Defense Discussion [2017]

CentralFC

16 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I don't really care what DVOA suggests, 2012 wasn't a really good pass defense.  I already said 2014 was good.  I said 2015 was average, and it was.  Statistically speaking, they've been good.  When it comes to which secondary you'd pick to go up against Brees/Brady/Ryan/ other good quarterbacks, they weren't good. 

well, i care that they've accounted for everything you've accounted for and then 1000x deeper yet beyond that and showed that the GB pass defense was better than most every other team those years.

Statistically speaking all defenses struggled against really good QBs. Even the good ones.

If 2012 was "bad" you should be able to show that at least 16 defenses were better against the pass. Who were they and why?

Just now, incognito_man said:

well, i care that they've accounted for everything you've accounted for and then 1000x deeper yet beyond that and showed that the GB pass defense was better than most every other team those years.

Honestly, I don't know what DVOA means, and I don't think I trust anything that says we were the 7th best pass defense in 2012 when we gave up 24 touchdown passes to the quarterbacks we played that year.  Those were some really, really, really historically bad quarterbacks.  We literally played both Cutler and Christian Ponder twice that year.  You're not going to convince me 2012 was a good pass defense year.  Because it wasn't.

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Honestly, I don't know what DVOA means, and I don't think I trust anything that says we were the 7th best pass defense in 2012 when we gave up 24 touchdown passes to the quarterbacks we played that year.  Those were some really, really, really historically bad quarterbacks.  We literally played both Cutler and Christian Ponder twice that year.  You're not going to convince me 2012 was a good pass defense year.  Because it wasn't.

they account for opponent strength, so they factored all of that in already. GB wasn't the only team that played bad QBs that season.

4 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Why does Pittsburgh’s zone blitz look so good and our zone look like a  sieve?

good question. I'd be curious to see a breakdown of PITs defense. they are playing really well this year.

I just googled their depth chart and I was high on Javon Hargrave, hadn't heard anything about him since but I have to assume he's playing well as their starter?

6 minutes ago, SassyFascistAlphaGuy said:

Everyone on this forum( before last night, anyway) would trade Denver's defense for the Packers without even debating for a second. Imagine the 0-5 Giants coming into Lambeau and dominating the Packers at full health. This forum would be on suicide watch. Hey, surprise, it's hard to win in the NFL!

not me! GB > DEN, Dom > your daddy.

(gotta live up to expectations)

7 minutes ago, SassyFascistAlphaGuy said:

Everyone on this forum( before last night, anyway) would trade Denver's defense for the Packers without even debating for a second. Imagine the 0-5 Giants coming into Lambeau and dominating the Packers at full health. This forum would be on suicide watch. Hey, surprise, it's hard to win in the NFL!

And I’d still trade their defense for ours in a heart beat!

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

good question. I'd be curious to see a breakdown of PITs defense. they are playing really well this year.

I just googled their depth chart and I was high on Javon Hargrave, hadn't heard anything about him since but I have to assume he's playing well as their starter?

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/20/pittsburgh-steelers-best-defense-afc

7 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Why does Pittsburgh’s zone blitz look so good and our zone look like a  sieve?

They aren't really blitzing is the short answer, they aren't running that capers/lebeau scheme in its pure scheme anymore.  Heck, Lebeau isn't running it in Tennessee much anymore.  They mostly play man to man. 

Pit runs basic zones and basic blitzes more than complex scheme and complex blitzes.

Archived