2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

4 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I don’t disagree with you at all but Think about it this way people were flipping out about not resigning offensive lineman before free agency officially started. What do you think peoples response would’ve been if we didn’t sign a DT? LOL

We had gutted our OL so of course people were going to panic. Once Leonard Williams got tagged there were no premier interior DL on the board and it's not like we went after guys with huge markets. We're probably the only team that was interested in Philon and Thomas has been a major bust that's coming off of an ACL injury.

Even with those guys in the mix we could've restructured some deals and freed up space to go after Reed if we wanted too. If we have to eat $2M in dead cap from Thomas, so be it. We had no problem eating $13M in dead cap when we moved Hudson.

14 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

There is only one way to fix this issue....  Win football games, which we can never seem to do consistently.  Until that happens we will continued to be labeled as losers and a dysfunctional organization.  We had the chance to turn it around with a lot of draft capital over the last few years but it appears we haven't walked away with a true elite talent.  It sucks but it is what it is and that falls on Davis, Gruden and Mayock. 

At this point I think that it has more to do with the guys in the building rather than wins/losses. The Buccaneers had been to the playoffs twice since they beat us in the Super Bowl two decades ago, only one more time than we have. They drafted well, added Brady, and all of the sudden elite guys are taking pay cuts to sign with them. 

The team lacks leadership and accountability at the top and it starts with Mark Davis, Mike Mayock, and Jon Gruden. And honestly how could you expect it to be anything other than dysfunctional? Most NFL owners were extremely successful in other industries and then bought teams. Mark inherited the team from his dad and has never been a business tycoon or some extremely successful person. Mike Mayock worked in commercial real estate before he became a broadcaster/analyst, he had never worked in an NFL front office or made personnel decisions. Then you have Gruden who outside of his one Super Bowl in Tampa, which he won with Dungy's team, has been a pretty mediocre coach. And he's the one with the final say despite never showing he's a good personnel manager and was given full control after being out of the league for a decade.

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

We had gutted our OL so of course people were going to panic. Once Leonard Williams got tagged there were no premier interior DL on the board and it's not like we went after guys with huge markets. We're probably the only team that was interested in Philon and Thomas has been a major bust that's coming off of an ACL injury.

Even with those guys in the mix we could've restructured some deals and freed up space to go after Reed if we wanted too. If we have to eat $2M in dead cap from Thomas, so be it. We had no problem eating $13M in dead cap when we moved Hudson.

yeah but with the old line I said from the very beginning there’s a high chance they sign all of the guys back that didn’t cost anything(which they ended up doing)

Philon I could care less because he’s not getting paid anything substantial to move the salary cap needle towards not being able to sign someone however when you look at Solomon Thomas and Quinton Jefferson that’s when you start looking at the move. What time is we don’t know if there were other teams out there that wanted to roll the dice on his potential. He was drastically used wrong in San Francisco so there is definitely a lot of room for upside on that move. Other teams might’ve seen that. Quinton Jefferson at the very worst is a very good depth piece. 

My overall take on the situation is this: nobody knew a defensive tackle of that caliber was going to come free. And with the moves we made we’ve made it so that we’re not at the mercy of drafting a defensive tackle out crazy need. In order for us to say the Raiders made a bad move by addressing the situation with players that can potentially fix the interior pass rush problem when we have to say that they should not of signed anybody until last week which could’ve possibly further limited our options. And then there is the possibility that...

A. Someone of his caliber doesn’t come free and we’re already to fly to Vegas and burn down the facility.

B. someone of his caliber does come free and he ends up choosing a team like the Chiefs so we can play lax to Chris Jones anyway to which we post for three days how the Raiders are an organization that nobody wants to play for. 

A. Someone of his caliber doesn’t come free and we’re already to fly to Vegas and burn down the facility.

B. someone of his caliber does come free and he ends up choosing a team like the Chiefs so we can play lax to Chris Jones anyway to which we post for three days how the Raiders are an organization that nobody wants to play for. 

At the end of the day though even after signing Thomas and Jefferson we could've moved some things around to sign Reed if we wanted too. 

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

At the end of the day though even after signing Thomas and Jefferson we could've moved some things around to sign Reed if we wanted too. 

That’s possible. But now you have 4 defensive tackles lol. 

But on the other note I do think that they believe in Irving or Thomas as a starting 3T with the worst case scenario is them being a very good rotation

For what it’s worth, something I also noticed historically when it comes to Gus Bradley defenses is that the defense of tackle is not as important as getting the speed rusher but rather benefits from the speed rusher. 

The two times I’ve ever seen a Seattle style Defense have a high and 3T what is the Niners having deforest Buckner and the Falcons having Grady Jarret

Edited by Jeremy408

Will Hernandez G for the Giants is on the trade block for a late round pick according to Nfltraderumors.com

id absolutely consider sending the 2nd 5th or a 6th for him and playing him at RG and Good at RT as a backup plan.

this is why you don’t pay G’s 10M.... there are always good cheap options.

iId rather good doesn’t play RT but if we had to I’d be okay with it.

• Like 1

That’s possible. But now you have 4 defensive tackles lol. 

Mo Hurst is likely getting cut and Philon probably won't not make the team. Even if you keep Thomas and Jefferson you could still add Reed. Hankins, Reed, Jefferson, Irving, and Thomas could all make the roster because Irving and Thomas can both play DE as well. And if you have to cut Thomas in camp and eat $2.8M in dead cap, so be it. 

11 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Mo Hurst is likely getting cut and Philon probably won't not make the team. Even if you keep Thomas and Jefferson you could still add Reed. Hankins, Reed, Jefferson, Irving, and Thomas could all make the roster because Irving and Thomas can both play DE as well. And if you have to cut Thomas in camp and eat $2.8M in dead cap, so be it. 

I'm down to it I think the way Raiders have it set up they believe in Solomon Thomas or David Irving have the ability to be the starter. I also think they have it built-in(Because they're all on one year deals) to basically  Pay whoever wins the job and perform at a high-level The amount that they were paying all three the next year. I actually see a plan with this one. What would confuse me is if they went with the Barmore in the first round. 

1 minute ago, Jeremy408 said:

I'm down to it I think the way Raiders have it set up they believe in Solomon Thomas or David Irving have the ability to be the starter. I also think they have it built-in(Because they're all on one year deals) to basically  Pay whoever wins the job and perform at a high-level The amount that they were paying all three the next year. I actually see a plan with this one. What would confuse me is if they went with the Barmore in the first round. 

Which is fine but good teams are willing to pivot and change their plan when top tier talent becomes available. The Raiders could've signed Reed and addressed a major position of need with a proven talent. We can still sign a CB like Steven Nelson or a RT like Mitchell Schwartz but won't. 

14 hours ago, NYRaider said:

@drfrey13 was right we could've signed Reed for the what we paid Thomas/Jefferson. lmao

Are you kidding me.  That d-line is going to be filthy.  I thought he would go for around $8 because he had already collected the $5 million from his signing bonus for this year.  I would have offered him $10 just to keep him off of the Chiefs.  Better hope Incognito stays healthy.  Could you imagine Good-James-Parker trying to block Jones and Reed inside.  The Chiefs defense just got so much better because when that defense is clicking it is because Jones is creating havoc from the inside.  One of them will always face a 1v1 and will therefore always be a threat.  This was the probably the worst possible outcome for us.  Better buy Carr some life insurance and make some room in the Chiefs trophy case because they have to be huge favorites to make it back to the SB now.

Just now, drfrey13 said:

Are you kidding me.  That d-line is going to be filthy.  I thought he would go for around $8 because he had already collected the $5 million from his signing bonus for this year.  I would have offered him $10 just to keep him off of the Chiefs.  Better hope Incognito stays healthy.  Could you imagine Good-James-Parker trying to block Jones and Reed inside.  The Chiefs defense just got so much better because when that defense is clicking it is because Jones is creating havoc from the inside.  One of them will always face a 1v1 and will therefore always be a threat.  This was the probably the worst possible outcome for us.  Better buy Carr some life insurance and make some room in the Chiefs trophy case because they have to be huge favorites to make it back to the SB now.

Clark - Reed - Jones is going to be absolutely filthy. 

Yall think by next year draft we won't be such an easy team to mock draft for no more. Year one it was pass rusher/rb. Last year is was clearly wr/cb. This year it's clearly safety/OT.  Yall think by next year draft we won't go into it needed point blank clear starters at 2 positions. This routine makes us easier to predict and make us reach for need. I hope by next year's draft we got it mostly lock down and we can get to best player available. 

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Which is fine but good teams are willing to pivot and change their plan when top tier talent becomes available. The Raiders could've signed Reed and addressed a major position of need with a proven talent. We can still sign a CB like Steven Nelson or a RT like Mitchell Schwartz but won't. 

Personally I like the way the route theyre are going at the interior. Both Irving and Thomas have higher upside then reed(Obviously not saying their better players). But what they're doing is they're going to let the two freak of nature players battle it out(While not being paid anything). hat's probably going to be the number one battle I watch in camp this year. 

Last year why I thought Malik Collins situation was so stupid was mainly because they just essentially handed him the starting job with no competition(And he's nowhere near as talented becuase He can't play the run). T

1 minute ago, Jeremy408 said:

Personally I like the way the route theyre are going at the interior. Both Irving and Thomas have higher upside then reed(Obviously not saying their better players). But what they're doing is they're going to let the two freak of nature players battle it out(While not being paid anything). hat's probably going to be the number one battle I watch in camp this year. 

Jefferson is probably going to start at 3T. And how do Irving/Thomas have higher upsides than Reed? He has already proven to be a double digit sack guy at the 3T spot. 

2 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

Yall think by next year draft we won't be such an easy team to mock draft for no more. Year one it was pass rusher/rb. Last year is was clearly wr/cb. This year it's clearly safety/OT.  Yall think by next year draft we won't go into it needed point blank clear starters at 2 positions. This routine makes us easier to predict and make us reach for need. I hope by next year's draft we got it mostly lock down and we can get to best player available. 

This is Gruden we're talking about we'll fill 2 holes and create 6 more.

• Like 1