AFC Championship - Buffalo at Kansas City

onejayhawk

Buffalo were 17th in Rush Yards Allowed in regular season. They gave up the 8th most YPC with 4.6. Gave up 6th most TDs on the ground. Gave up 8th most 1st downs from runs in the league.

Buffalo were 13th in Pass Yards Allowed in the regular season. QBs had the 5th worst passer rating against them. They were 10th in YPA, just better than us. They were 11th in TDs given up through air. 8th best in 20+ yard completions. 12th best in 40+ yard completions 

Get the run game going again.

Edited by BigTrav

On 1/20/2021 at 7:52 AM, BigTrav said:

Tough, tough day this one. Josh can and will move the ball up and down on us. I really think it will be a game where we need to hold them to FGs. They probably will run it, even though they don't have as good a run game, but I think they test us. HAVE to do something about Diggs. Tyrann?

Their defense hasn't impressed me outside the Baltimore game (where it really did impress me), but Mahomes and co. are a completely different animal.

I really rate Milano and White, and elements of their DL but otherwise I think we move the ball on them and score

It's gonna be a great game but what game from week 12 didn't impress you? Not trying to argue but they've arguably been one of the best D's in the league since November minus the Colts game. 

• Week 12 : 17 points allowed to the Chargers
  • Week 13 : 24 points allowed to the 49ers (10 points allowed thru game, 14 garbage points vs backups/vanilla D in the 4th)
  • Week 14 : 15 points allowed to the Steelers
  • Week 15 : 19 points allowed to the Broncos (6 garbage points allowed)
  • Week 16 : 9 points allowed to the Patriots
  • Week 17 : 6 points allowed to the Dolphins with our starters, backups game in the 2nd half
  • Playoffs : 24 points allowed to the Colts (this was the one bad game since November)
  • Playoffs (2) : 3 points allowed to the Ravens

You are correct on Milano though as he could be the quiet MVP of our defense. He is a top LB in the game imo because he can cover tight ends in coverage (converted safety) and flies around the field and makes tackles. Something the Bills were REALLY missing in week when these (2) teams matched. Here's to good health, Mahomes playing and a tough clean game cause i can't wait until Sunday!

4 minutes ago, The BILLievers said:

It's gonna be a great game but what game from week 12 didn't impress you? Not trying to argue but they've arguably been one of the best D's in the league since November minus the Colts game. 

Not massively impressed, still. You've shown me a list of all non-playoffs teams apart from 1 (the 1 where it was bad) and 1 that shouldn't be in playoffs but somehow were due to a cake schedule (plus the one where I said I was impressed).  I'm not saying it's a bad defense, just that i'm not impressed. I'm not impressed with any Ds this year, tbh. That WFT and Bucs are ranked 1 and 2 says it all. Bad year for defenses.

I don't think defense will matter that much anyway. In the 9 losses Mahomes has had, EVERY single opponent scored over 30. Some scored 50. That's how you beat us. BUF are one of those that can do that. 

Edited by BigTrav
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigTrav said:

Not massively impressed, still. You've shown me a list of all non-playoffs teams apart from 1 (the 1 where it was bad) and 1 that shouldn't be in playoffs but somehow were due to a cake schedule (plus the one where I said I was impressed).  I'm not saying it's a bad defense, just that i'm not impressed. I'm not impressed with any Ds this year, tbh. That WFT and Bucs are ranked 1 and 2 says it all. Bad year for defenses.

I don't think defense will matter that much anyway. In the 9 losses Mahomes has had, EVERY single opponent scored over 30. Some scored 50. That's how you beat us. BUF are one of those that can do that. 

Fair fair. I thought they looked really impressive and they can only play who they put in front of you but agreed. It'll come down to the Bills having to put up 30+ imo if they want a chance. 

23 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

One thing that I like is that he is a verticle runner, vs Clyde and Bell's more lateral style. Since our OL is strongly biased to pass pro, a downhill RB makes the most of smaller holes.

I like that he's short and compact. Hard to bring down if you get your hands on him

The Chiefs have been talking to Justin Britt, one time 2nd round pick ad former starting OL with the Seahawks. One thing that makes him interesting is that he has experience at C, OG and OT. They also talked to Darryl Williams and Rodney Clemons, who spent the entire regular season on the practice squad, so this could be about a reserve/futures contract, which is an area the team has been very proactive.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/chiefs_host_c_justin_britt_on_visit/s1_14819_33875735

Mahomes again had limited practice, but his status for Sunday remains unclear. 
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/patrick_mahomes_practices_for_second_day_status_for_sunday_still_unclear/s1_13132_33874598

It's beginning to look like Eric Bienemy may finally land a HC job, in Houston.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/report_eric_bieniemy_has_real_chance_of_landing_texans_head_coaching_job/s1_127_33875564

1 hour ago, mayanfootball said:

I was just going to post this.

The final report is in. 

Player Injury Participation* Designation
LB Willie Gay Jr. Ankle DNP OUT
WR Sammy Watkins Calf LP Questionable
RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire Ankle/Hip LP Questionable
CB Rashad Fenton Foot LP Questionable
CB Bashaud Breeland Concussion/Shoulder LP Questionable
QB Patrick Mahomes Concussion/Toe LP
RB Le’Veon Bell Knee DNP

Questionable

Player Injury Participation* Designation
DT Vernon Butler Quad LP Questionable
WR Gabriel Davis Ankle LP Questionable
WR Stefon Diggs Oblique FP
QB Jake Fromm NIR FP
DT Quinton Jefferson Ankle FP
DE Darryl Johnson Knee FP
LB Tremaine Edmunds Hamstring FP
K Tyler Bass Hand FP
WR Cole Beasley Knee FP

This I was not expecting. Bashaud Breeland cleared concussion protocols and will play. That gives us our primary CB set against Allen and Diggs. 
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/chiefs_cb_bashaud_breeland_clears_concussion_protocol_will_play_against_bills/s1_13132_33901391

Game time temp is predicted to be 40-ish and possibly wet. 

J

Edited by onejayhawk

CEH to play. L.Bell with knee injury, will not

The Kansas City Chiefs likely will have running back Clyde Edwards-Helaire but be without Le'Veon Bell for Sunday's AFC Championship Game against the Buffalo Bills, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30767717/source-kansas-city-chiefs-rb-clyde-edwards-helaire-likely-play-vs-buffalo-bills

There is a thought circulating that this game is an audition for our OC, Eric Bienemy, and Bills DC, Leslie Frazier. Winner would be the new Texans head coach. I can think of worse ways to measure the two.

It's worth noting that two of the Bills main defensive players, CB Tre'Davious White and LB Tremaine Edmunds were obtained using picks from the Patrick Mahomes deal. The third pick the Chiefs traded was used for OL Dion Dawkins.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2021/1/24/22247244/afc-championship-could-determine-who-becomes-texans-new-head-coach-nfl-eric-bieniemy-leslie-frazier

J

Edited by onejayhawk