baldwin and Keels we should have a top 10 team next season. I assume that DJ Steward, Wendell Moore, and Jeremy Roach will all be back. If Hurts comes back that'd be the cherry on top but he's probably gone. I think we need to add another guard either in the 2021 class or via transfer if we don't land Keels. Reportedly we've reached out to Justin Powell as a transfer option as most expect Keels to end up at Villanova. 

We may also miss on Patrick Baldwin Jr who most experts are picking to commit to Wisconsin-Milwaukee so that he can play for his dad. I wouldn't mind missing on him to the G-League or another top program like UNC or Kentucky. But going to UW-Milwaukee to play for your dad instead of making $500k in the G-League or playing for a blue blood program is questionable. 

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Either way though @TitanSlim if Steward, Williams, Baker, Moore, Brakefield, and Coleman all come back we should be in pretty good shape. 

G - Jeremy Roach

G - DJ Steward

F - AJ Griffin

F - Paolo Banchero

F - Mark Williams 

It’s crazy to say but I’m good on missing Baldwin Jr. Think it’ll be another case of “too many cooks”.  If we only lose Hurt and add a transfer G, next year’s squad has a chance to be special. Perfect blend of talent, experience, and depth.

1 minute ago, TitanSlim said:

It’s crazy to say but I’m good on missing Baldwin Jr. Think it’ll be another case of “too many cooks”.  If we only lose Hurt and add a transfer G, next year’s squad has a chance to be special. Perfect blend of talent, experience, and depth.

I'd still personally like to land Baldwin but I agree that if we don't it's not going to make or break or season. Assuming we lose Hurt but bring back Moore, Roach, Steward, Williams, Coleman, Baker, and Brakefield we'll have a legit chance at a national championship. 

Paolo looks like he has taken a big leap in the recent videos that I've seen. And I think AJ Griffin is the most underrated recruit in the class. I read that a lot of NBA guys think that he'll end up being the #1 pick. 

7 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

As a Milwaukeean, I'd love for PBJ to go to UWM. Would be a huge win for the area considering how many players from SE Wisconsin dip out for blue bloods.

Would be cool to see him go there and play for his dad. But tbh would be kind of dumb on his part to pass on a guaranteed $500K salary in the G-League to play there. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Would be cool to see him go there and play for his dad. But tbh would be kind of dumb on his part to pass on a guaranteed $500K salary in the G-League to play there. 

I don't blame anyone for any of their decisions when it comes to college or $$$. If he wants that opportunity to play for his dad and try to elevate a home town program for a year, I would understand it. 

6 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I don't blame anyone for any of their decisions when it comes to college or $$$. If he wants that opportunity to play for his dad and try to elevate a home town program for a year, I would understand it. 

He should definitely go where ever he wants to play because he's going to be a lottery pick regardless and I'm sure he'd love to stay home and play for his dad. But from a business perspective both short term and long term it's pretty risky. If he goes to the G-League he can earn $500K next year in addition to signing a shoe deal and profiting off of other endorsement deals. And if plays for a blue blood program like Duke or UNC he'll be on ESPN 2/3 times a week and will be a household name by the time the draft rolls around which would likely lead to a bigger shoe deal and more endorsement deals early in his career. 

Edited by NYRaider