Jump to content

Recommended Posts

If ben did retire, would you consider a trade for Watson seeing that he isn't happy in houston?

That would be a nice transition , set for years, mobility and a can throw down the field

still - fire fichner first

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a silly thread because there is no chance it will ever happen.     

1) Steelers would never throw the draft capital needed to get him (likely the equivalent of at least three 1st rounders), on top of the mega contract to get him on the team.  

2) Even if Ben retires, we couldnt afford Watsons contract.   We could shift some money around, but even if we could manage to afford him, good luck finding the cap space to fill all the holes we will have....and since we likely traded our top 2 picks of the 2021 draft to get Watson, that makes things even more difficult.

3) I highly doubt the Texans trade him.    I think the trade talk will die down once they get a coach, and the coach realizes that QBs as good as Watson are hard to find, and trading him could be the dumbest move possible to start his coaching career.    I could see him traded in 2022 if things arent working out, but it makes no sense not to try given Watson's talents.

Would I take Watson IN GENERAL?   Obviously....but try to be realistic.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Watson is top 5 or better, everyone here would want him to get traded here. I know it's not happening, just a thread to see what people think of what it would take to possibly land him.  His cap ain't that bad next year, and if Ben retires does it save us some cap?

Like others say, get Watson and be set for the next decade with elite and mobile QB that has some houdini's  on that play calls as well. I expect a major trade if he actually demands a trade.  If ben retired, I would trade pouncey and 2 RD1 picks  and maybe more.  Minkah and Watt stay of course

Edited by 3rivers
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d do it in a heartbeat. QB is so essential in today’s game to go from one Franchise  guy to another can save so much work and time. If it cost us a couple of guys and picks, over the long haul it’s a lot easier to find other positions than a franchise QB. We’ve been spoiled by hitting on Ben and forget what it’s like to find a real guy. How long has Cleveland been looking? Anyone remember the time between Bradshaw and Ben? Unfortunately it’s never going to happen, but having a potential 10-12 years with another franchise guy is a lot better than having a good team and a crap QB. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SteelersFan2333 said:

I’d do it in a heartbeat. QB is so essential in today’s game to go from one Franchise  guy to another can save so much work and time. If it cost us a couple of guys and picks, over the long haul it’s a lot easier to find other positions than a franchise QB. We’ve been spoiled by hitting on Ben and forget what it’s like to find a real guy. How long has Cleveland been looking? Anyone remember the time between Bradshaw and Ben? Unfortunately it’s never going to happen, but having a potential 10-12 years with another franchise guy is a lot better than having a good team and a crap QB. 

exactly, even if you give a few RD1 picks away that are like say Artie Burns, Jarvis,  and then overrated OL Pouncey. Would 2 RD1 picks and POuncey be enough though , I could see the Texans wanting a bidding war and what would the highest bid be for Watson? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

No one is giving up squat for pouncey. If Ben retires he has already said he would as well so not sure why he is ever mentioned as a trade piece ever.

He won't be traded for less than the value of four 1st round picks. I would love him to be the next qb of the team but we don't have the cap space or draft capital to even start a thread like this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Big Snack said:

No one is giving up squat for pouncey. If Ben retires he has already said he would as well so not sure why he is ever mentioned as a trade piece ever.

He won't be traded for less than the value of four 1st round picks. I would love him to be the next qb of the team but we don't have the cap space or draft capital to even start a thread like this.

4 RD1 picks, that won't happen here anyways. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

When Ben's done, I'm done with the NFL. I don't much care for the product anymore. I don't care if they somehow got Watson for a 7th rounder and rolled forward. Cutting ties with the Steelers will be difficult but I've been committed to this idea for some time.

That said, trading for Watson isn't worth it. You'd have to give up so much to get him, and you are already getting him on his second contract. You'd never be able to put the team around him to win anything of note. It's better to take your chances in the draft after having a down year, and getting the advantages of a homegrown guy on a rookie contract.

I think the Texans would be stupid to trade him for anything short of the value of 4 first rounders. If Jalen Ramsey and Mack got what they got, you can't go lower for a franchise QB of his age. That's one reason he's staying right where he's at.

EDIT: Consider for a moment that it would have been cheaper to trade up for the pick that landed a guy like Mahomes. If you have the right guy making the decision, you trust in your ability to find the next guy in the draft.

Edited by CKSteeler
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CKSteeler said:

When Ben's done, I'm done with the NFL. I don't much care for the product anymore. I don't care if they somehow got Watson for a 7th rounder and rolled forward. Cutting ties with the Steelers will be difficult but I've been committed to this idea for some time.

That said, trading for Watson isn't worth it. You'd have to give up so much to get him, and you are already getting him on his second contract. You'd never be able to put the team around him to win anything of note. It's better to take your chances in the draft after having a down year, and getting the advantages of a homegrown guy on a rookie contract.

I think the Texans would be stupid to trade him for anything short of the value of 4 first rounders. If Jalen Ramsey and Mack got what they got, you can't go lower for a franchise QB of his age. That's one reason he's staying right where he's at.

EDIT: Consider for a moment that it would have been cheaper to trade up for the pick that landed a guy like Mahomes. If you have the right guy making the decision, you trust in your ability to find the next guy in the draft.

strong words, but I also don't care fro the product anymore . Various reasons why, but as a steelers fan 2020 I don't like the fact this team has no runblocking and the oC is terrible. The NFL in general is going in a different direction too, not thrilled about that either. 

 

landed a guy like Mahomes.

problem with this mentality is that such a landing never happens . If it could happen, sure, everyone would be on that but it doesn't. There are lots of QB fails in the drafts, the Watson idea is a sure thing considering he has proven himself in the pros already.  It won't happen though, I can't imagine him going for less than 3 RD1 picks and a vet. 

btw, what about the nfl today is it that really has you about to leave it and move on?

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Steelers aren't likely to land a Mahomes, but as I said above, if you trust your decision makers you should trust them to land the QB. It isn't just a matter of luck. And if they identify the right guy in the draft, I hope they go and get him instead of waiting and hoping someone falls to them.

As for my general distaste for the current state of affairs, it's a combination of the rule changes that have watered down the game while clearly favoring offenses and just the general over complication of the rules. There are far too many judgement calls available to the refs that can swing games. The officiating isn't consistent within a game, let alone between them. It's not the same product I grew up with. I mean, we just saw a season where someone decided they weren't going to call offensive holding anymore...except when they randomly decide they will. It's been building since 2010 and it hit the point where I was really pretty much done with the sport a few years ago. Went from someone who consumed as much NFL as I could to just watching Steelers games over time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

The Steelers aren't likely to land a Mahomes, but as I said above, if you trust your decision makers you should trust them to land the QB. It isn't just a matter of luck. And if they identify the right guy in the draft, I hope they go and get him instead of waiting and hoping someone falls to them.

As for my general distaste for the current state of affairs, it's a combination of the rule changes that have watered down the game while clearly favoring offenses and just the general over complication of the rules. There are far too many judgement calls available to the refs that can swing games. The officiating isn't consistent within a game, let alone between them. It's not the same product I grew up with. I mean, we just saw a season where someone decided they weren't going to call offensive holding anymore...except when they randomly decide they will. It's been building since 2010 and it hit the point where I was really pretty much done with the sport a few years ago. Went from someone who consumed as much NFL as I could to just watching Steelers games over time.

I feel the same way about the product as you, it's  almost unwatchable much of the time.  I was into a few games for a bit, our ravens game RD1 and titans game (the Spillane game). Other than that, what do I remember about the games this year that I liked? Not much, especially with the fichner offence. 

The NFL is more of a passing game now, and defences can't play like they used to. The hitting is not like it used to be either and the QB's get paid 2x mis tother top players and also play until they are 40 now.  Refs are on most high profile QB's side but not consistent there either. OL holding is at an all time high too, just terrible.  Then there are the celebrations  after interceptions etc.... just keeps getting worse

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...