kurgan mock draft 2021 v. 1

kurgan

I have no clue how this off season is going to go, but I wanted to get a mock in here over the break.  Seems like we can go 100''s of ways, but I am going to try to do this.

I am assuming that we are going to lose:

• Bud Dupree
  • Avery Williamson
  • Vance McDonald
  • Alejandro Villy -retire
  • Mike Hilton
  • Tyson Alualu
  • James Connor
  • Sean Davis
  • Vince Williams-cut/trade
  • Joe Haden-cut/trade

Resign: JuJu, Matt Feiler, Cam Sutton, Zach Banner, Chris Wormley, other cheap guys.

Extend/Restructure: Ben, Tuitt, Heyward, Pouncey

I am not sure if that gets us there, but it may be close.  If all of the above happens, I see our needs as:

1. OT/CB
  2. OLB/TE
  3. ILB/RB
  4. Safety
  5. IOL/QB

I am going to use the projection of 9 draft picks (1 each 1-4, no 5 or 6, and 2 7's, with 3 comp picks-4(Hargrave) and 2 6's (Matakevich and Finney)

1.32--Liam Eichenberg, OT Notre Dame. 6'6" 305

Nice, safe, balanced pick who is technically sound and fits all of the boxes for us, save underclassman.  Power 5, Big School, multi-year starter.  Played both sides for the Irish, and can at least be a year 1 swing tackle behind Banner/Chuks.  The cupboard is bare after these two, and with Banner coming off a knee injury and little that we can afford on the FA market, a Day 1 starter may be the ticket here.

2.64--Israel Mukuamu, CB South Carolina. 6'3" 205

Have to get a DB here, with Layne/Sutton now being starters.  I love watching Mukuamu play, he is super physical (and probably won't be here in reality after testing) and does everything good.  Needs the finer work of playing at a high level coached into him, but has amazing size and speed for the position.  Can get beat by quicker guys, but makes up for it with run support and blanket coverage.

3.96--Chuba Hubbard, RB Oklahoma State.  6' 207

With the room being Snell and McFarland, Hubbard comes in as a high milage, name back that can really battle for the primary back role.  Can play special teams if needed, and can be the true backup or feature back with McFarland as the home run threat.

4.135-Hunter Long, TE Boston College. 6'5" 253

The more traditional of TEs in this range, Long is a RS Jr and a work in progress in all facets.  Has the size and willingness to block, and overall good technique.  Runs a low number of routes, and is most certainly a Hash/Middle guy that is not a threat to YAC it up.  With Ebron staying on as the Flex WR, Long takes the McDonald role of blocking TE/developmental TE with Gentry.

4.150 (ish-comp)-Malcom Koonce, Edge Buffalo.  6'3" 248

Mid round, MAC comp special.  Highsmith was a small school guy with high production, and Koonce is as well, so we go to the MAC well here.  High motor/finesse guy who gets home as a pass rusher and destroys MAC OTs.  Needs to work on pressing and tackling in the run game, but will have a chance to come here as the #3/#4 OLB and special teams warrior as he learns.  Highsmith ascends to the starting OLB with Watt, and Ola is a capable backup until Koonce surpasses him.

6.200 (ish-comp)--Justin Rice, ILB Arkansas State.  6'2" 225

4 year grinder that is the typical early down plugger.  With Vince a salary casualty, we need depth behind Spillane for this role.  Is a great player and communicator, but is limited athletically.  Will be a team-first player and special teams stalwart.

6.210 (ish-comp)--Quentin Lake, S UCLA.  6'1" 193.

Great hybrid defender with multiple safety ability.  Can play deep or closer to the LOS, and can either play off of Edmunds or Fitz.  Needs more reps and more functional strength, but can be our safety #3 or 4, depending on the role of Brooks moving forward.

7.220 (ish)--Tariq Castro-Fields, CB Penn State.  6'1" 197.

Stealing another local, high pedigree kid here to fill out the DB room.  Can play inside or outside, great run player at the POA.  Needs to work on coverage ability, but can help with losing Haden and Hilton.  Competition for Pierre.

7.230 (ish)-- Obina Eze, OT Memphis. 6'8" 315.

Project tackle with size.  Helps with long term tackle depth.

UDFA:

1. Kellen Mond, QB Texas A+M. (Ben-lite with escapablity and downfield passing prowess.)
  2. Trevon Grimes, WR Florida (Big, tall, high point catcher that gets lost in the FU offense.  Fits our outside WR mold)
  3. JD Speilman, WR TCU (5'9", 180... quick slot guy that can burn)
  4. Luke Farrell, TE Ohio State (Big Blocking TE)
  5. Boe Wilson, IOL Nebraska (Lighter zone blocking OG)
  6. Nyles Pinkney, NT Clemson (Early down plugger and gap penetrator)
  7. Brad Stewart, SS Florida (Tough SEC strong safety)
  8. Oscar Bradburn, P VaTech (4 year starter, 45 yard average, only 6 touchbacks)

• Like 1

witht he cap going down so much, this off season will see the most roster turn over.  If everyone too a payout of the same %  then everyone could return  O.o

your trade/cuts are most likely cap casualties. Do you think that they might accept pay cuts especially with the  lack of cap available , the market might not be offering as much as it once did in UFA.  Will the UFA market offer anyone decent contracts is the question, since the cap is going to be so much lower.  With the cap so much lower, it's a bad year to hit UFA .

Haden has played really good, no way they should let him go. 

Trent Williams is UFA but even if AV retires, I doubt there is cap for signing Williams.

Hilton is mainly a blitzed, he shouldn't be top priority 

If ben wants to keep playing , then he would get a restructure as would the rest of the core of the team. The BM will spend some time reworking all these deals, no other option.  Imagine if this happened in the era where the team didn't restructure dealso.O

Edited by 3rivers