The Boats are on Fire! Who's Getting Shipped Off?

RpMc

6 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Who do we have to replace Cousins?

I'm all for having a Rookie QB/QBOTF but I'd like to see us get a competent backup who starts the season or at least can actually play in case the rookie goes down.

I don't want Sean Mannion again.

If they trade Cousins in the offseason, I still think they'd want to do it early in free agency...and then they'd have to sign a free agent who potentially could start, just so they don't completely tip their hand on who they're drafting....maybe a guy like Jacoby Brissett or Tyrod Taylor.  

10 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Who do we have to replace Cousins?

I'm all for having a Rookie QB/QBOTF but I'd like to see us get a competent backup who starts the season or at least can actually play in case the rookie goes down.

I don't want Sean Mannion again.

Fitzy to MIN and draft Zach Wilson from BYU. Boom Championship.

2 hours ago, NoDakViking said:

Like picking up salary beyond the signing bonus money?

I wonder if a team would take a late round pick swap to make up for that

Yes, the team will have $20M in accelerated signing bonus on their cap plus whatever amount they have to pay of his 2021 salary. If nobody takes him he'll count $41M against the cap if the Vikings simply cut him. If the Vikings agree to pay $10M of his 2021 salary as part of a trade Cousins would only count $30M against the cap.

I would look to use the $11M saved on a combination of a rookie QB and a low rent experienced veteran. Fitzpatrick and Taylor are names that I've considered but also a guy like Cam Newton was this year. The team needs to wait and see what QB is still available to sign after the first waves of free agency. There will be someone. It won't be someone to get excited about but someone with experience that can hold the fort for $8M or less. Maybe Andy Dalton. Maybe Joe Flacco. That is the level QB the be looking at to hold the starting position while the rookie tries to prove he should be starting instead.