Jets IDL earn 3 of the top 25 spots for PFF

rdelaney89

18 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

100% agree. And I hope he becomes one of the best IDLineman in the league since he's in our jersey. MY point was merely that given our roster he was going to have to be Aaron Donald type good for me to ever think he was a good pick. Which obviously the odds were stacked against him to ever become that. So while he's been great. He isn't producing like Donald. So IMO it was still a bad pick.

That being said... he still can become that good

Yeah we drafted him because we believed he could get us 10+ sacks a year. Until he starts showing that type of production, he's a disappointment.

3 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

Yeah we drafted him because we believed he could get us 10+ sacks a year. Until he starts showing that type of production, he's a disappointment.

Anyone who thought getting 10+ sacks per year from a DT on this team was fooling themselves. There is really only one DT that fills that bill - Donald. Even he does not consistently get 10 per year.  I do not ever recall a DT that does.

I can understand the frustration with drafting DL for so many years at the expense of the O, but to suggest Q is not a quality FB player is absurd. Time to let it go and move on.

10+ sacks is a lot to ask for from a DT. Fletcher Cox has been one of the more disruptive DTs in the league and he has only done it once.

I personally would be really happy if he becomes Fletcher Cox. If we can get 2 starting caliber Edge rushers, our front would be tough to handle.

Edited by SDotNova

4 hours ago, SDotNova said:

10+ sacks is a lot to ask for from a DT. Fletcher Cox has been one of the more disruptive DTs in the league and he has only done it once.

I personally would be really happy if he becomes Fletcher Cox. If we can get 2 starting caliber Edge rushers, our front would be tough to handle.

It’s where Q was drafted and the positions we ignored when drafting him that created this high expectation of him. For him it’s unfair. But for us as fans it 100% fair. When you’ve been a franchise that’s drafted DLineman after DLineman and it hasn’t done anything that’s amounted to wins. And when we needed offense and an edge so bad. To ignore it and go DL again. Meant he had to be a HOF player for it to be a good pick.

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

It’s where Q was drafted and the positions we ignored when drafting him that created this high expectation of him. For him it’s unfair. But for us as fans it 100% fair. When you’ve been a franchise that’s drafted DLineman after DLineman and it hasn’t done anything that’s amounted to wins. And when we needed offense and an edge so bad. To ignore it and go DL again. Meant he had to be a HOF player for it to be a good pick.

I see it the same way. When we drafted Q, we weren't trying to find a premium run stuffer or space-eater; we wanted someone who could get to the QB. We already had McLendon and Leo as our NT and DE, and Q was expected to be our Aaron Donald DT in the 3-4. It's easy to forget it now, but the hype for Q was unreal going into the draft. Yeah, it'd be nice for him to get 7-9 sacks a season and be a solid interior defender, but we picked him to be much more than that.

23 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

I see it the same way. When we drafted Q, we weren't trying to find a premium run stuffer or space-eater; we wanted someone who could get to the QB. We already had McLendon and Leo as our NT and DE, and Q was expected to be our Aaron Donald DT in the 3-4. It's easy to forget it now, but the hype for Q was unreal going into the draft. Yeah, it'd be nice for him to get 7-9 sacks a season and be a solid interior defender, but we picked him to be much more than that.

I think we can get 10 sacks from Quinnen especially once we get an edge rusher. He's got 5 sacks right now but keep in mind we are always losing so teams are running the ball. If we can score some points and let them pin their ears back that will have some tangible impact. 

I've been very happy with the year 2 leap from Q.

6 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

I think we can get 10 sacks from Quinnen especially once we get an edge rusher. He's got 5 sacks right now but keep in mind we are always losing so teams are running the ball. If we can score some points and let them pin their ears back that will have some tangible impact. 

I've been very happy with the year 2 leap from Q.

I don't think anyone thinks he isn't good. It was just that when we drafted him to not get Josh Allen or someone on offense... he was going to have to be near Aarin Donald good for the pick to be good. He could get there. But he's not there yet (he's still very young). This was the case for me. Outside of Leo and Pryor in recent years, he was by far my least favorite Jets 1st rounder in quite some time. And it wasnt bc I didn't think he was good. It was just the position we drafted YET AGAIN. And your chart shows that we have 2 very good player at his same position who were claimed off waivers and a 6th rounder. So to use a 3rd overall pick on the guy... seems like a wasted pick.

13 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I don't think anyone thinks he isn't good. It was just that when we drafted him to not get Josh Allen or someone on offense... he was going to have to be near Aarin Donald good for the pick to be good. He could get there. But he's not there yet (he's still very young). This was the case for me. Outside of Leo and Pryor in recent years, he was by far my least favorite Jets 1st rounder in quite some time. And it wasnt bc I didn't think he was good. It was just the position we drafted YET AGAIN. And your chart shows that we have 2 very good player at his same position who were claimed off waivers and a 6th rounder. So to use a 3rd overall pick on the guy... seems like a wasted pick.

The pick was going to be Quinnen or Allen, it will be interesting to see how Allen bounces back next season because at this point in time I think it's too early to tell who the better player is. First year went to Allen, second year goes to Quinnen.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

seems like a wasted pick.

Sam was a wasted pick. JA, Lee, Pryor, Coples, Leo, and Sheldon were all wasted picks due to poor play or being *** hats.  You could argue JA netted us two 1st rd picks but in terms of drafting and keeping them, we have sucked for a long time. We all know this

I certainly understand your position. I was hoping for Allen. But if you look at all the wasted picks in the first round you should be quite happy with Q. Granted it is still early but right now it appears we have a good FB player, along with Becton, selected in the first that we have not had in a really long time.

The Jets SHOULD have done a lot of things differently over the last 10+ years but didn’t. Hell, they should have done something different this year (fire gase mid season) but didn’t. Celebrate the success of Q, don’t complain about he should haves.

25 minutes ago, xrade said:

Sam was a wasted pick. JA, Lee, Pryor, Coples, Leo, and Sheldon were all wasted picks due to poor play or being *** hats.  You could argue JA netted us two 1st rd picks but in terms of drafting and keeping them, we have sucked for a long time. We all know this

I certainly understand your position. I was hoping for Allen. But if you look at all the wasted picks in the first round you should be quite happy with Q. Granted it is still early but right now it appears we have a good FB player, along with Becton, selected in the first that we have not had in a really long time.

The Jets SHOULD have done a lot of things differently over the last 10+ years but didn’t. Hell, they should have done something different this year (fire gase mid season) but didn’t. Celebrate the success of Q, don’t complain about he should haves.

I just dont value IDL high enough to ever pick it that high in the draft. We've taken like 5 of them in Round 1 over the last 9 years. And none of them have been great or even stayed. Mo Wilkerson flashed for a couple years in his 3rd and 5th year, but then fell off a cliff. Richardson never even got to double digit sacks for us before he left in his 4 years with us. Coples we had no clue where to play him and he never got more than 6.5 sacks in a season. Leo never got more than 7 sacks and we traded him for not much considering where we drafted him and actually looks better for NYG than he did for us. And now there's Q. who has talent. I wont ever question that. But the track record of DTs having long lasting power and being a top pick worthy over the course of a decade just isn't good. IMO that's not how you use the 3rd overall pick in the draft.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I just dont value IDL high enough to ever pick it that high in the draft

I understand. I feel the same about RB. IMHO a high draft pick RB should only taken after the OL is established, otherwise the running lanes will be tough to find. As an example, Dak is having an un-Dak like year because the OL is in flux.

I am just glad we got a good FB player in Q regardless of his position because we have so few of them.  I would prefer to look forward rather than behind.

On 12/3/2020 at 9:32 AM, Bobby816 said:

I just dont value IDL high enough to ever pick it that high in the draft. We've taken like 5 of them in Round 1 over the last 9 years. And none of them have been great or even stayed. Mo Wilkerson flashed for a couple years in his 3rd and 5th year, but then fell off a cliff. Richardson never even got to double digit sacks for us before he left in his 4 years with us. Coples we had no clue where to play him and he never got more than 6.5 sacks in a season. Leo never got more than 7 sacks and we traded him for not much considering where we drafted him and actually looks better for NYG than he did for us. And now there's Q. who has talent. I wont ever question that. But the track record of DTs having long lasting power and being a top pick worthy over the course of a decade just isn't good. IMO that's not how you use the 3rd overall pick in the draft.

I actually screamed when we drafted Leo but my least favorite pick was Darron Lee.

When the Jets first switched to the 3-4 and were great under Rex we had the likes of DeVito and Pouha playing really for us.  We have always been able to find some late round guys who can play at solid level for the DL and we drafted too many guys that disappointed or didn't work long term.  The pass rushers are more the flash and require the early round talent whereas interior can be filled later and even have a rotation of guys.  The only 3-4 DE I can think off the top of my head worth a top 10 pick is JJ Watt.