BDL Discussion Thread 2021

Jlash

To the BDL heathens,

1.1 Anchorage - Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson

Easy pick. Has been determined Lawrence will be number one for a little more than 18 months.

1.2 Death Valley - Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon

Dion Dawkins is a fine blindside protector but the league priorities the importance of elite players and Dawkins is a quality starter, he is not quite at the ability of elite blindside edge protectors like Trent Williams. Dawkins should remain at LT this season and early in Sewell’s career. Inspite of that Sewell has elite upside comparable to Joe Thomas, and that type of ability generally leads other players to switch positions all while upgrading the offensive line for an eventual starter.

1.3 Death Valley - Micah Parsons, ILB, Penn State

Two opt outs but high upside talent allows Death Valley to snag another player that could be a cornerstone for their defense. I personally question the value of an ILB this early but if the team isn’t sold on Brooks after one year could look to add an eventual compliment to Devin Bush and a devastating group of talent to stop teams from attacking the middle of the field. 

1.4 Anchorage - Devonta Smith, WR, Alabama

Anchorage will have all eyes on them with these early first rounders. Do you flood the franchise QB with weapons? Do you find upgrade his protection (Willis + Collins are already on this roster)? Do you bolster the defense? Plenty questions will need to be answered with Death Valley doubling up before Anchorage gets their second choice. Smith had unbelievable film and is a rare prospect in terms of production. In this scenario they add another Bama receiver and hope the more crafty route runner is more plug and play them Ruggs in year one. 

1.5 Seoul - Ja’Marr Chase, WR, LSU

I would imagine Seoul will be closely monitoring the development of what occurs with the receivers available this year. They are looking to trade Kyler Murray so this could very well be a QB. Until that point comes about, the team still has a need at WR and getting Chase as the WR2 in the class is something I don’t think they could’ve anticipated if they knew they would be picking at this spot when the season started.

1.6 Antartica - Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida

Antartica controversially took Tua with Lamar Jackson on his rookie deal last season, so we know one thing about the FO: They value offensive talent. I don’t value TEs highly but Pitts has elite film with a high floor. His ceiling is through the roof with some scouts thinking he could be a Darren Waller type of player at receiver. It’s high expectations and a pick that puts high investment on the TE position, but players as talented as Pitts tend to overcome positional value. 

1.7 Anchorage - Patrick Surtain, CB, Alabama

Surtain is the current class number one CB based on game film and production. As a result of no combine, this virtually guarantees him the pick as CB1 in this class barring off field slip ups and/or poor athletic testing numbers. Anchorage picked up some offensive help with their second first rounder and they can follow up by adding the top CB in this class.

1.8 Rome - Jaylen Waddle WR, Alabama

I had some concern Waddle could fall when he got injured but there’s not many other players whom have solidified a top ten pick quite yet so a team with a young QB and Amari Cooper’s 15k per year deal would love to add a 3rd viable playmaker along with Fuller on a respectable contract.

1.9 New Orleans - Gregory Rosseau, Edge, Miami

Nick Bosa got injured early last season and the Cameron Jordan trade kept New Orleans from boasting the best pass rush as they’ve traditionally occupied in the past 3-4 seasons. New Orleans was willing to wait it out on Jeffery Simmons a couple seasons ago and took Nick Bosa + Josh Allen when the position was a strength for them. They’ve achieved a lot of success building their team in recent years so I see no reason they won’t maintain the status quo in regard to drafting.

1.10 Camden - Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State

Camden gets their QB! Fields will probably not be the QB2 in the actual draft but has the upside to be an elite player. We can translate how he wins (intermediate and deep area) and the ability of RPO (presnap advantages) extremely well to the professional level and there’s long term upside if he gets on with a good coaching staff and/or offensive line. The level of competition makes me more bullish on him then other quality prospects at the position this year. 

1.11 Death Valley - Zach Wilson, QB, BYU

Death Valley decides to delay their conquest for a QB in terms of building a better roster and still get one of the high level prospects in the class. Wilson has a lot to like about his game, though I’ve watched little film on him to this point. His ability to win in the intermediate and deep areas of the field combined with some athleticism make him a potential franchise QB in the right team. I do think his level of competition could be a concern but if a team thinks a guy is franchise material you pick him up and deal with whatever comes with it.

1.12 Gotham - Kwity Paye, Edge, Michigan

Gotham gets their heartbroken as the top 3 census QBs are taken right before they pick. In reality Mac Jones and Kyle Trask have respectable upside but are limited in terms of RPO ability. Gotham was able to win with Derek Carr and Carson Wentz at QB because the rest of their team so adding a player to aid to their edge rush will be important with JJ Watt and Brandon Graham over 30 and testing FA.

1.13 Singapore - Carlos Basham, Edge, Wake Forest

Surprise pick! Singapore has a diffrern big board from all of us and they like their leadership players who have production. Is Basham a flashy name at this point? No. He is productive? Very much so and he’s a local talent for SirA. I’m unsure if the first round is too high for him but he’s a safe pick in that teams should be able to get a strong run defender with upside to be a consistently above average pass rusher.

1.14 Anchorage - Zaven Collins, LB, Tulsa

I’ve seen him get very little love to this point, but he’s a decorated college player and Uber productive during his time at Tulsa. Collins projects as a 3 downs LB and is one of the players I am bullish on at this point.

1.15 Ivory Coast - Wyatt Davis, G/C, Ohio State

Ivory Coast got by with a miracle run in the form of shark tank signing Ryan Tannehill blooming into a potential BDL champion. If Ivory Coast aims to totally commit to him they can also address their interior line as they suffered some injuries at that spot and was brought up frequently during their playoff run. With their defensive line built for the long term and a strong roster across the board, Ivory Coast can go after a week one backup that could very well be an impact player down the stretch of the 2021 BDL season.

1.16 Cuba - Jaycee Horn, CB, South Carolina

Everyone keeps selecting him to my team and while Kenny Moore is probably in the 15-25 range of top CBs isn’t as value having shadow responsibility on the boundary compared to how impactful he is when playing in short zones, blitzing, and and occasionally moving to the boundary as a full time #2 CB. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MD4L said:

1.9 New Orleans - Gregory Rosseau, Edge, Miami

Nick Bosa got injured early last season and the Cameron Jordan trade kept New Orleans from boasting the best pass rush as they’ve traditionally occupied in the past 3-4 seasons. New Orleans was willing to wait it out on Jeffery Simmons a couple seasons ago and took Nick Bosa + Josh Allen when the position was a strength for them. They’ve achieved a lot of success building their team in recent years so I see no reason they won’t maintain the status quo in regard to drafting

Love you frogs but I own this pick

2 hours ago, MD4L said:

To the BDL heathens,

1.13 Singapore - Carlos Basham, Edge, Wake Forest

Surprise pick! Singapore has a diffrern big board from all of us and they like their leadership players who have production. Is Basham a flashy name at this point? No. He is productive? Very much so and he’s a local talent for SirA. I’m unsure if the first round is too high for him but he’s a safe pick in that teams should be able to get a strong run defender with upside to be a consistently above average pass rusher.

Not on the list because I got burned by his cousin Terrell Basham a few drafts ago.

I appreciate you though.

• Like 1