TCMD(2021)

RedGold

7 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

Do we tag Darrel Williams also?  He's one of our most important ST'ers,  along with producing anytime we give him reps on O?  

Let's do the depth chart and the cap first ... 😉 .. deciding on the roster has its time  ... and will need a bit of discussion on the forum (I hope)

Offense

OL

Are we going to treat Fisher and Schwartz as booked OT? If so, Niang is the swing tackle and we're 90% done. If we re-sign Remmers, he can also back up RT.
OG has a bunch of candidates. Allegretti and LDT are the obvious starters. Rankin and Durant are the reserves. Remmers again figures. 
Reiter's signing amount looks reasonable. Let's do that.
As much as some posters think it's a smoking crater, I do not see OL as a drop everything priority

WR/TE

Watkins is gone. Robinson must be re-signed if we keep him. Do we want Yelder or Keizer back? Sausage is done and Reid likes to put Kelce in the backfield, so three TE is a must. This part of the roster needs a lot of thought.

RB

Clyde. Figure a TE covers FB. Darwin Thompson is still on his rookie contract. Damien Williams may be back, but in what capacity? Who to re-sign? I would not object to a late pick, but this is a low priority area.   

QB 

Mahomes and Henne. Nice area to have settled.

Based on the cap numbers, these are the offensive players I would re-sign.

C Austin Reiter: $3,265,144
RG Mike Remmers: $2,766,478
WR Demarcus  Robinson: $2,412,375

Defense

DE 

Clark and Danna are set. TK and Taco are cheap re-signs. Okafor can be extended. More talent is nice, but we can play these.

DT

Jones, Nnadi and Wharton are set. Saunders is still on his rookie contract. I don't think we even re-sign Pennel. 

LB

Hitchens and Gay are set. Can we afford Damien Wilson? Niemann is RFA and everything else is ST fodder. This is a bigger area of concern than last year.

S

We cannot afford Sorensen. Mathieu and Thornhill are front liners, but nothing else.

CB

We cannot afford Breeland and it is unclear how much RFA Charvarius Ward will cost. Sneed is the given and Baker may save this unit. I am not sure what happened to Fenton, but he's still on his rookie contract and there is hope Keyes develops. 

Based on cap numbers, I would re-sign:

DE Tanoh Kpassagnon: $1,443,680
CB Antonio Hamilton: $1,099,875
DE Taco Charlton: $920,000

Edited by onejayhawk

Was about to do the same as J ... Offense first, Defense probably tomorrow:

QB: Mahomes is set, The Chiefs under Reid over the past years always kept an experienced backup ... and when he went down as well brought in more experience - Moore. Mahomes and Henne should be good to go .. plus a young gun plus some old farts on speed dial. Moore is to go.

RB: CEH is set and after his recent performances Darrell Williams should be as well on the RFA tag. Don't forget Damien Williams was the bell cow a year ago. So with him returning from Covid opt-out and Darwin Thompson in the wings the team should be set, unless some unforessen opportunity opens up. Right now I'd think Thompson would be the odd man out.

TE: It's Kelce there and nothing else. Some budget solution wanted ... ERFA may be the way to go initially ... cutting those guys later doesn't cost a dime.

WR: Hill (#1) and Hardman (my #3).. then a big void. Returning Watkins is an ilusion with the cap as it is. The big question is: Would Pringle be ready to take on Watkins' role as a physical receiver to complement Hill and Kelce? I don't see any other options in FA ... the draft may be a place to look for THAT guy.

The other issue is Robinson. If the team would be able to bring him back on a comparable deal like last year using the oddities of the CBA .. I'm all for it. Dieter and the other 2020 PS guys are nice to have  ... but they didn't even play in the throwaway game in week 17 ... 

Guess we'll have to take a closer look at the TCMD rules to work that one out.

OL: The big nemesis. Fisher and Allegretti for me are set on the left side. Schwartz: sorry, you'll be the cap guy getting the axe. I was happy with Durant at RG .. and between him and returning LDT there should be a solution. C .. up for grabs. I don't really like Reiter ... others do. SO for consistency .. if he's available for a reasonable contract ... keep him ... else .. look elsewhere .. draft, old fart budget vetereans like Kilgore ... you name it. RT: taking risk here with Niang? If so .. back him up with Remmers or someone like him. That said: There are budget options. However, the unit should be a focus in the draft especially for OC and RG in my opinion.

As this may be confusing  ... this:

LT: Fisher, vet, Durant, Niang
LG Allegretti, ???
C; ??? (Reiter, Kilgore, draft?)
RG: LDT, Durant
RT: Niang, vet, Durant

Edited by KC_Guy

I am taking as give that we are not going to spend the rate on these four guys

WR Sammy Watkins: 7 $16,800,000
S Daniel Sorensen: 5 $13,644,269
CB Bashaud Breeland: 6 $9,337,964
RB Le'Veon Bell: 5 $5,080,482

This guy is a closer call. He is our steadiest LB, who plays 75% of the snaps. It's also a thin unit.

LB Damien Wilson: 5 $4,593,750

Looking at the whole roster, it is hard to overstate how well we did last spring. Clyde was a hit. Gay could be better and Niang never suited up, though both are expected to be important players this season. Day #3 killed. Sneed was the best CB in the whole class, at least as rookies. Danna is going to be an outstanding pass rusher. Wharton is already a full rotation DT. They found DeAndre Baker on the street. Without all of them, this would be a very different project. Other than an off-ball LB and cheap depth, we can play the defense we own. 

J

Edited by onejayhawk

I agree on keeping Damien Wilson.  At least on a 2 year deals. 

Him, Taco, and Kpass would be the three I target off the bat.  

I would personally keep Schwartz.  Remmers, Wylie, and Reiter would all be gone if it were me.   Unless Reiter gets down between 1-2 Mil.  Just think all three are products of Mahomes, and not really worth the long term investments.  

Fisher/DP-Vet (Depending on extension)

Allegretti/Vet-DP

FA/DP

LDT/ Durant/Niang

Schwartz/Niang/Durant 

1 minute ago, samsel23 said:

I agree on keeping Damien Wilson.  At least on a 2 year deals. 

Him, Taco, and Kpass would be the three I target off the bat.  

I would personally keep Schwartz.  Remmers, Wylie, and Reiter would all be gone if it were me.   Unless Reiter gets down between 1-2 Mil.  Just think all three are products of Mahomes, and not really worth the long term investments.  

Allegretti/Vet-DP

FA/DP

LDT/ Durant/Niang

Schwartz/Niang/Durant 

Schwartz I'd like to keep as a player .. but he's one guy we can really create cap space on. There aren't that many given the current contract structures. And then there is the risk he won't really recover ... how old is he? Remember the Eric Berry contract that really hampered the Chiefs' offseason options for three years ...

1 hour ago, KC_Guy said:

😎🙃

UDFA dude. Wharton and Townsend are big parts of the team. 

1 hour ago, samsel23 said:

I agree on keeping Damien Wilson.  At least on a 2 year deals. Him, Taco, and Kpass would be the three I target off the bat.  

Allegretti/Vet-DP

FA/DP

LDT/ Durant/Niang

Schwartz/Niang/Durant 

Durant's not an OT, even though he played there this season. His controlled style is much better suited to LG. It would not surprise me if he won it outright. Allegretti has shown the ability to play both OG, but I really want to see if he can play C. Remmers is cheap depth at that price and he will be starting in the Super Bowl in three weeks. ;) I understand releasing Reiter, though he's better than some here think. 

1 hour ago, KC_Guy said:

Schwartz I'd like to keep as a player .. but he's one guy we can really create cap space on. There aren't that many given the current contract structures. And then there is the risk he won't really recover ... how old is he? Remember the Eric Berry contract that really hampered the Chiefs' offseason options for three years ...

If Schwartz is healthy, definitely extend him a season. Niang can cover LT. Again, Remmers is cheap insurance. 

J

Edited by onejayhawk

1 minute ago, KC_Guy said:

An extension of: 

Mathieu- 3 year

Fisher- 3 Year

Extend Hill or Restructure Kelce.  I prefer the Hill extension

Should free up 13-15 Mil.  Enough for ERFA/RFA,  plus 3-4 of our own (depending on who it is).

Cutting Schwartz would really only be needed if you want a mid level FA somewhere.   He’s only got 1 year left on his deal,  I guess my preference would be to just ride him out till we see what we have in Niang. 

12 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

Cutting Schwartz would really only be needed if you want a mid level FA somewhere.   He’s only got 1 year left on his deal,  I guess my preference would be to just ride him out till we see what we have in Niang. 

Don't know if there are any guarantee deadlines in TCMD ... keep it as an option ... 

Without getting into the numbers what to free up by other (realistic, I hate those weird things that sometimes happened at FFMD) moves I'm looking left and right. E.g. extending Hill right now for cap relief would probably lead to a massive future overpay (not necessarily for perfomance, but for team cap structure) ... tieing the Chiefs' hands REALLY badly (read: NO badly) in the future ... 

Well ... but that thought could be ignored for TCMD ... 

Oh, and yes  .. I would like to have the option to go for a mid-level FA ... to cover holes left after the draft.

Edited by KC_Guy

8 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Durant's not an OT, even though he played there this season. His controlled style is much better suited to RG. It would not surprise me if he won it outright. Allegretti has shown the ability to play both OG, but I really want to see if he can play C. Remmers is cheap depth at that price and he will be starting in the Super Bowl in three weeks. ;) I understand releasing Reiter, though he's better than some here think. 

If Schwartz is healthy, definitely extend him a season. Niang can cover LT. Again, Remmers is cheap insurance. 

Yeah I mainly just put Niang/Durant rotating at RG/RT to show the depth along the right side.  

Tbh with our cap situation,  Any depth at 3 Mil is pretty expensive.  I’m all aboard being Remmers back at Vet Min.  But let’s also remember he is a journeyman that has struggled protecting the edge anywhere without Mahomes.   Who’s to say we don’t pay him 3 Mil,  when we could have gotten the same thing with another journeyman and Mahomes at vet min.  

I’m more on the side of extending Fisher if we do either of the OT’s,  his health is better and Niang was more of an OG/RT guy... though I’m open to being wrong

This was the contract extension I was playing around with on Tyreek.      

6 Year / 115,650,000.    

You can pretty much ignore those 5th & 6th Year Cap Hits.     With only 7 Mil in Guarantees left,  we can easily extend/set free at that point. 

I don't think paying 18.5 Mil at the max,  for Tyreek in his prime in bad at all.    

This is the Cap Savings for the next 2 years with this;

2021 Savings: $3,200,500
2022 Savings: $4,185,000

Extended Contract
Year Status Pos. Sort Player Identifier NFL Team 4 Digit ID Player Name Pos Exp Grade Vet. Min. Base Salary Base Gtd. Signing Bonus Roster Bonus Workout Bonus Cap Number Contract Terms
2021 Active D 2504 - Tyreek Hill - WR KC 2504 Tyreek Hill WR 5 99.5% $990,000 $3,000,000   $9,650,000     $12,650,000 6 yr / $115,650,000
2022 Active D 2504 - Tyreek Hill - WR KC 2504 Tyreek Hill WR 6 99.5% $1,040,000 $6,350,000   $9,650,000   $500,000 $16,500,000  
2023 Active D 2504 - Tyreek Hill - WR KC 2504 Tyreek Hill WR 7 99.5% $1,170,000 $11,000,000   $7,000,000   $500,000 $18,500,000  
2024 Active D 2504 - Tyreek Hill - WR KC 2504 Tyreek Hill WR 8 99.5% $1,210,000 $11,000,000   $7,000,000   $500,000 $18,500,000  
2025 Active D 2504 - Tyreek Hill - WR KC 2504 Tyreek Hill WR 9 99.5% $1,260,000 $16,000,000   $7,000,000   $500,000 $23,500,000  
2026 Active D 2504 - Tyreek Hill - WR KC 2504 Tyreek Hill WR 10 99.5% $1,300,000 $26,000,000         $26,000,000  

We only have 4 players,   not on Rookie Contracts,  past 2022.   So pushing some of these start player salaries into 2022&2023 is possible.    Just need to keep drafting well,  and not using all the picks for trade ups.   Veach was impressive to me, this past year,   not getting too aggressive.