2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

9 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

How does it take this long to sign him?  We should've had this deal in place and ready to go.  He should've been a priority signing.  He's still better than what we currently have on the roster.

15 minutes ago, Jerry said:

How does it take this long to sign him?  We should've had this deal in place and ready to go.  He should've been a priority signing.  He's still better than what we currently have on the roster.

Because he wants more than anyone is offering.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

99% of the time, value and draft position, etc. talked about in places like this are echoing the media. 

It's actually hilarious when you think about it. Fans have such strong opinions on prospects, but they are rarely their own. Simply parroting their favorite draft gurus. Maybe you've watched a couple games. You've definitely watched the youtube highlights... but to pretend to watch "film" is hilarious. Nobody in here is laboring over hours of boring all 22 film to form any opinions on prospects.

EXACTLY. That’s my thing. I believe in watching the film. Sure you look see if the “consensus” agrees or disagrees with some things you see but you formulate your own opinion. When it comes to the team that’s what I expect them to do. So when they pick someone my concern is in the “consensus” my concern is are they right about who they picked.

I actually do watch all of it: highlights, game film & all 22(When I can find it because I’m not paying lol) the main idea is not just taking what the consensus says at face value but being able to say you’ve seen what a player can and cannot do.

It’s like for example: When the raiders signed John Brown people were say that he’s just a deep threat & Believe someone called him a chess catcher but the film shows that he’s a completely nuanced route runner with hands. Before watching the film is to peoples opinion but the tape itself(whether highlights game film or all 22) doesn’t lie)

3 hours ago, Jerry said:

He said in an interview earlier this offseason that he's only planning on playing two more years and is seeking a 2 yr deal and also not looking to take a discount. He saw Patrick Peterson just got a 1 yr/$10M deal and Adoree Jackson just got a 3 yr/$39M deal. So I'm assuming to sign him we'd have to offer him something like a 2 yr/$20M deal. 

3 hours ago, OnlyGlove said:

Getting Haha Clinton-Dix, AJ Bouye and Willie Snead IV for me would be a decent end to FA

HCD couldn't even get a job last season and we could've signed him at any point during the year and didn't, so I'd definitely pass on him. 

If we're going to sign two DB's Tre Boston and Quinton Dunbar make the most sense, imo. Both are younger guys that we can likely sign on 1 yr prove it deals because if they play well they could both cash in next off-season. They're also both very good fits in Bradley's scheme. Dunbar was one of the best CB in the NFL in 2019 and fits well in the cover 3 as a tall, lengthy outside CB. And Tre Boston literally had the best year of his career playing FS for Bradley with the Chargers.

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He said in an interview earlier this offseason that he's only planning on playing two more years and is seeking a 2 yr deal and also not looking to take a discount. He saw Patrick Peterson just got a 1 yr/$10M deal and Adoree Jackson just got a 3 yr/$39M deal. So I'm assuming to sign him we'd have to offer him something like a 2 yr/$20M deal. 

You're probably right and why we won't sign him.

Hayward can start outside and still be the primary slot CB in nickel. He has familiarity with Bradley. He wouldn't count against the comp pick formula. and i'd assume he'd probably be cheaper than what Sherman is looking for. makes sense.

at the same time, Sherman imo is the better outside CB right now, is basically the best cover 3 CB the league has seen in this era, and is also highly intelligent who would make our CB room a lot better with his presence. im not sure to what degree Hayward would bring that leadership/alpha quality.

so there's a cost-benefit analysis to be sure.

there are also still guys like AJ Bouye (also a release, for comp pick reasons, and has plenty of slot experience), Quinton Dunbar, Steven Nelson (recently cut by Pitt). 

and if we're strictly looking for a slot starter, Brian Poole.

and then a tier lower you can find guys like Mackensie Alexander or Robey-Coleman, but at that point it's not really true veteran leadership

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Geeze.  Yeah I could see that being the case.

1 hour ago, Turnobili said:

there are also still guys like AJ Bouye (also a release, for comp pick reasons, and has plenty of slot experience), Quinton Dunbar, Steven Nelson (recently cut by Pitt). 

Nelson is very good but he's going to want to get paid. The reason the Steelers let him go is because he wanted a long term extension.