Packers hire Joe Barry as DC

Nick_gb

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I wasn't asking who wasn't terrible  I'm talking about legitimately good players.

Ryan Kerrigan, Josh Norman, Chris Baker and Preston Smith were good players. He’s a historically awful coordinator. I lived it. Good luck. 

12 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Ryan Kerrigan, Josh Norman, Chris Baker and Preston Smith were good players. He’s a historically awful coordinator. I lived it. Good luck. 

He's not a Tampa 2 Kiffin guy anymore. He's spent the last half decade in the Wade Phillips/Vic Fangio 3-4, which I presume he'll run here as we're currently 3-4.

I cannot stand the hire, but I'm hoping he's not the guy who was DC in Washington or Detroit anymore.

12 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He's not a Tampa 2 Kiffin guy anymore. He's spent the last half decade in the Wade Phillips/Vic Fangio 3-4, which I presume he'll run here as we're currently 3-4.

I cannot stand the hire, but I'm hoping he's not the guy who was DC in Washington or Detroit anymore.

He ran a 3-4 defense in Washington. 

27 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

That is extremely wishful thinking.  This is going to be his third stop.  A leopard doesn't change his spots at this point.  

This guy is the epitome of nepotism and cronyism in the NFL hiring process. He's gotten 3 DC gigs, all because he had close ties to that team's current HC, even though he never did anything worthwhile in his preceding gigs. He got the DC spot in the '07 Lions, where his father-in-law was the HC. He did somewhat well for the Bucs before that, though being the LB coach for Derrick Brooks and Shelton Quarles, who were already great before he got there, doesn't say much. He then got the DC spot for the '15 Redskins, where Jay Gruden, the HC, had spent 5 years with him in Tampa. Prior to Washington, he was the Chargers LB coach who oversaw the development of Larry English, Donald Butler, and Manti Te'o. Awesome. And now he gets promoted from being within the McVay/LaFleur circle, after years of being (and Rams fans can correct me here if I'm wrong), just a really middling LB coach. Like, if I had to pick a unit from the Rams staff, and say yeah, I really want the guy responsible for coaching that, their LB corp might just be the lowest on the list.

The man has failed twice as a DC. I don't care what the team's talent level is, if the result is a literal last ranked unit, you're not doing your job. His best credit on his resume is as a LB coach for the Bucs almost 20 years ago, but he didn't develop the guys, they were already good before he got there.. This is straight cronyism. The man doesn't deserve the job and the Packers will suffer for it.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

Should have just hired Ejiro Evero.

Aubrey Pleasant would have done some incredible things with Jaire. Although, I’m beginning to question why Aubrey has been passed up so much. Something’s gotta give. But all our young guys love and praise Aubrey. 

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I wasn't asking who wasn't terrible  I'm talking about legitimately good players.

I'm sure Barry will be a good coordinator if you give him the greatest players at every position.

I'm not talking about the greatest players right now. I mean in NFL History. All you need is a time machine and then sign all of those players to the roster and Barry will be a great hire.

I'd say the same thing If Jordan Love was going to start at QB but you guys at least wont have that dilemma for both sides of the ball.

The good thing for GB though is winning the division in 2021 should be relatively easy again.

7 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

That is extremely wishful thinking.  This is going to be his third stop.  A leopard doesn't change his spots at this point.  

In all fairness, he does have more talent to work with this time around, but then again, so did Dallas, and that wasn't enough to get Mike Nolan over the hump, so sadly, you might be right as much as it pains me to say it.