Stan Van Gundy Hired as Pelicans new HC

Kirill

Coached young Dwayne Wade and the Heat after they traded for Shaq. Then went on to coach young Dwight Howard with the Magic. 

The year before he got to Miami they were 25-57, in his 1st year they went 42-40 and made the second round, and in his third year they improved to 59-23 and were a game away from the NBA Finals. He'd probably have a ring if Pat Riley didn't take the head coaching job back the year they won it all. 

The year before he got to Orlando they were 40-42, in his 1st year they went 52-30 and made the second round, in his second year they went 59-23 and lost in the Finals, and in this third year they went 59-23 and lost in the ECF. 

I think his experience working with young superstar talent and helping them go from solid team to true championship contenders is a nice fit for the Pelicans. If Ingram can continue to improve and Zion stays healthy they could be very good in the next couple of years. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, the lone star said:

Man, I wanted Cassell to get a chance, but I don't think other teams are looking at him.

I like Cassell as well but I think another year on the Clippers bench, especially if they win a title, will do a lot for his resume/landing a good head coaching gig. 

I think New Orleans ultimately went with JVG because of his experience coaching young superstar talent.