Defense Discussion [2017]

CentralFC

11 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Ew, no thanks. Oakland's pass D was a dumpster fire.

Carrie was awesome this year? He and Joseph were arguably the only players with positive contributions in that secondary. 

He's also one of the better tackling CBs in the NFL. 

Amerson and Smith? Now they were part of that so called dumpster fire. 

@Cadmus  welcome back to the GB Packer Forum......seems like you were gone for a good part of the year.  Glad to see you back posting.

Looking forward to your insights on draft prospects.   Maybe we can quibble over a few hundredths or thousandths of a second on some OL and DB times;)

19 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Don't know if this can be answered or not - but do we have guys better at zone or man to man ?

I think this is a very perceptive question. 

The "scheme" was so screwed up the past few years, I sincerely hope a new DC from the outside is permitted to come in and offer a fresh perspective on everything, including but not limited to which players are more suited to play man v. zone (as well as which players are better suited playing elsewhere or watching games from the comfort of their own homes next season).

13 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

Carrie was awesome this year? He and Joseph were arguably the only players with positive contributions in that secondary. 

He's also one of the better tackling CBs in the NFL. 

Amerson and Smith? Now they were part of that so called dumpster fire. 

We tried to catch lightning in a bottle on a modest CB contract this year with House and we got about what we paid for, a CB who made less than average starter money.

Time to invest in an actual CB, in today's NFL 6 guys on a rookie contract is not wise roster building. 

Just now, Packerraymond said:

We tried to catch lightning in a bottle on a modest CAB contract this year with House and we got about what we paid for, a CB who made less than average starter money.

Time to invest in an actual CB, in today's NFL 6 guys on a rookie contract is not wise roster building. 

Agreed, but I don't think you'll see GB brass bring in a top FA CB. 

Fuller is probably the best you can hope for... beyond that you have Carrie, and a few others... like a project in Gaines... or a cut candidate in Lane. 

Those are the most realistic targets at that position IMHO. 

Just like at EDGE.... You have Attaochu, Lynch and... if he's cut... a guy like Hughes... There isn't much else to be had out there. 

Same with TE... think ASJ makes the most sense for GB if he hits FA because he's a large... well-rounded TE that's been underutilized. 

2 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

Agreed, but I don't think you'll see GB brass bring in a top FA CB. 

Fuller is probably the best you can hope for... beyond that you have Carrie, and a few others... like a project in Gaines... or a cut candidate in Lane. 

Those are the most realistic targets at that position IMHO. 

Just like at EDGE.... You have Attaochu, Lynch and... if he's cut... a guy like Hughes... There isn't much else to be had out there. 

Same with TE... think ASJ makes the most sense for GB if he hits FA because he's a large... well-rounded TE that's been underutilized. 

If we keep all Jordy, Cobb and Matthews I agree, if we cut one of them I'm on the fence, but if we cut 2 or more of them the targets need to be Graham, Ansah, Johnson type FAs, not middle of the road. What they do with those 3 will determine the path we take this off-season.

20 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

I think this is a very perceptive question. 

The "scheme" was so screwed up the past few years, I sincerely hope a new DC from the outside is permitted to come in and offer a fresh perspective on everything, including but not limited to which players are more suited to play man v. zone (as well as which players are better suited playing elsewhere or watching games from the comfort of their own homes next season).

Crazy thing is I don't think anyone can know at this point. Put me in a padded room if we bring a guy in and we have to re-draft a bunch of corners because they don't 'fit.'

As much fun as it was to draft what seems like 20 DL to find 3 starters, I'm already sick of drafting CB's

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

With Adams and Linsley getting deals done already it looks like Burnett won't happen anytime soon. Said he's had no discussions about a new deal yet after last night's game.

Might be appropriate for a new DC to be able to come in and assess the players and give some input on what 2018 FA he/she (shout out to @Pugger ) would like to pursue.

If a new DC comes in and says they would like to try and retain Burnett, then maybe he is brought back.  

12 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

If we keep all Jordy, Cobb and Matthews I agree, if we cut one of them I'm on the fence, but if we cut 2 or more of them the targets need to be Graham, Ansah, Johnson type FAs, not middle of the road. What they do with those 3 will determine the path we take this off-season.

I'd only cut Matthews for a top flight corner.  I'm not sure that Malcom Butler is top flight, but he's near the top of the class with Trumaine Johnson right?

I like Gaines as an option, and LOVE bashaud breeland.  That guy is a STUD.

Archived