2021 Free Agent Thread

MikeT14

1 minute ago, Skinsin2013 said:

Doesn't mean Fitz will start. Mentor.

Rather that than Mitch.

Fitz isn’t coming here at 38-years old to be a back up. I’d rather take a chance on a 26-year old reclamation project than I would another mid-late 30s QB playing us to 6-10 or 7-9. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

Fitz isn’t coming here at 38-years old to be a back up. I’d rather take a chance on a 26-year old reclamation project than I would another mid-late 30s QB playing us to 6-10 or 7-9. 

He backed up Tua last year until Tua didn't play well. 

He'd come here to compete. But he'd really be coming here to mentor and get tossed into a game we're losing for some Fitzmagic. 

Just now, Skinsin2013 said:

He backed up Tua last year until Tua didn't play well. 

He'd come here to compete. But he'd really be coming here to mentor and get tossed into a game we're losing for some Fitzmagic. 

He was already under contract when they drafted Tua, correct? He didn’t sign on there to be Tua’s back up. He wants to play. Not be a back up. I could be wrong though dude. 

• Like 1

The thing about Fitz is that he’s kinda like the bad boy that breaks all the girl’s hearts — he's always been the same guy, and yet everyone keeps trying to convince themselves that they can change him and it’ll be different with them. 

He’s great (for a while) when you throw him into a situation where he’s on the field temporarily. An injury replacement, a backup put in to give a spark, a placeholder for the young guy of the future. Miami hit the trifecta last season and basically deployed him as all 3 of those things at various times — and predictably, he played great. But he’s never been able to keep it together for long. The closest he came was a great late-season run with the 2015 Jets, a team he started for all season and won 10 games. He got red hot in November and they went on a 5-game win streak to go from his usual .500 mediocrity territory to 10-5 and on the brink of the playoffs. All they had to do was beat the painfully average Bills, who had nothing to play for.

How did it turn out? Well, here’s one article, entitled Ryan Fitzpatrick throws away Jets’ playoff chances. Three 4th quarter picks, including one into the endzone, buried his team.

I don’t know why it is. I suspect it has to be related to the fact that he’s so incredibly intelligent, probably too intelligent to play a game that sometimes requires you to turn off the brain and just play. He does great when he feels free to do just that, to play freely without pressure or expectations. But eventually, with enough time, the brain starts to intrude again, and you see the FitzMagic start to fade back into FitzTragic — complete with the signature head-scratching, mind-numbing plays that you’d only expect from the league’s dumbest QBs, not arguably the smartest player in its history.

If you’re going to insist on doing a 3-way dance of low-upside QBs with moxie, just trade for the next Fitzpatrick, Gardner Minshew. At least he’s young and cheap. Fitzpatrick has no long-term upside, because he’s 38.5 years old, and he just cannot be an option for a “win-now” team because he’s been in the league for 16 years and never ever won. I love Fitzpatrick, he’s a character that has brought so much enjoyment to the NFL over the last decade-plus with his pluck and sense of humor and the incredible heaters he can get on. But he shouldn’t be an option here.

• Like 1

So let me run a few things into peoples heads because it seems that people arent fully understanding. 

We have two QBs on the roster (three if you count Montez) meaning we are most likely going into the season with 3 QBs. Of those two QBs we have one that was hand-picked (traded for) by our current head coach and the other had one really good performance in the lone postseason game this franchise has seen since RG3. 

Now we all want a "starting QB" as the majority of us (fans) don't believe we have our QBotF on the roster. However, as previously mentioned, the two QBs that are on the roster are favorited (swiped-right) by our coaching staff. 

So where does that leave us? Well as alluded to in the Available paths to QB thread: we can Draft one, we can sign a FA or we can trade for one. Now of these three options only one can give us a bonafide starting QB option, albeit at a premium cost.

Trading for a QB is our only real chance at a starting caliber QB (in the short term).

We can sign free agents that could come in and compete, but the likelihood we end up signing the next Drew Brees is not very good. 

Now the option that most seem to like, drafting a QB. I've stated my opinion multiple times about this QB class and who I would draft if we had the means. We don't however, have the means to trade up for Trevor Lawrence. Drafting a QB this year does nothing for us in the short term.

People need to understand that either Allen or Heinicke will be our opening day starter unless we trade for someone. 

It is my opinion that both Allen and Heinicke need a veteran in the QB room with knowledge of what it takes to be a day to day NFL QB and also has the ability to play if called upon. I think Fitzpatrick checks those boxes.

No one wants him to start, but if he does that means that we know our answer on Heinicke and Allen and will be looking for our QBotF next year.

Just Saying Come On GIF by A Little Late With Lilly Singh

On 3/13/2021 at 3:38 AM, turtle28 said:

@4209 Yeah, every team is going to get a boatload of $. That doesn’t mean we’ll be able to retain the guys we want. I’d prioritize our best players over diving up multiple $100 mil contract to other teams players. Signings in the mid tear, I’m all for, overpaying for another teams FA, I’m not for it.

When has it worked for us except w/ Fletcher?

Alan Harper

Stubbifield

Bruce Smith

Deion

Mark Carrier

Trung Candidate 

Coles

Antwan Randle El

Brandon Lloyd

Adam Archuletta

Albert Haynesworth

Josh Norman 

I here ya @turtle28 loud and clear. I think we will have plenty of money to resign the guys we WANT and that includes keeping the D line intact and signing McLauren. We can even sign Galloday etc if we WANT and this includes the 18 mil for Scherff also.

https://overthecap.com/calculator/washington-football-team/

2024 We will have plenty

We just disagree!!!! and that's cool. But when it's all said and done I just want my skins oops WTM take it to the next level. I don't care who's right or wrong. 

Edited by 4209