Salary Cap

CAPJ

4 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

But you know this entire offseason we fans will be begging to use that money on a high priced FA. 

That they will be. I like the path we have been taking and I’d like to continue that path. Fiscally conservative approach

5 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

But you know this entire offseason we fans will be begging to use that money on a high priced FA. 

That's what tagging Lawrence will be. For all his questions, it's still most likely a better bet than bringing in someone similarly priced from outside the organization.

13 hours ago, textaz03 said:

This will be the first time in a long time we have been in good shape salary wise. Following year should be even just as good if not better since all of Romo’s Dead money will be off the books. We are finally getting smart on not paying for over priced FA’s. Steven Jones and Will McClay have done a tremendous job there. 

They have done a tremendous job for certain! Which is why I am always adamant about us not playing "Madden" with our roster - dont start trading off players and signing big name free agents. One mans trash is often just trash. Its rare you find a gem that is in their prime (LaRoi Glover for example), and often you end up with an over priced vet the original team knew better than to keep (Marcellus Wiley, anyone?)

Usually, teams keep those players worth keeping if they can.

And trading complicates cap situations, while giving up known commodities for an unknown gamble that could end up putting you in a bigger hole at the position.

This front office, Joneses and McClay along with Garrett, have done a nice job building a competitive roster without big trades and without cap strapping the team to the point where we need to blow all up next year. The cap is good to retain the few key ingredients and sign those second tier contributors (Mayowa, Irving, Durant, etc) to fill in the depth. Thats the way you build a team in this era and Im happy to see lessons have been learned.

3 hours ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

If we refuse to draft a quality 1T, gimme Jernigan.

The 1tech isnt valued that high in this system, youre not getting the monster in the middle you desire.

However I just watched a ton of stuff on Irving.

If the coaches can train him to.keep his balance more consistently, you already have the 1tech beast on this roster.

See, in a live game and even with rewinding to rewatch a couple times before jumping back to live TV, you cant always dissect blocking schemes and how defenses approach them on the line.

Irving reads blocks very well and really shoots the weak shoulder of his man very well to penetrate, and has the power to shift and shed when it is time. He makes a great push with leverage and takes on two blockers fairly well. What he tends to lack is the balance and that makes him inconsistent. Too often he lets his feet get out from under him and too far back behind his push, giving up balance for extra leg drive. The sacrifice works sometimes, but other times it gets him in out matched. Tough habit to break though when it has worked on occasion. But im telling you there is something really significant about how he plays that spot. 

Id bet that the defensive unit begins to play better - linebackers will be cleaner, edges more open for ends, and fewer large inside gaps - with Irving manning that spot more regularly.

On 10/13/2017 at 10:37 PM, Dallas94Ware said:

The 1tech isnt valued that high in this system, youre not getting the monster in the middle you desire.

However I just watched a ton of stuff on Irving.

If the coaches can train him to.keep his balance more consistently, you already have the 1tech beast on this roster.

See, in a live game and even with rewinding to rewatch a couple times before jumping back to live TV, you cant always dissect blocking schemes and how defenses approach them on the line.

Irving reads blocks very well and really shoots the weak shoulder of his man very well to penetrate, and has the power to shift and shed when it is time. He makes a great push with leverage and takes on two blockers fairly well. What he tends to lack is the balance and that makes him inconsistent. Too often he lets his feet get out from under him and too far back behind his push, giving up balance for extra leg drive. The sacrifice works sometimes, but other times it gets him in out matched. Tough habit to break though when it has worked on occasion. But im telling you there is something really significant about how he plays that spot. 

Id bet that the defensive unit begins to play better - linebackers will be cleaner, edges more open for ends, and fewer large inside gaps - with Irving manning that spot more regularly.

Hey if Irving can successfully play the 1T spot and hold up physically as well, I'm fine with that. We just need to defend the run better one way or another. Jernigan is good at that.

11 hours ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

Hey if Irving can successfully play the 1T spot and hold up physically as well, I'm fine with that. We just need to defend the run better one way or another. Jernigan is good at that.

Majority of the failures of this run defense, as opposed to the success last year at doing so, is quality tackling and discipline by the linebackers and down-low safety. 

This is where we miss Church. He was good at what he did. Not a great player. But good at his role.

Lee also cannot whiff tackles. He needs to wrap and drive through the ball carrier. Not get sloppy. Jaylon has also been a huge, huge liability here with what I call "spin tackling" - wrapping a guy around a leg or hip and spinning around him to drag him down. Its a very easily broken tackle attempt. Not to mention his poor angles and lack of discipline in holding proper zone and ground.

Yes, we need to keep our linebackers clean and we have seen them blocked far too often this year. So upgraded play inside will help. But it isnt going to make Lee play like the Lee we know and expect, or make Jaylon learn quicker, or Hitch get healthier and play like we expect.

1 hour ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

Are we sure it's not going to help those guys play like they are capable of? Seems to me that if they don't have to worry about getting blocked at the second level every play, it'd make their jobs easier.

It isnt like we had stellar 1tech play last year, either.

And great 1 tech play isnt going to make them tackle better.

Archived