RB group

Tetsujin

What to do about this large "RB" group going into 2021?

I see Gaskin, Perry, and Bowden being the only safe bets being on the roster next year. Ahmed's been good, but I'm not sure having 2 small RB's is an ideal situation.

I think we sign a good FA, and draft one Round 2. 

RUNNING BACKS
POS.
Matt Breida RB $3,259,000 UFA - - -
Patrick Laird RB $678,000 $853,000 RFA - -
Myles Gaskin RB $637,872 $871,694 $986,695 UFA -
Malcolm Perry RB $628,872 $798,872 $913,872 $1,028,872 UFA
Lynn Bowden RB $610,000 $824,064 $1,038,128 $1,252,193 A
DeAndre Washington RB $555,882 UFA - - -
Salvon Ahmed RB $466,470 ERFA - - -
Edited by Tetsujin
  • Like 1

The name I'm looking at to be a good fit in terms of both likely contract and personnel fit, is Jamaal Williams from GB.  He is a good pass blocker; good pass catcher; and he runs really hard.  Tons of tread left on the tires too , due to always being a backup.  The downside is that he isn't a homerun threat and he isn't exactly a shifty guy, but he could be a better version of what this FO thought they were going to get in Jordan Howard.  If he could be brought in for that $5 million that Howard was, I'm fine doing that and ignoring RB this draft. Williams/Gaskin/Ahmed is fine for next year. Focus on WR/LB/OL/Edge/S.  

On 12/13/2020 at 11:18 AM, Tetsujin said:

I like giving Chris Carson a 2/12M deal

is anyone else liking Javonte Williams from UNC? I liked him a lot before yesterday, then he put on the show of shows.

Javonte Williams would be a great RB for the downhill power scheme we want to run.  I believe there’s a chance that if Williams blows up the combine, he has had the production to be the first RB taken in the 2021 draft........bold statement, but Ettiene has slipped down a little from last season IMO and both he and Najee Harris run behind great OLines.  I’m also a fan of Najee Harris and I think he would have been a late 2nd round pick in the 2020 draft but should be considered a probable 1st round pick in 2021.

We need a definite influx of talent at the RB position.

I know we have two threads going (one about RB and one about WR). But here is what I would like to do as of today (assuming we don't make any big FA signings)

I think we need to go WR in round 1 and get Tua that extra weapon to put his development over the edge. 

I think we have a stud LB available to us in round 1, we should take him. As good as our defense is, could you imagine what Coach Flores could do with a dominate pro bowl level LB?? 

I think we could go RB in round 2. I imagine if we want Etienne we'd have to go round 1. But there should be some good RBs still available at round 2, (Hubbard would be a dream there).  

I think we could go OL with one of our seconds too. If Karras walks, we will need a center. I like Jackson, Kindley and Hunt. We have money tied up in Flowers so I imagine he stays in the starting 5. So with that in mind, and Ted Karras  becoming a FA at the end of the year I could see C here.  

That said here's to hoping Houston loses some more games and we are able to bulk up at skill positions 

50 minutes ago, JourneymanQB13 said:

I know we have two threads going (one about RB and one about WR). But here is what I would like to do as of today (assuming we don't make any big FA signings)

I think we need to go WR in round 1 and get Tua that extra weapon to put his development over the edge. 

I think we have a stud LB available to us in round 1, we should take him. As good as our defense is, could you imagine what Coach Flores could do with a dominate pro bowl level LB?? 

I think we could go RB in round 2. I imagine if we want Etienne we'd have to go round 1. But there should be some good RBs still available at round 2, (Hubbard would be a dream there).  

I think we could go OL with one of our seconds too. If Karras walks, we will need a center. I like Jackson, Kindley and Hunt. We have money tied up in Flowers so I imagine he stays in the starting 5. So with that in mind, and Ted Karras  becoming a FA at the end of the year I could see C here.  

That said here's to hoping Houston loses some more games and we are able to bulk up at skill positions 

WR/LB is definitely where I want to go in Round 1.

I'd prefer not investing a 2nd round pick in RB, though... bring in a mid-round guy and a FA. RB isn't an important position to invest draft stock in. Instead, we could pick up another OL in Round 2 or even another WR wouldn't be a bad idea... we desperately need to find reliable hands for Tua.

12 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I'd prefer not investing a 2nd round pick in RB, though... bring in a mid-round guy and a FA. 

I think we’ve filled out or roster to the point a 2nd round RB wouldn’t be a bad idea, especially with the amount of early picks we have.

12 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

WR/LB is definitely where I want to go in Round 1.

I'd prefer not investing a 2nd round pick in RB, though... bring in a mid-round guy and a FA. RB isn't an important position to invest draft stock in. Instead, we could pick up another OL in Round 2 or even another WR wouldn't be a bad idea... we desperately need to find reliable hands for Tua.

I'm 100% on board with this idea as well.  Parker and Williams have both battled injuries their entire careers, and Williams still has too many drops.  He's still a nice guy to have on the team, but maybe more in that #4 WR role.  Parker, 1st Rounder, 2nd Rounder, Williams, Bowden, Grant (only because of his contract)