Ronald Blair suffers setback, Dion Jordan will continue to see significant snaps

N4L

Felt thread worthy 

Our guys keep having setbacks. Sherm, deebo, Blair... Ford

This one stings because we are so thin DE 

Having Blair would have meant we can kick armstead inside more. He shouldn't be playing DE full time imo 

Shout out to Kerry Hyder. He would be such a good piece to pair with Ford. He's a really awesome player but he isn't the pass rusher Ford is when healthy 

Dion Jordan might turn into something? In Kocerek we trust. If anyone can make it happen, it's him. 

It great to beat the Rams last night, but it was another game that we didn't get anywhere near the QB. It looks like we're another 3-4 weeks away from Blair getting back on the field and the trade deadline it coming up in 2 weeks. Now is the time to make a move to keep this season alive.

I've been doing some searching on Spotrac for pass rushers on teams that are out of it and at the end of their contracts this year. Here's what I found:

Immediate Impact

Ryan Kerrigan ($11.6 mil 2020 cap hit)

He's probably the best of the bunch I found and may not require a high draft pick to get him, unless his trade market heats up. The cap hit is enormous and we'd have to move some money around to make this work, but he would surely move our pass rush in the right direction immediately. The Barnwell proposal of Pettis and a 5th is an absolute steal for us, but I don't think it's realistic considering Pettis is now a consistant healthy scratch every week. I'm thinking a 2021 4th and a 2022 4th or 5th might do it. 

Carl Lawson ($2.3 mil 2020 cap hit)

This one might be more wishful thinking than anything, but he's on his final year of his rookie deal and playing pretty well so far. The likelihood of this trade happening is slim unless the Bengals think the draft pick would be more valuable than Lawson moving forward. He might cost a 2nd or a 3rd to get.

Whitney Mercilus ($12 mil 2020 cap hit)

The Texans are at the beginning stages of a fire sale with the direction their season is going. Mercilus would definitely provide the pass rush we need, but he also has a heafty contract that would be coming with him. The cost to get him could be pretty high. Like a 2nd this year and mid-round pick next year as just a guess.

Rotation Pieces

Romeo Okwara ($4 mil 2020 cap hit)

Okwara is 25 and has a club option at the end of this year. He's fairly cheap and is playing pretty well this year after coming off of a down year in 2019. He had 7.5 sacks in 2018. Okwara would be a similar type of role player like Blair, so not a high-impact guy, but would certainly provide crucial depth immediately. Just guessing, he might cost a 3rd or a 4th to get considering he's good and cheap.

Markus Golden ($5.1 mil 2020 cap hit)

Golden runs very hot and cold. He totaled 10 or more sacks twice in his career (2016 and 2019). He's a FA at the end of this year, which means the Giants could get something for him now. He only has half of a sack on the year and only started 1 game. He's rotational guy who hasn't hit home yet with the sack numbers. I'm thinking give the Giants a 5th or a 6th and see what he does with a change of scenery. 

Terrell Suggs (FA)

Suggs totaled 6.5 sacks last year at age 38, I think he still has it. I don't know if he's opted out because of COVID, unofficially retired, or is just waiting on the right situation to appear, but this could make sense for both sides and would be pretty cheap to make happen. 

Takk McKinley ($3.2 mil 2020 cap hit)

Takk never lived up to billing, he's a FA at the end of this season, and the Falcons are in full rebuild mode. He would essentially play Ford's role of purely a situational pass rusher, that's it. It would probably take a 6th to get Takk, but we may or may not see anything out of him. I've never been impressed with him, but he fits my parameters for this list. 

Jabaal Sheard ($500k 2020 cap hit)

Sheard is unlikely as he just signed with the Jags last week, which means we've already passed him over when he was a FA. I'm putting him on this list because I've always like Sheard even though he's less of a pass rusher and more of an EDGE run stopper. He would cost next to nothing to trade for.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

No. I meant to post here. I figured this was the best place to put my thoughts about pass rushers to bring in since this thread is about Blair and when he will return.

That said, great post. Hadn't thought of Lawson either. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

It great to beat the Rams last night, but it was another game that we didn't get anywhere near the QB. It looks like we're another 3-4 weeks away from Blair getting back on the field and the trade deadline it coming up in 2 weeks. Now is the time to make a move to keep this season alive.

I've been doing some searching on Spotrac for pass rushers on teams that are out of it and at the end of their contracts this year. Here's what I found:

Immediate Impact

Ryan Kerrigan ($11.6 mil 2020 cap hit)

He's probably the best of the bunch I found and may not require a high draft pick to get him, unless his trade market heats up. The cap hit is enormous and we'd have to move some money around to make this work, but he would surely move our pass rush in the right direction immediately. The Barnwell proposal of Pettis and a 5th is an absolute steal for us, but I don't think it's realistic considering Pettis is now a consistant healthy scratch every week. I'm thinking a 2021 4th and a 2022 4th or 5th might do it. 

Carl Lawson ($2.3 mil 2020 cap hit)

This one might be more wishful thinking than anything, but he's on his final year of his rookie deal and playing pretty well so far. The likelihood of this trade happening is slim unless the Bengals think the draft pick would be more valuable than Lawson moving forward. He might cost a 2nd or a 3rd to get.

Whitney Mercilus ($12 mil 2020 cap hit)

The Texans are at the beginning stages of a fire sale with the direction their season is going. Mercilus would definitely provide the pass rush we need, but he also has a heafty contract that would be coming with him. The cost to get him could be pretty high. Like a 2nd this year and mid-round pick next year as just a guess.

Rotation Pieces

Romeo Okwara ($4 mil 2020 cap hit)

Okwara is 25 and has a club option at the end of this year. He's fairly cheap and is playing pretty well this year after coming off of a down year in 2019. He had 7.5 sacks in 2018. Okwara would be a similar type of role player like Blair, so not a high-impact guy, but would certainly provide crucial depth immediately. Just guessing, he might cost a 3rd or a 4th to get considering he's good and cheap.

Markus Golden ($5.1 mil 2020 cap hit)

Golden runs very hot and cold. He totaled 10 or more sacks twice in his career (2016 and 2019). He's a FA at the end of this year, which means the Giants could get something for him now. He only has half of a sack on the year and only started 1 game. He's rotational guy who hasn't hit home yet with the sack numbers. I'm thinking give the Giants a 5th or a 6th and see what he does with a change of scenery. 

Terrell Suggs (FA)

Suggs totaled 6.5 sacks last year at age 38, I think he still has it. I don't know if he's opted out because of COVID, unofficially retired, or is just waiting on the right situation to appear, but this could make sense for both sides and would be pretty cheap to make happen. 

Takk McKinley ($3.2 mil 2020 cap hit)

Takk never lived up to billing, he's a FA at the end of this season, and the Falcons are in full rebuild mode. He would essentially play Ford's role of purely a situational pass rusher, that's it. It would probably take a 6th to get Takk, but we may or may not see anything out of him. I've never been impressed with him, but he fits my parameters for this list. 

Jabaal Sheard ($500k 2020 cap hit)

Sheard is unlikely as he just signed with the Jags last week, which means we've already passed him over when he was a FA. I'm putting him on this list because I've always like Sheard even though he's less of a pass rusher and more of an EDGE run stopper. He would cost next to nothing to trade for.

Great list, I would still want Cameron Wake added to this list....he still has some gas in the take especially as a situational pass-rusher on the cheap. I may have heard wrong, but he has experience in the wide-9 as well......not seeing why we wouldnt kick the tires.

2 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

Great list, I would still want Cameron Wake added to this list....he still has some gas in the take especially as a situational pass-rusher on the cheap. I may have heard wrong, but he has experience in the wide-9 as well......not seeing why we wouldnt kick the tires.

Great point. I totally forgot to add him to the list. I'm wondering if guys like Suggs and Wake are waiting until the second half of the season to sign somewhere to ensure they're joining a playoff-bound team. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Great point. I totally forgot to add him to the list. I'm wondering if guys like Suggs and Wake are waiting until the second half of the season to sign somewhere to ensure they're joining a playoff-bound team. 

Yeah, they definitely could be, but I would think they would want to sign somewhere closer to the trade deadline.....just because teams usually fill their needs there if they have a glaring weakness. Other than that, they would be hoping for an injury as it heads towards the post-season.

I could see Suggs doing that, but I figure Wake would go to anyone that will take him

3 hours ago, P_locniners said:

Yeah, they definitely could be, but I would think they would want to sign somewhere closer to the trade deadline.....just because teams usually fill their needs there if they have a glaring weakness. Other than that, they would be hoping for an injury as it heads towards the post-season.

I could see Suggs doing that, but I figure Wake would go to anyone that will take him

Screw it, sign both and roll the dice. 

• Like 2

Two names I forgot to add to my list of potential pass rushers:

Everson Griffen ($5.8 mil 2020 cap hit) - Production is modest this season, but he's a reliable pass rusher. The price is a bit high, though.

Aldon Smith ($1.3 mil 2020 cap hit) - He's balling out this year, but he's a bit of a lightening rod in San Francisco. The price is absolutely right and the productivity is back, I'd love to see him come back and exercise some demons here. What story it would be if he helped save this season.

Maybe the Tomlinson move was to free up space to go after a pass rusher this week or next.