List of media mock drafts

JAF-N72EX

Since everyone in the media are going to start posting mock drafts over the next 2 months I figured we could post them here to discuss, dissect, or simply just hate them. 

I'll start with a few of them.  Some are hidden behind paywalls so I can't post them in their entirety but I'll post the Bears picks. 

Dane Brugler: Mock draft 3.0

20. Chicago Bears — Teven Jenkins, OT, Oklahoma State

Regardless of what the Bears do at quarterback, the results will be similar to the past few seasons unless they make upgrades on the offensive line. Although his lack of length leads to consistency issues, Jenkins is highly competitive and uniquely powerful with light feet to shut down rushers. 

Chad Reuter Three-round 2021 NFL mock draft 1.0

#20 Jalen Mayfield · OT

School: Michigan | Year: Sophomore (RS)

Upgrading the Bears' offensive line will help Mitch Trubisky -- or whomever is under center in Chicago -- and Matt Nagy operate more efficiently in 2021. The powerful Mayfield could start at tackle or guard at the next level.

#52 Tamorrion Terry · WR
#83 Hamsah Nasirildeen · S

Bucky Brooks 2021 NFL mock draft 1.0
#20 Alijah Vera-Tucker · OL

School: USC | Year: Junior (RS)

The USC product gives coach Matt Nagy options as a swing player (guard/tackle) to plug into the lineup to protect whoever is taking snaps for the Bears. 

Lance Zierlein 2021 NFL mock draft 1.0
#20 Teven Jenkins · OT

Jenkins is a rock-steady tackle with experience on both sides of the line, though he'll likely line up at right tackle in the NFL. He plays with a nasty demeanor and has excellent hand and core strength.

Todd McShay's NFL mock draft 2021
12. Chicago Bears (via mock trade with SF)

Trade: Chicago makes a play for a QB

Another trade! Four quarterbacks went in the first four picks, and in this scenario, the Bears didn't fully address quarterback via free agency or trade. That means it's now or never for Chicago, and it pulls the trigger on a move up the board in the middle of the first round. So what gets it done? To land the No. 12 pick from San Francisco, the Bears would have to send their own first-rounder (No. 20) and a second-rounder (No. 52), probably along with a 2022 first- or second-rounder.

This is more than the traditional trade-value chart expects, and whether that '22 pick is of the Day 1 or Day 2 variety would depend on how desperate Chicago is for the last true Round 1 QB still out there. Niners GM John Lynch could maybe throw a midrounder back to the Bears to sweeten the deal and get it done.

Mac Jones, QB, Alabama

This would tie the earliest that five quarterbacks have been drafted in the common draft era (1999), but the Bears didn't want to risk missing out on the player I consider the final Round 1-worthy QB. If there is a run on quarterbacks, and Wentz goes to Indianapolis or elsewhere, then the Bears have to do what they have to do here. Mitchell Trubisky played pretty well down the stretch, but after declining his fifth-year option, Chicago is likely looking at other options. This season, the Bears were 25th in Total QBR and 28th in yards per attempt, and they tied for the fourth-most interceptions thrown.

Jones had a fantastic 41-to-4 TD-INT ratio and led the nation in Total QBR at 96.1. He anticipates well and has a nice touch on his deep throws, and Chicago would hope he can spark one of the NFL's least efficient offenses.

Mel Kiper's first mock draft 2021
20. Chicago Bears

Teven Jenkins, OT, Oklahoma State

This is a really strong offensive tackle class, and we could see a run on them in the 20s. Jenkins started at both right tackle and left tackle for the Cowboys, and he was having a stellar season before he opted out in late November. At 6-6, 310 pounds, he has long arms and there are no questions about his size to play tackle. In Chicago, he could start immediately on the right side, where Germain Ifedi is a free agent, and be the long-term replacement to Charles Leno at left tackle. The Bears could also be in the market for a top receiver with Allen Robinson headed to free agency.

Edited by JAF-N72EX

At least the OL Issue is obvious enough that Pace can’t ignore it.

I just like how these mocks have no answer for the Bears at QB. They all say “the Bears desperately need a QB” and my follow up is where are they getting him?

Starting Foles seems like a non-answer for then what?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

At least the OL Issue is obvious enough that Pace can’t ignore it.

I just like how these mocks have no answer for the Bears at QB. They all say “the Bears desperately need a QB” and my follow up is where are they getting him?

Starting Foles seems like a non-answer for then what?

God I've backed Pace so much that I feel like such a hypocrite saying this but I hate McCaskey so eff it.... you remember those 6 losses Windy? 

None of those linemen where on my short list of players to target for OL..... and trading UP to get Mac Jones feels like the kind of move that definitely gets someone fired.

I'm hoping for Cosmi or Darrisaw at OT, a QB, or I'm going for a skill position guy personally.

Right now, my money would be on us us trading up for Trey Lance in the ~8-14 range........  I don't think we're getting "the guy" in FA, and Pace has to swing for the fences.   Lance is exactly that kind of long shot swing on upside you have to hope pays off. Worst case scenario, you can use him similar to Lamar Jackson for a few years while trying to find a longer term solution.  He's by far the riskiest qb in the class given his inexperience, but Pace and Nagy really don't have anything to lose.  To be clear, I'm not saying he's the guy I want (I want Wilson personally), and I'm not even saying that's what we SHOULD do as a franchise, just rather what I expect Pace and Nagy realize they have to do, in order to stay employed.

Edited by Epyon

12 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

God I've backed Pace so much that I feel like such a hypocrite saying this but I hate McCaskey so eff it.... you remember those 6 losses Windy? 

In my mind there is a 0% chance you can start Foles.

Which means we could go into the draft beyond desperate.

I just do not think that many of these mocks, and granted it is pre free agency, are taking into account a coach and GM who almost packed their offices because their hand picked QBs sucked.

7 hours ago, Epyon said:

Right now, my money would be on us us trading up for Trey Lance in the ~8-14 range........  I don't think we're getting "the guy" in FA, and Pace has to swing for the fences.   Lance is exactly that kind of long shot swing on upside you have to hope pays off. Worst case scenario, you can use him similar to Lamar Jackson for a few years while trying to find a longer term solution.  He's by far the riskiest qb in the class given his inexperience, but Pace and Nagy really don't have anything to lose.  To be clear, I'm not saying he's the guy I want (I want Wilson personally), and I'm not even saying that's what we SHOULD do as a franchise, just rather what I expect Pace and Nagy realize they have to do, in order to stay employed.

Not a proponent of drafting Lance--at least high, but there's no way in hell that the kid falls--but don't you think that they need a QB that can start, fairly early on? I don't think Lance is that guy. And regardless of how Foles would end up playing, I think there's no way that Pace and Nagy take the risk of him being the starter for any period of time.

If they could get Minshew or Fitzmagic or somebody to be a bridge. then I could see them drafting Lance. (Although I still wouldn't be a fan of that move.)

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I just do not think that many of these mocks, and granted it is pre free agency, are taking into account a coach and GM who almost packed their offices because their hand picked QBs sucked.

A lot of them don't do trades, either. They just stick with the slotting. 

The sublime beauty of posting a mock draft for a team you barely know about is that you'll get more engagement with a bad pick than a good one. 

As for Lance,  man if that guy could go somewhere with a vet QB still getting it done but only for a year or two, that would be perfect.  I think he'll be good, but put him a situation like the last couple Jets' seasons, or you know, the Bears, and he's going to get nowhere. 

I didn't truly appreciate the corner that keeping the staff backs the Bears into. What they should do for team and what they have to do for jobs are totally at odds. If ever there was a year to tank and burn it down/sell it off it's this one, but they won't because they think they're close. Ugh.  

22 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

If ever there was a year to tank and burn it down/sell it off it's this one, but they won't because they think they're close. Ugh.  

Well, they're not wrong on that. The problem is that quite a few of the team's important pieces are aging. And so...if you get a young QB, you may end up with different problems down the road. You get a vet that doesn't pan out, then the whole thing collapses. It never should have come to this. 

Are they really that close though?  If I pretend I'm Ryan Pace but with ****ty hair,  I sit down and look at this team and I see that it needs: an average+ QB, two tackles, IOL depth, another TE, WR2 or WR3, possibly WR1 if Robinson leaves, Edge help since Quinn sucks, possibly DT replacing Hicks, ILB help, safety, and maybe even my kickas CB from last year needs a shoulderectomy every season?  I love them, but I think for them to be close is going to take a bunch of players over achieving, somehow nailing QB OT and WR all in an offseason, and then getting some FA steals or huge wins late in the draft.  Never going to say it's impossible, but that's a big big hill to climb. 

Oh and also we still don't really know if the offensively minded coach we brought in can run a good offense for a whole year. 

Have you ever looked at buying a popular used car? The sellers always think they've got gold when it's crap instead, you'll see ads like "Toyota Tacoma 2000, 345k mi, great condition just a little rust in the rockers, fenders, bed, frame, check engine light on, needs seats, roof and glove box, also brakes and tires.  No lowball offers, I know whut I got $14k firm" THATS THE BEARS

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Are they really that close though?  If I pretend I'm Ryan Pace but with ****ty hair,  I sit down and look at this team and I see that it needs: an average+ QB, two tackles, IOL depth, another TE, WR2 or WR3, possibly WR1 if Robinson leaves, Edge help since Quinn sucks, possibly DT replacing Hicks, ILB help, safety, and maybe even my kickas CB from last year needs a shoulderectomy every season?  I love them, but I think for them to be close is going to take a bunch of players over achieving, somehow nailing QB OT and WR all in an offseason, and then getting some FA steals or huge wins late in the draft.  Never going to say it's impossible, but that's a big big hill to climb. 

Oh and also we still don't really know if the offensively minded coach we brought in can run a good offense for a whole year. 

Have you ever looked at buying a popular used car? The sellers always think they've got gold when it's crap instead, you'll see ads like "Toyota Tacoma 2000, 345k mi, great condition just a little rust in the rockers, fenders, bed, frame, check engine light on, needs seats, roof and glove box, also brakes and tires.  No lowball offers, I know whut I got $14k firm" THATS THE BEARS

😆

Yeah, dude, they are close. But it's not like I haven't been paying attention as of late, I get where you're coming from. 🙂

Quinn should recover from his foot problem. If not, Gipson came on late, and there is other decent backup. Mack may well be a problem, but until proven otherwise, he's at least a good player. The secondary isn't the mess you make it out to be.

The real problem is the offensive line. And while it's unacceptable that it's gotten to this point, it has. But...if the problem is actually addressed (e.g.; more than two seventh round picks per draft, more acquisitions in FA) then it becomes a MUCH better unit, as there are undeniably some pieces already in place there. 

Now...am I claiming that I have faith Pace can fix things? No, not at all. I've given up on that guy. But let's be real--the Bears aren't a BAD team. First and foremost, they just need a quarterback. 

• Like 1

Whoever plays QB, assuming he plays relatively well, Bears still need to do following to be remotely an outside contender:

resign/tag ARob or sign a different top WR FA ike Godwin, Shuster or Golladay,

AND upgrade OT,

AND resign Ifedi or someone as good,

AND get top level play from Mack, Quinn and Jackson who also have to stay healthy for full season,

AND Kmet has to take big step forward, 

AND Jaylon Johnson's shoulder has to survive a full season,

AND Shelley, Vildor or Burns need to step up and play better than Skrine,

AND they can't afford for Montgomery to get hurt,

AND Fuller can't get hurt either.

A lot of ANDS or IFs.

A big trade for QB likely takes OL upgrade and WR retention or new signing off table and you may lose players like Hicks as well as Robinson.   Good luck with that.   

They were subpar or simply par team with ARob and Hicks, downgrading from them significantly will be a problem.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

AND they can't afford for Montgomery to get hurt,

No, you're right, they can't afford that. But, drafting, or signing, a good backup to Montgomery isn't really all that hard to do. For a reasonable GM. With a reasonable coach, giving him reasonable roster input. 

Will it happen? Will people be "reasonable"? 

Who the hell knows...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

A lot of ANDS or IFs.

Cmon now....about half of these are silly hyperbole. It seems like you were reaching just to make the list longer to prove your point. 

Idefi is easy to re-sign (or find a replacement in the same way we found him).

Quinn is a legit concern. Not worried about Mack or Jackson.

Every team is looking for last years rookies to take the next step and Kmet showed no reason he shouldn't.

Nothing suggests in the least bit that either Monty or Fuller are injury risks .  Fuller literally hasn't missed a game since his rookie season 7 years ago. 

Every team in the league will be going into the season with what-ifs.

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

No, you're right, they can't afford that. But, drafting, or signing, a good backup to Montgomery isn't really all that hard to

We have the past 2 Oregon State RBs on our roster, and just made a move to get the Oregon State RB coach as our RB coach.

For better or worse, we aren't taking a running back this year... Nall and Pierce are it....

That being said, if we fixed the gdamn OL, I think you might see some really dramatic things from Cohen and maybe Pierce, at the very least, and maybe also Nall..... Their biggest issue is getting contacted so early that they can't get going, and none of them play physically enough to be a hammer.

14 minutes ago, Epyon said:

We have the past 2 Oregon State RBs on our roster, and just made a move to get the Oregon State RB coach as our RB coach.

For better or worse, we aren't taking a running back this year... Nall and Pierce are it....

That being said, if we fixed the gdamn OL, I think you might see some really dramatic things from Cohen and maybe Pierce, at the very least, and maybe also Nall..... Their biggest issue is getting contacted so early that they can't get going, and none of them play physically enough to be a hammer.

When Pierce was FINALLY allowed to see the field...he looked really good. Who knows if Nagy will decide to keep playing him some, though. 

But, it's pretty easy to throw a RB into the draft mix. Stop drafting 3-4 cornerbacks every year, and things become a lot easier to navigate.