NCAA Basketball Thread: '21-22

NYRaider

41 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

My opinion? He needs to move away from the 1 and done's. Find more 3 and 4 year guys. I think he'd excel with that like he used to have. 

He doesn't have very many years left and the 2019 class had 3 guys who projected as 3-4 year players but 1 left early in Stanley. And the 2020 class has 4 guys that will likely be 3-4 year players. We just have a super young team that lacks top end talent during a season where we have no home court advantage and have had a weird schedule. 

On 2/5/2021 at 2:55 PM, MikeT14 said:

My opinion? He needs to move away from the 1 and done's. Find more 3 and 4 year guys. I think he'd excel with that like he used to have. 

Kentucky needs to do that as well.  Im actually glad Kelvin Sampson dont focus on recruiting 1 and dones unless its a perfection situation like trying to get Bryce Griggs in the 2022 class.  Best way to build your program is to develop them more than 1 year.  

13 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Are you guys taking Baylor and Gonzaga, or the field to win it all? I think those 2 are pretty far ahead of the rest. Even with the pandemic making things more unpredictable than usual I am more confident than not that 1 of those teams win it all.

i think one of them is bound to choke in the tourney.  I like Baylor a little better than Zaga though. 

On 2/9/2021 at 7:07 PM, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Are you guys taking Baylor and Gonzaga, or the field to win it all? I think those 2 are pretty far ahead of the rest. Even with the pandemic making things more unpredictable than usual I am more confident than not that 1 of those teams win it all.

I would bet my life savings that Gonzaga wins it all. 

3 hours ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

There is weird smoke around that scenario.  I don't think the story has been fully told, yet.  

He has been dealing with injuries throughout the year, Duke sucks and will not make the tournament, so why continue to play and risk injury? Football prospects do it all of the time by sitting out of meaningless bowl games and a few high profile, highly raked football prospects opted out of the season entirely due to the uncertainty surrounding the season because of Covid-19. 

As I said in the other draft thread Jalen Green and Jonathan Kuminga look like geniuses right now. Johnson has been on campus all year with no other students around, taking classes online, and playing in empty stadiums for free. When he could've been making $500K to play in the G-League for a year. 

That's why I think Patrick Baldwin Jr (#1 recruit) has delayed his decision. If I'm him I am without a doubt playing in the G-League next year.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

He has been dealing with injuries throughout the year, Duke sucks and will not make the tournament, so why continue to play and risk injury? Football prospects do it all of the time by sitting out of meaningless bowl games and a few high profile, highly raked football prospects opted out of the season entirely due to the uncertainty surrounding the season because of Covid-19. 

As I said in the other draft thread Jalen Green and Jonathan Kuminga look like geniuses right now. Johnson has been on campus all year with no other students around, taking classes online, and playing in empty stadiums for free. When he could've been making $500K to play in the G-League for a year. 

That's why I think Patrick Baldwin Jr (#1 recruit) has delayed his decision. If I'm him I am without a doubt playing in the G-League next year.

I agree with the GLeague being a better alternative than what Johnson did.  I also wouldn't compare what he's doing to football players opting out of bowl games.  The football player's season is final, the semester is over, and they're off for a few weeks before the bowl game.  The guys that opted out of the season like they did was always an option.  Duke could conceivably still have a miracle conference tourney run.  He's quitting on them while they still aren't finalized, and we're spinning it, in my meaningless opinion.  That's not really what I'm even meaning though.  This feels like a mutual parting of the parties, and Duke is having him save face.  Something is going on.