Which one of these trades would you sign off on?

whodatworm23

Which one of these trades would you sign off on?

#1. Saints trade Marshon Lattimore to Arizona for the 16th overall selection plus the Cardinals 4th round pick in 2021.

When Jalen Ramsey was traded by the Jacksonville Jaguars to the Los Angeles Rams the compensation was for two 1st round selections plus a 4th rounder and the situation was very similar as Lattimore like Ramsey had 1 year left on his deal but was do a long-term lucrative contract extension. Lattimore now is the same age (24) as Ramsey was then when traded by Jacksonville and while Lattimore isn’t quite on Ramsey's level but he isn’t far off and he has the potential to get even better.. The Saints are crunched for cap space and need to value draft assets moving forward and moving Lattimore to a corner needy team like Arizona could be a win, win, win for all parties evolved.

#2. Saints trade Terron Armstead to the Los Angeles Chargers for the 13th overall selection in 2021.

This new age of young aggressive NFL GM's are taking the league by storm and the Chargers are in a competition with their in house rival Rams for market revenue in LA. The Chargers have a shinny new young exciting franchise quarterback but a massive hole on his blindside. New Chargers offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi is the former quarterbacks coach in New Orleans and knows how impactful adding Armstead would be for his offense. When healthy Armstead is one of the best left tackles in the NFL and has been a mainstay during his time in New Orleans. Armstead is entering the final year of his contract and needs an extension but so does stud right tackle Ryan Ramczyk. At only 29 years old, Armstead has a ton of tread left on the tires but Ramczyk is the younger prospect and can be kicked over to left tackle if Armstead is moved. This move gives the Chargers a youngish pro bowl left tackle familiar with Lombardi’s offense to protect their franchise quarterback, while Armstead gets his money and the Saints add a top 15 draft pick to possibly chase a quarterback in the draft with.

#3. Saints trade Michael Thomas to the Jaguars for the 25th selection plus the Jaguars 3rd round pick in 2021.

While I won’t say that Thomas is untouchable… it will take a lot to pry him from New Orleans. With a 20 million dead cap hit if traded in 2021, the Saints really get no cap relief this year if traded so any team wanting to make a move on Thomas will have to be willing to make it worth the Saints wild here. Thomas has always been a favorite of New Jaguars head coach Urban Myer who he helped win a National Championship at Ohio State and with Trevor Lawrence likely the top overall pick by Jacksonville Thomas would give Myer a go to receiver for his young quarterback and someone to help set the tone in his first year in the NFL. The Jaguars have a ton of cap space so absorbing Thomas’s contract wouldn’t be an issue and his deal is actually very palatable moving forward. For the Saints, its no secret that Thomas and Sean Payton had their share of disagreements this past season but its nothing that would prevent the Saints from keeping Thomas long-term. Moving him however would have to bring a treasure trove of quality picks in an effort for the team to have long-term stability within the salary cap and to utilize the picks received in an effort for the team to find their next franchise quarterback.

#4. Saints trade Taysom Hill to the New England Patriots for the 46th overall selection in 2021.

Hill has a 16 million dollar cap hit in 2021 for a team where is appears increasingly like he will not be the teams starting quarterback. Last offseason when Hill was in restricted free agency there were rumors of interest from New England. Cam Newton was a failure this past season but the Pats appear to want to move forward with a mobile quarterback. Hill just appears to be a Bill Belichick type of football player who could step in day one and give the Pats a dynamic quarterback. The beauty of Hill is that if he doesn’t work out under center, he’s still an extremely valuable player to the team in other aspects of the offense. He’s well worth the value of a 2nd round pick and the Pats can extract that value from a guy like Hill either at quarterback or elsewhere. For the Saints, Hill wants a shot at quarterback but he’s on a one year deal now for 16 million on a team with cap issues and likely will be going in a different direction at the quarterback position. Moving Hill would sting but it would free up over 12 million in cap space in 2021 which could be the difference in being able to resign safety Marcus Williams whom the Saints really value. It also brings in an additional 2nd round pick the team can utilize as a trade chip to move up for a quarterback in the draft or to simply get younger and cheaper on the overall roster.

#5. Saints trade Cameron Jordan to the Kansas City Chiefs for the 31st overall selection in 2021.

This one stings just writing it… Cameron Jordan has been arguably the best dual defensive end in the NFL for years now and at 32 years old he likely has about another 2-3 years left of elite play as both a run defender and edge rusher. The reality is that the Saints will be patchworking this roster for at least the next two seasons. Finding a trading partner for Jordan to a contender would be a way to do Jordan a solid while also freeing up cap space and acquiring a top draft pick to use to get younger at the position. The New England Patriots were the masters of moving on from a great player a year or two early instead of holding on too long. Jordan can still be a special player and could likely restructure his deal and help the Chiefs win another Superbowl within the next 2 years but on the Saints he'll simply be chasing the Saints all time sack record while trying to make the team a playoff contender. Sadly I feel this is a deal that should and should be made despite not really wanting to do it.

WHODAT

#1 and #2 I would sign off on,  would even be willing to toss in a 3rd round pick going back to the Chargers in #2.

I would want at least the offer that the Giants got for OBJ for MT if not more.

I wouldn't trade Cam Jordan even though he had a down year and on a big contract he's one of the leaders of the defense and we can't lose him.

59 minutes ago, Raves said:

#1 and #2 I would sign off on,  would even be willing to toss in a 3rd round pick going back to the Chargers in #2.

I would want at least the offer that the Giants got for OBJ for MT if not more.

I wouldn't trade Cam Jordan even though he had a down year and on a big contract he's one of the leaders of the defense and we can't lose him.

Yeah the 13th overall pick is rich for Armstead but he's still worth a 1st rounder. I might be willing to give up a 4th as a Kicker but no higher.

Was OBJ coming off surgery then? Not sure and Thomas isn't as explosive. I personally don't think Thomas is worth 2 1st rounders. A 1st and a 3rd seems fair to me.

I agree on Cam but if I'm offered a 1st rounder I think I have to pull the trigger.

Just now, whodatworm23 said:

Yeah the 13th overall pick is rich for Armstead but he's still worth a 1st rounder. I might be willing to give up a 4th as a Kicker but no higher.

Was OBJ coming off surgery then? Not sure and Thomas isn't as explosive. I personally don't think Thomas is worth 2 1st rounders. A 1st and a 3rd seems fair to me.

I agree on Cam but if I'm offered a 1st rounder I think I have to pull the trigger.

OBJ was a huge headache, might've been coming off injury I can't remember, also MT's surgery isn't anything that would hamper him, especially since as you put it he's not as explosive as OBJ.  MT is just a machine catching anything that is close and putting up huge numbers because of it.  He's also been limited in this offense as he can do more than what he was afforded by Brees' arm, though it's not a massive amount more.

5 minutes ago, Raves said:

OBJ was a huge headache, might've been coming off injury I can't remember, also MT's surgery isn't anything that would hamper him, especially since as you put it he's not as explosive as OBJ.  MT is just a machine catching anything that is close and putting up huge numbers because of it.  He's also been limited in this offense as he can do more than what he was afforded by Brees' arm, though it's not a massive amount more.

So the Giants got the 17th overall pick, a 2nd rounder (late) and a quality defensive starter in Safety Jabrill Peppers. My current trade scenario is Thomas for the 25th pick, a 3rd rounder (high) and how about Myles Jack? A starting LB the Jaguars signed to an extension coming off a down season and might not fit Myers defense moving forward.

1 hour ago, whodatworm23 said:

So the Giants got the 17th overall pick, a 2nd rounder (late) and a quality defensive starter in Safety Jabrill Peppers. My current trade scenario is Thomas for the 25th pick, a 3rd rounder (high) and how about Myles Jack? A starting LB the Jaguars signed to an extension coming off a down season and might not fit Myers defense moving forward.

That would work.

#1, #2, and #4 are all ones I would be okay with. #3 I think whoever signed off would need to be fired. #5 I'm keeping Cam Jordan, he might rebound next year and his leadership is hard to replace. Don't think I'd want to move him for a late 1st unless his contract gets in the way from resigning other key players.

35 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

#1, #2, and #4 are all ones I would be okay with. #3 I think whoever signed off would need to be fired. #5 I'm keeping Cam Jordan, he might rebound next year and his leadership is hard to replace. Don't think I'd want to move him for a late 1st unless his contract gets in the way from resigning other key players.

Remeber... #5 was also kinda the Saints doing Jordan a solid as well. Jordan will never demand a trade hes above that I believe but the truth is that his best years left is over the next two years and the Saints will be in cap restraints during that time IMO. Can he help the team chace a playoff spot... maybe, maybe not but I look at his situation similar to Rickey Jacksons towards the end of his career when he went to the 49ers and got a ring and retired two years later. I know Jacksons Saints sack record is important to Jordan so I doubt he'd sign off on a trade but it was worth tossing it out there.

The only one I would consider is #2. But that's only if Taysom Hill isn't our starting QB next year. I'm not giving up on CGM right now...it'd be like trading your prized stock at the bottom of the depression. It's simply horrible economics. People were ready to throw Kamara way a year ago around this time when he fought through injury the entire season from the same exact injury that CGM had this year. Let the guy get healthy and you'll see the difference maker again. There are personality concerns for CGM...but those personality concerns have been here long before this year. If you gave him the contract knowing those personality concerns...why would you use that as part of your rationale to trade him now?

2 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

#1. Saints trade Marshon Lattimore to Arizona for the 16th overall selection plus the Cardinals 4th round pick in 2021.

When Jalen Ramsey was traded by the Jacksonville Jaguars to the Los Angeles Rams the compensation was for two 1st round selections plus a 4th rounder and the situation was very similar as Lattimore like Ramsey had 1 year left on his deal but was do a long-term lucrative contract extension. Lattimore now is the same age (24) as Ramsey was then when traded by Jacksonville and while Lattimore isn’t quite on Ramsey's level but he isn’t far off and he has the potential to get even better.. The Saints are crunched for cap space and need to value draft assets moving forward and moving Lattimore to a corner needy team like Arizona could be a win, win, win for all parties evolved.

Keep Marshon - We have had first hand experience in how dang hard it is to find a decent CB in this league, and the fact that so many people are giving up so much just to land a good one tells me to hang on to what you've got.

Yes, Marshon has had a mediocre season(s) but you'll have to refer to my broken record of Aaron Glenn not being a very good secondary coach. I truly believe Marshon has great skills, and will get back to having those with a new coach. And he's a good fit in Dennis Allen's scheme, just needs the right positions coach to get him back to an elite level.

#2. Saints trade Terron Armstead to the Los Angeles Chargers for the 13th overall selection in 2021.

This new age of young aggressive NFL GM's are taking the league by storm and the Chargers are in a competition with their in house rival Rams for market revenue in LA. The Chargers have a shinny new young exciting franchise quarterback but a massive hole on his blindside. New Chargers offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi is the former quarterbacks coach in New Orleans and knows how impactful adding Armstead would be for his offense. When healthy Armstead is one of the best left tackles in the NFL and has been a mainstay during his time in New Orleans. Armstead is entering the final year of his contract and needs an extension but so does stud right tackle Ryan Ramczyk. At only 29 years old, Armstead has a ton of tread left on the tires but Ramczyk is the younger prospect and can be kicked over to left tackle if Armstead is moved. This move gives the Chargers a youngish pro bowl left tackle familiar with Lombardi’s offense to protect their franchise quarterback, while Armstead gets his money and the Saints add a top 15 draft pick to possibly chase a quarterback in the draft with.

I really like Armstead, when he's healthy. This season was one of his best. I'd much rather see us deal away Pete than Armstead, but we know that won't happen.

That said, a solid 1st rounder for a 3rd round guy, probably a good deal. I just can't get out of my head how good he is when he's on.

#3. Saints trade Michael Thomas to the Jaguars for the 25th selection plus the Jaguars 3rd round pick in 2021.

While I won’t say that Thomas is untouchable… it will take a lot to pry him from New Orleans. With a 20 million dead cap hit if traded in 2021, the Saints really get no cap relief this year if traded so any team wanting to make a move on Thomas will have to be willing to make it worth the Saints wild here. Thomas has always been a favorite of New Jaguars head coach Urban Myer who he helped win a National Championship at Ohio State and with Trevor Lawrence likely the top overall pick by Jacksonville Thomas would give Myer a go to receiver for his young quarterback and someone to help set the tone in his first year in the NFL. The Jaguars have a ton of cap space so absorbing Thomas’s contract wouldn’t be an issue and his deal is actually very palatable moving forward. For the Saints, its no secret that Thomas and Sean Payton had their share of disagreements this past season but its nothing that would prevent the Saints from keeping Thomas long-term. Moving him however would have to bring a treasure trove of quality picks in an effort for the team to have long-term stability within the salary cap and to utilize the picks received in an effort for the team to find their next franchise quarterback.

This season showed us one huge thing, we can survive without MT. He has a great work ethic, but I think his beef with Brees really took his head out of the game this season. Coupled with his spat with CGJ, I think he's replaceable. I actually think most receivers are. So I'm okay with this trade.

On 2/15/2021 at 12:23 PM, whodatworm23 said:

#4. Saints trade Taysom Hill to the New England Patriots for the 46th overall selection in 2021.

Hill has a 16 million dollar cap hit in 2021 for a team where is appears increasingly like he will not be the teams starting quarterback. Last offseason when Hill was in restricted free agency there were rumors of interest from New England. Cam Newton was a failure this past season but the Pats appear to want to move forward with a mobile quarterback. Hill just appears to be a Bill Belichick type of football player who could step in day one and give the Pats a dynamic quarterback. The beauty of Hill is that if he doesn’t work out under center, he’s still an extremely valuable player to the team in other aspects of the offense. He’s well worth the value of a 2nd round pick and the Pats can extract that value from a guy like Hill either at quarterback or elsewhere. For the Saints, Hill wants a shot at quarterback but he’s on a one year deal now for 16 million on a team with cap issues and likely will be going in a different direction at the quarterback position. Moving Hill would sting but it would free up over 12 million in cap space in 2021 which could be the difference in being able to resign safety Marcus Williams whom the Saints really value. It also brings in an additional 2nd round pick the team can utilize as a trade chip to move up for a quarterback in the draft or to simply get younger and cheaper on the overall roster.

I don't think he's worth that high of a pick, and I also don't think he's worth $16mil. I do think he's a really good gadget player, but teams are finally starting to figure out how to game plan for him, which will ultimately make him less of a Swiss Army knife, and more of just a knife.

All that said, I want him to stay (although I don't think he'll want to) at a lower dollar. He knows the playbook, and he's a serviceable back up.

On 2/15/2021 at 12:23 PM, whodatworm23 said:

#5. Saints trade Cameron Jordan to the Kansas City Chiefs for the 31st overall selection in 2021.

This one stings just writing it… Cameron Jordan has been arguably the best dual defensive end in the NFL for years now and at 32 years old he likely has about another 2-3 years left of elite play as both a run defender and edge rusher. The reality is that the Saints will be patchworking this roster for at least the next two seasons. Finding a trading partner for Jordan to a contender would be a way to do Jordan a solid while also freeing up cap space and acquiring a top draft pick to use to get younger at the position. The New England Patriots were the masters of moving on from a great player a year or two early instead of holding on too long. Jordan can still be a special player and could likely restructure his deal and help the Chiefs win another Superbowl within the next 2 years but on the Saints he'll simply be chasing the Saints all time sack record while trying to make the team a playoff contender. Sadly I feel this is a deal that should and should be made despite not really wanting to do it.

No. This guy needs to retire in the Black & Gold. He is the most durable end we've ever had, the most used, and is a huge part of the culture of the locker room. This one's just a no.