Grading the Roster - WR

pwny

How would you grade our Wide Receivers as currently constructed?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. How would you grade our Wide Receivers as currently constructed?

2. 2. What is the bigger need?

• Outside Receiver
    • Slot Receiver
  3. 3. After the additions of Marvin Jones and Philip Dorsett, where do you now grade the WRs?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

How good is our group of Wide Receivers right now?

• DJ Chark
  • Laviska Shenault
  • Collin Johnson
  • Josh Hammond

Are there any of these players that should be let go or traded?

Are there any pending Free Agents at the position that you would like to see come back?

• Keelan Cole - UFA
  • Chris Conley - UFA
  • Dede Westbrook - UFA

Other questions to consider answering:

Who would you make the starter(s)? Who is the best back up? If a starter went out for any real amount of time, would the backup be able to perform well enough to keep the team on track? Do you expect growth, decline, or similar play out of the players at this position?

Previous threads in this series:

Quarterbacks
EDGE

And a special mention of @Uncle Buck for hopping on this thread idea a day before I was ready to roll it out. lol

I'd say that Shenault is our best receiver right now.  Chark is capable, but his effort seems to increase and decrease at times.  These two are a good pair, but I'd like to see the Jags get themselves a true #1 receiver.  Ja'Marr Chase would be ideal, but I'm afraid he would be long gone before he gets to a point where it makes sense for us to even try and trade up for him.

As far as the other receivers on the roster, they are ok, but could probably be replaced fairly easily.  One thing I think it would be nice to see is a new kick returner.  Dede Westbrook seldom seems to even get the ball back out to the 20 yard line.  The coaches should tell him to let a lot more of them just go into the end zone because his short returns are giving us a lot of bad field position.

51 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Chark is capable, but his effort seems to increase and decrease at times.

From everything I’ve seen, it seems like he was playing demoralized because once Minshew’s accuracy went out the door, nobody on the roster could get him the ball when he broke free. I wouldn’t accept this as a norm if he has better QB play. 

10 minutes ago, pwny said:

From everything I’ve seen, it seems like he was playing demoralized because once Mindhew’s accuracy went out the door, nobody on the roster could get him the ball when he broke free. I wouldn’t accept this as a norm if he has better QB play. 

Was Minshew's accuracy really that bad?  I know he missed some throws here and there, but every QB does that.  So far I haven't seen anything that was really all that horrible.

10 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I'll take your word for it, .Buzz.  You've watched more games than I have at this point.  At least passing accuracy shouldn't be a problem for our QB next year.   :)

If you are able to run through game tape you'll see plenty of overthrows/underthrows when he gets wide open. At some point it's going to get to you mentally. It did for DJ.

I'd give the group as it stands today a C+.

Chark is great, and the clear cut best receiver on the roster right now IMO. Not a huge fan of his attitude on the field at times, but I do think that'll be nipped in the bud by solving the QB conundrum with Trevor. 

Shenault is probably our highest potential guy on the roster, he showed some serious flashes last year, hopefully he can continue to develop and I think he can become our best receiver.

Johnson didn't have a ton of opportunities but he's another very high potential young guy who hopefully can be coached to his full potential.

I don't think Josh Hammond is a real person, let alone a receiver on the NFL team that I follow. Never heard of him.

I'd love to resign Cole at the right price, hopefully that happens.

I think this group can and probably will become a B/B+ group with a couple of additions via the draft/FA, right now it's just a very very young group.

I think Chark got hit in the face with reality this season. Came in to the season taking shots at everyone who left here, taking about how he actually wanted to catch balls from Minshew, and then it hit hard when he realized that everyone else was completely right. 

8 minutes ago, Jaguarfan said:

I don't think Josh Hammond is a real person, let alone a receiver on the NFL team that I follow. Never heard of him.

He was a UDFA last season. No combine invite or Pro Day for him. Then spent the season bouncing between the practice squad and the COVID list. He signed a futures contract in January. 

12 hours ago, .Buzz said:

If you are able to run through game tape you'll see plenty of overthrows/underthrows when he gets wide open. At some point it's going to get to you mentally. It did for DJ.

Good play to watch is the 40yd reception near the beginning of the first Tennessee game.  Chark is wide open but by the time the ball gets there he has to make a contested catch and ends up getting creamed by 2 defenders.  Probably the play he got injured on.  Typical Gardner throw that looks good on the stat sheet but a better qb would have thrown a td pass there. 

- charles 

• Like 1

Really wish there was a C+ option here.

Chark should be a capable #1 given a decent QB to throw him the ball. There were quite a few times he was open and not targeted or the throw was just off.

The potential is there for Shenault as well but I get worried with him. Will he be injury prone throughout his career given his play style?

I'm actually a big fan of Johnson though, was rooting to take him earlier in the draft so was thrilled when we picked him late. It’s extremely nice to have a big body receiver like that who seems sure handed as well.

After that we really need some depth here. I’m a fan of bringing back Cole a 2-3 year deal as long as it’s not to much of an over pay. Somewhere around 2 years 8 million with 3 guaranteed or 3 Years 12 million seems fair and appropriate here.