Dragon Age: Dreadwolf (Bioware, 2023?)

Kiltman

Idk about this franchise.  I absolutely loved Origins.  At the time, I didn't like DA2 when it came out, mostly because it was so extremely different than Origins.  I replayed it a few years ago and as a stand alone game I think its actually a pretty solid game.  I could never make it through Inquisition, too many boring fetch quests and other tedious crap.  Inquisition to me is the definition of the "open world" game that is large in scale and low on enjoyable content.  I never went back and replayed it.  Maybe I should give it another chance.

My biggest issue with the Dragon Age franchise is that every game is so different from the previous one that there's no continuity or familiarity to it.  I don't want that in a franchise.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Idk about this franchise.  I absolutely loved Origins.  At the time, I didn't like DA2 when it came out, mostly because it was so extremely different than Origins.  I replayed it a few years ago and as a stand alone game I think its actually a pretty solid game.  I could never make it through Inquisition, too many boring fetch quests and other tedious crap.  Inquisition to me is the definition of the "open world" game that is large in scale and low on enjoyable content.  I never went back and replayed it.  Maybe I should give it another chance.

My biggest issue with the Dragon Age franchise is that every game is so different from the previous one that there's no continuity or familiarity to it.  I don't want that in a franchise.  

They've definitely gotten jerked around more than perhaps any other EA franchise.
Like whatever the current flavor is EA seems to make Bioware make Dragon Age that. It's what did Fable in too.

DA2 was a fun game for the characters. I always thought it got a bad rap, but think it helped that I really didn't get into Origins for whatever reason.
Get what you mean with Inquisition, if you stick with it you'd probably like some of the later game stuff. But it can be a slog occasionally. I've tried to replay it multiple times and just check out. Really enjoyed the one playthrough I did do though.

This one seems to be somewhat the same with a fresh start again, but it'll be more personally tied to something that happens in Inquisition, like what happens with one of the characters.

7 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I completely disagree about Inquisition.   It had a ton of enjoyable content.   Obviously, its a matter of preference, but most people I know who played it and enjoy open world RPGs enjoyed it.

My main gripe is that building the Inquisition didnt really lead to much of a payoff....but I still enjoyed the game.   Never finished it....but that was due to personal reasons.

Anyway, alot of games in great franchises tend to be vastly different than the others.   As long as they are great games, I dont mind at all.

• 1 year later...

Name released, 

Mor_1x1_1080.jpeghttps://blog.bioware.com/2022/06/02/our-next-adventure-dragon-age-dreadwolf/

Who is the Dread Wolf?

Solas, the Dread Wolf. Some say he might be an ancient elven god, but some say not. Others say a betrayer of his people…or a savior who now seeks to rescue them at the cost of your world. His motives are inscrutable and his methods sometimes questionable, earning him a reputation as something of a trickster deity—a player of dark and dangerous games.

Whether you’re new to Dragon Age™ stories or you’ve experienced them all, using Solas’s namesake no doubt suggests a spectrum of endless possibilities on where things may go. But at the core of this, like every past game, is you. If you’re new to Dragon Age, you have no need to worry about not having met our antagonist just yet. He’ll properly introduce himself when the time is right, but we did hint at his return when we announced #TheDreadWolfRises back in 2018.

More Dragon Age: Dreadwolf later this year

We suspect you have questions and they’ll be answered in time. While the game won’t be releasing this year, we’re growing closer to that next adventure. Rest assured, Solas is placing his pieces on the board as we speak. That’s all we have for now, but we hope knowing the official title has sparked some intrigue, as we’ll be talking more about the game later this year!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Apparition said:

The me of 10 years ago would've been very excited for this.

The me of now is highly reluctant to give any money to EA.

At least the EA of now is slightly better than the one 5 years ago.

We would’ve gotten a crappy multiplayer looter with a BR mode.

They at least were reminded that good single player games work too. But always hesitant with them.

6 hours ago, Kiltman said:

At least the EA of now is slightly better than the one 5 years ago.

We would’ve gotten a crappy multiplayer looter with a BR mode.

They at least were reminded that good single player games work too. But always hesitant with them.

They completely ruined what made BioWare, special, though.

I think this game could be okay (I liked Inquisition more than most it seems), but we are likely never going to get games on par with Dragon Age 1, KOTOR, or Mass Effect 1 and 2 from BioWare ever again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 43M said:

They completely ruined what made BioWare, special, though.

I think this game could be okay (I liked Inquisition more than most it seems), but we are likely never going to get games on par with Dragon Age 1, KOTOR, or Mass Effect 1 and 2 from BioWare ever again.

100%

Wish Microsoft had just upped their pitch to buy them after they made KOTOR, Jade Empire and Mass Effect for Xbox. Who’s to say they survive the 2010-2013 Xbox period of ineptitude, but they would’ve been better off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiltman said:

100%

Wish Microsoft had just upped their pitch to buy them after they made KOTOR, Jade Empire and Mass Effect for Xbox. Who’s to say they survive the 2010-2013 Xbox period of ineptitude, but they would’ve been better off.

Even better would have been Sony....if only because Sony clearly respects the single player experience more than Microsoft.   Can you imagine them having Dragon Age and Mass Effect as exclusives?   

Let me dream....

3 hours ago, 43M said:

Even better would have been Sony....if only because Sony clearly respects the single player experience more than Microsoft.   Can you imagine them having Dragon Age and Mass Effect as exclusives?   

Let me dream....

Speaking like in 2007 terms when EA acquired them. 2007 Microsoft was at their peak Single player love, something they will only maybe get to next year with all their releases. Xbox has typically been the western rpg home the last two decades, which is sealed in stone now with having bought most of the teams who make them.

But Xbox came off getting Oblivion (for a year), Gears of War, Dead Rising 1 in that launch year + others. 2007 you had Mass Effect, Bioshock, the halo 3 campaign. Stuff like The Orange Box, Crackdown. Fable 2, Gears 2 the year after. Bioware would’ve made a lot of sense to add and would’ve actually been in a position to get them.

Sony was in their roughest spot then, I’m sure they could’ve been fine and one of the pillars of the PlayStation western studios leading the company forward when PlayStation stopped the meltdown.  Would’ve been interesting how that affected things for BioWare.

2007, 100% Xbox. Would’ve helped both of them in the later half of that gen and the Xbox One years. 2012 Sony or 2018 Sony, would be better.

Either one of them couldn’t have done a worse job than EA did though. An interesting elseworlds question.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kiltman said:

Speaking like in 2007 terms when EA acquired them. 2007 Microsoft was at their peak Single player love, something they will only maybe get to next year with all their releases. Xbox has typically been the western rpg home the last two decades, which is sealed in stone now with having bought most of the teams who make them.

But Xbox came off getting Oblivion (for a year), Gears of War, Dead Rising 1 in that launch year + others. 2007 you had Mass Effect, Bioshock, the halo 3 campaign. Stuff like The Orange Box, Crackdown. Fable 2, Gears 2 the year after. Bioware would’ve made a lot of sense to add and would’ve actually been in a position to get them.

Sony was in their roughest spot then, I’m sure they could’ve been fine and one of the pillars of the PlayStation western studios leading the company forward when PlayStation stopped the meltdown.  Would’ve been interesting how that affected things for BioWare.

2007, 100% Xbox. Would’ve helped both of them in the later half of that gen and the Xbox One years. 2012 Sony or 2018 Sony, would be better.

Either one of them couldn’t have done a worse job than EA did though. An interesting elseworlds question.

I dont necessarily disagree, but Sony quickly bounced back from their "rough" spot back then.   Most of that stemmed from the disastrous PS3 launch, but they recovered nicely.

Anyway, you are right that, at the time, Microsoft made more sense, but I was thinking big picture.    I feel like Microsoft would have sidelined those franchises over the last several years like EA kinda has.   I feel like, under Sony the last 7 to 10 years, Mass Effect and Dragon Age would have gotten more love, because Sony never really lost sight of the single player experience the way both EA and Microsoft did.

Edited by 43M
  • Like 1