What are you thinking about?

pwny

10 hours ago, TVScout said:
12 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

.... good public schooling

No such thing.

Other than that I am advising people to avoid buying the most expensive house they can find. I know people who buy five bedroom houses even though they have only 2 kids just because they want the biggest and most expensive house available. Those extra bedrooms are property tax deadweights. 

I don't know how things work in other states but in the University of California system 90% of the budget goes into staff and payroll. That might sound like a good thing but 90% of the employees never go into a class room. In fact there are more admins than there are tuition paying undergrads.

Former HS Teacher here. Do yourself a favor and quit while you’ve only made a slight fool of yourself.

Education in its state is in a bad spot right now, but I’d put my kids’ public education up against any private one they can get.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

At the risk of drastically oversimplifying an annoyingly complicated personal finance decision, the math entirely changes if you have kids and can find a house with good public schooling.

Literally exactly what I did. And people can say what they want, but the housing value raises proportionally to the school system you live in here in Ohio.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, beekay414 said:

What about those of us that just decide that home ownership is something that isn't for us? I have no desire to ever own a home and never have. If I could, I'd be a nomad or drifter but financials keep me shackled to one place at a time. 

What do you mean? You absolutely can choose to never buy a house, but you’ll also need to make sure that when you retire you factor in rent costs the rest of your life into your current long term retirement plan.

9 hours ago, beekay414 said:

What about those of us that just decide that home ownership is something that isn't for us? I have no desire to ever own a home and never have. If I could, I'd be a nomad or drifter but financials keep me shackled to one place at a time. 

Nothing wrong with that at all. Housing is an expense like any other, so during retirement budget accordingly and it's no biggie.

The reason people tend to harp on it is because historically, people have tried to have a paid off house around 50-55 so that they have extra cash in their budgets to compensate for the expected increase in healthcare costs, and because in retirement limiting costs allows low withdrawals, which can result in a massive reduction in tax liability. It's too far away to meaningfully matter for us, but the tax liability not only helps directly, but also could result in eligibility for subsidized health insurance on the public marketplace.

But on the flip side, you've got all the down payment money (+growth) and the years of a lower cost of living to save the extra cash.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Literally exactly what I did. And people can say what they want, but the housing value raises proportionally to the school system you live in here in Ohio.

It's the 2nd or 3rd thing I look at on a listing after price and location (if this is meaningfully different), and I don't even have kids.

Private school is insane. I have a friend in LA proper with 2 kids where the public schools aren't an option, and that and the location mean they need to make an extra $150k/year to cover just those expenses.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It's the 2nd or 3rd thing I look at on a listing after price and location (if this is meaningfully different), and I don't even have kids.

Private school is insane. I have a friend in LA proper with 2 kids where the public schools aren't an option, and that and the location mean they need to make an extra $150k/year to cover just those expenses.

If we sent our kids to the local private school, it’s literally $10K a year per kid for elementary, $12K for middle and HS. I’ve got 3 kids.

So, that’s $60K per kid for elementary ($180K) and $84K per kid for middle and HS ($232K).

You are talking $312K for just schooling BEFORE the likelihood of college (and beyond).

My initial all in mortgage was $313K.

If you assume just having it for school with a sunk cost, it’s almost a literal break even point and I’d still need to find a place to rent for a family of 5.

That is just dollars and cents not even factoring in appreciation of a tangible asset, community and values, safety and security, drive time, proximity to work, etc.

So yeah, I’m taking that just basic math wise.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

If we sent our kids to the local private school, it’s literally $10K a year per kid for elementary, $12K for middle and HS. I’ve got 3 kids.

So, that’s $60K per kid for elementary ($180K) and $84K per kid for middle and HS ($232K).

You are talking $312K for just schooling BEFORE the likelihood of college (and beyond).

My initial all in mortgage was $313K.

If you assume just having it for school with a sunk cost, it’s almost a literal break even point and I’d still need to find a place to rent for a family of 5.

That is just dollars and cents not even factoring in appreciation of a tangible asset, community and values, safety and security, drive time, proximity to work, etc.

So yeah, I’m taking that just basic math wise.

The no-braineriest of no-brainers. Despite the fact that housing costs go down over time, you're still living rent free basically.

I can kind of, maybe almost sorta wrap my head around $12k/year/kid for high school. AP classes, college guidance counselors who care, and very specialized extra-curriculars. Paying $10k/year/kid for elementary school is nuts. That's like serving the 4 year daycare sentence, getting paroled, and saying nah I'll stick around for another 8 years thanks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The no-braineriest of no-brainers. Despite the fact that housing costs go down over time, you're still living rent free basically.

I can kind of, maybe almost sorta wrap my head around $12k/year/kid for high school. AP classes, college guidance counselors who care, and very specialized extra-curriculars. Paying $10k/year/kid for elementary school is nuts. That's like serving the 4 year daycare sentence, getting paroled, and saying nah I'll stick around for another 8 years thanks.

No question. The break even point would essentially be this:

If you do private HS with a public university (B1G or MAC obviously per academic standards), it would essentially be a wash, as opposed to a public HS with private university.

Now, my wife works at a private university in the school of Pharmacy, so as it stands currently, my kids will go to school there for free pending they go to college and she continues to work there, and it’s also why last year for the first time she took out a life insurance policy…it’s for them, not for me essentially, which is something that I want.

I don’t need it, it’s for them.

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Former HS Teacher here.

solipsism.

There are two problems with education in the USA:

1) The curriculum is mostly useless with the kids re-studying the same under water basket weaving they studied in junior high school.

2) The subjects are the kids study are very poorly taught:

7 minutes ago, TVScout said:

solipsism.

1) The curriculum is mostly useless with the kids re-studying the same under water basket weaving they studied in junior high school.

The issue is that our society doesn’t value education, and if we did, we’d have high stakes tests and college prep courses in high school and weed out the other kids and parents in 8th grade like Korea and Japan do.

As for your thesis about me being self centered and the implication that I was a poor teacher, it’s not worth a response and you’d be best to probably amend your ignorance or find a new online community.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, TVScout said:

solipsism.

Look closely everyone:

Blowhard posts like this are a microcosm of society. Everyone is an expert in their field except for teachers, who deserve to be crapped on since these blanket statements and monologues are clearly true.

My equivalent 3 Masters degrees mean nothing because of an arbitrary former job title, listen to this guy and the YouTube link instead. Absolute nonsense.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, MWil23 said:

... implication that I was a poor teacher ...

No such implication was intended. It is not about the teachers as much as it is about the system. Teachers lie because they are lied to by teachers in the previous generation. It is like an error in the source code repeating in an endless loop.

.... listen to this guy and the YouTube link instead.

That guy in the vid was a college professor. 

The issue is that our society doesn’t value education, and if we did, we’d have high stakes tests and college prep courses in high school and weed out the other kids and parents in 8th grade like Korea and Japan do.

NO! If we value education we would utilize a curriculum designed to teach the students how the real world really works. Instead we have generations of confused youth wandering about like zombies.

2 minutes ago, TVScout said:

No such implication was intended. It is not about the teachers as much as it is about the system. Teachers lie because they are lied to by teachers in the previous generation. It is like an error in the source code repeating in an endless loop.

That guy in the vid was a college professor. 

When you see the irony here call me.

2 minutes ago, TVScout said:

NO! If we value education we would utilize a curriculum designed to teach the students how the real world really works. Instead we have generations of confused youth wandering about like zombies.

What I said wasn’t up for debate. It works there better than here for those reasons. You go to a trade school or to a college prep HS where you learn all that. HS is watered down because you have watered down clientele who shouldn’t be pursuing college but should be doing other things. That’s a hard to swallow fact.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MWil23 said:

When you see the irony here call me.

What irony? That the author was a college professor who blew the whistle on the racket that is education in the USA?

What I said wasn’t up for debate.

Why not? Are you the font of all knowledge and wisdom?

You go to a trade school or to a college prep HS where you learn all that.

Trade school teaches none of that. Trade schools exist to prevent the economy from collapsing. All prep schools do is offer a few more AP classes. 

You are a former teacher. Why did you leave?