Packers hire Joe Barry as DC

Nick_gb

41 minutes ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

Dom Capers was responsible for turning GB into a 3-4, and this in itself wasn't popular with Packer fans...Than when players like Aaron Kampman left the organization, it further fueled their angst....

I wasn't thinking about Dom Capers.

Just now, goldfishwars said:

So maybe the lesson wasn't, 'hey maybe these guys know what they're doing', it was 'hey maybe Aaron Rodgers is still the quarterback.'

Rodgers was the starter in 2019 and there were more than a few who were saying Rodgers was in decline by the time that season ended.

3 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

So maybe the lesson wasn't, 'hey maybe these guys know what they're doing', it was 'hey maybe Aaron Rodgers is still the quarterback.'

In the regular season, maybe.  I agree that it is probably going to be a bad hire, but I was just trying to put a positive spin on it for sad Packer fans.  There is always a chance that Barry can be more effective with more talent on the roster.

Just now, goldfishwars said:

Yep, but that was still his total return this year going by the rules of UB's post. 

I do agree, he wasn't utilized very much.  I'm wondering if it could have been because that virus took a lot out of him.  From what I hear it can really hit certain people hard no matter how healthy they are.  But I have no clue why they had him sit on the bench for long stretches after he showed what he can do after the TN game.

Just now, Uncle Buck said:

In the regular season, maybe.  I agree that it is probably going to be a bad hire, but I was just trying to put a positive spin on it for sad Packer fans.  There is always a chance that Barry can be more effective with more talent on the roster.

That's what I'm hoping for.  Folks didn't like the LaFleur hire.  I remember there was a lot of moaning when McCarthy was hired as the HC.  He didn't have a stellar resume at the time either.   Like investors say - past performance is no guarantee of future results good or bad.

• Like 2

He started as our LB coach and moved up. Don't have any impressions on him, but he seemed to moving upwards in the organization, so maybe it's the next logical step for him to go back to being DC somewhere.

Not sure this is what the Packers were looking for, especially their fans.

26 minutes ago, kramxel said:

He started as our LB coach and moved up. Don't have any impressions on him, but he seemed to moving upwards in the organization, so maybe it's the next logical step for him to go back to being DC somewhere.

Not sure this is what the Packers were looking for, especially their fans.

A lot of wanted an up and comer and not a retread.  Oh well, management at 1265 never asked us.

On 2/7/2021 at 7:27 AM, Uncle Buck said:

We've all gotten a few chuckles at the expense of Cheeseheads in this thread, but people should also remember that everyone was also laughing at the Packers after the draft last year and they still went out and earned the #1 seed in the playoffs and made an NFCCG.  Maybe the Packers GM and head coach know more than the rest of us do.  Time will tell how this hire works out.

Uncle Buck, what you've just said is one of the most intelligent, well thought out things that I have ever read from you.  At no point in your statement did you ramble, become incoherent or have anything close to being considered an irrational thought.  Everyone in this room is now smarter for having read it.  I award you all of the points and may God look favorably upon your soul.

7 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

They got nothing out of that draft class

Except a possible QB of the future.  And one that may have lit a fire under a future Hall of Famer.

#1 RB for the coming year.

Great H-back who fit well into the offense, as a rookie, until an injury took him down.

Interior OL who played some snaps and looked good.  Along with two other interior OL.

ILB who played down the stretch and looked good.  Was injured early.

And an UDFA at ILB who was so good he got the communication helmet right away and moved Kirksey to another position.

While drafting at the end of the rounds.

GB drafted with an eye for the future.  And still won the division, earned the #1 seed and hosted the NFC Championship game.  I'll take it.

11 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Except a possible QB of the future.  And one that may have lit a fire under a future Hall of Famer.

#1 RB for the coming year.

Great H-back who fit well into the offense, as a rookie, until an injury took him down.

Interior OL who played some snaps and looked good.  Along with two other interior OL.

ILB who played down the stretch and looked good.  Was injured early.

And an UDFA at ILB who was so good he got the communication helmet right away and moved Kirksey to another position.

While drafting at the end of the rounds.

GB drafted with an eye for the future.  And still won the division, earned the #1 seed and hosted the NFC Championship game.  I'll take it.

GB's performance this year had nothing to do with their draft class, which was UB's point right? That we should wait and see because everyone laughed at the draft class and they got to the Championship game.