2017-2018 NBA GDT: Off the court discussions

11sanchez11

NBA Champions  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who's The Favorite to Win it All This Year?

• Warriors
    • Cavaliers
    • Someone Else, Somehow?

33 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

At least the rockets went out and added a star this year and got a new coach last year to try and win. Toronto keeps rolling out the same crap. 

There are many different ways to respond to this I'm not sure what I'm going to go with but there were numerous factors involved. 

I never once said Houston wasn't putting an effort or not trying. Yea they added a star player, yes they added a new HC. Do you really feel they are Night and day better positioned in the west than Toronto is in the east?

Toronto at the deadline acquired Ibaka last season they made an effort. Toronto completely changed their offensive system this season they are making an effort. 

What is Toronto's end game? They have drafted extremely well for where they have been picking from (Norm 2nd round, Wright late 20's, Pascal late 20's, etc) and have built a top 5 bench filled with youth. OG is now a starter and he was I believe the 23rd pick. 

With that said how were we gonna get a "star" that would have made an impact that also would have completely destroyed the bench? If you want to play this game and list nominal players having player X while losing OG plus future picks or whatever the cost still wouldn't have put us over Cleveland anyways. Would it? 

Going all in and blowing up the future core really would only move this team from maybe being the second best team in the east to definitely being the second best team in the east if that. Do you go all in if that is the case?

What has Cleveland done this offseason to close the gap between Golden State?

18 minutes ago, kyle21121 said:

There are many different ways to respond to this I'm not sure what I'm going to go with but there were numerous factors involved. 

I never once said Houston wasn't putting an effort or not trying. Yea they added a star player, yes they added a new HC. Do you really feel they are Night and day better positioned in the west than Toronto is in the east?

Toronto at the deadline acquired Ibaka last season they made an effort. Toronto completely changed their offensive system this season they are making an effort. 

What is Toronto's end game? They have drafted extremely well for where they have been picking from (Norm 2nd round, Wright late 20's, Pascal late 20's, etc) and have built a top 5 bench filled with youth. OG is now a starter and he was I believe the 23rd pick. 

With that said how were we gonna get a "star" that would have made an impact that also would have completely destroyed the bench? If you want to play this game and list nominal players having player X while losing OG plus future picks or whatever the cost still wouldn't have put us over Cleveland anyways. Would it? 

Going all in and blowing up the future core really would only move this team from maybe being the second best team in the east to definitely being the second best team in the east if that. Do you go all in if that is the case?

What has Cleveland done this offseason to close the gap between Golden State?

Yes Houston defiantly closed the gap a lot more than Toronto did. And it’s not close. Adding ibaka got you swept. Adding a few role players and a rookie isn’t even close to doing what Houston did. 

I never said Cleveland did anything to close the gap. Why get all sensitive and insecure?

5 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Yes Houston defiantly closed the gap a lot more than Toronto did. And it’s not close. Adding ibaka got you swept. Adding a few role players and a rookie isn’t even close to doing what Houston did. 

I never said Cleveland did anything to close the gap. Why get all sensitive and insecure?

No that wasn't necessarily my point. I'll preface every post I've made today with I'm dead tired at an airport on layover trying to kill time I'm probably not the most coherent. 

My point wasn't to say adding Ibaka was the exact same as adding Paul. Or that having a top 5 bench is better than adding a star. The point is this is what Toronto has. Adding Ibaka did result in a sweep last season he didn't really fit as well as I'd hoped but is actually playing and adapting much better this season I feel it's possible he could be a bigger plus this season. I wasn't saying Toronto did more than Houston did. I'm saying Toronto and Houston are still in basically the same position all things considered dispite all of this.

Toronto is what it is and I don't know why could be added at this point with out complete sacrificing this young core that would make us even on Clevelands level. Do you get what I'm trying to say? Adding Deandre Jordan (for not pennies on the dollar) and actually giving away future assets that have meaning doesn't move the needle for Toronto does it? Can you think of any one player Toronto could add realistically with what they have to offer that could actually challenge Cleveland? If not why give away great young depth? 

I think Toronto's ceiling is probably losing to Cleveland in 5 (or 6 games at most maybe) and I think that's the same as Houston with GS do you disagree? I'm not saying anything about Toronto being better than Houston. They are in the same position is what I'm saying. Look at how these two teams have been playing regular season vs playoffs they are basically versions of each other. 

You made the comment about Toronto rolling out the same crap that lost to Cleveland in 4 games while Cleveland is arguably rolling out worse crap than the crap that lost to golden state in 5 games. I wasn't getting sensitive I was just making sure you were aware of that because we're are sort of talking about contenders or pseudo contenders here and how one team made positive moves to close a gap being so important to challenges golden state while Toronto didn't to challenge Cleveland why joy bring up Cleveland challenging golden state? Again no shots. I got nothing but love you guys. I'm all aboard as long as Calderon is getting minutes at the moment. 

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Because him and Westbrook are always going to be linked and the debate on this page has been whonis better between the two. Plus it was Westbrook who got MVP over harden last year and Harden who bounced him from the playoffs 

No, it's only you Rockets fans making this out to be some big rivalry or something. 

1 hour ago, kyle21121 said:

No that wasn't necessarily my point. I'll preface every post I've made today with I'm dead tired at an airport on layover trying to kill time I'm probably not the most coherent. 

My point wasn't to say adding Ibaka was the exact same as adding Paul. Or that having a top 5 bench is better than adding a star. The point is this is what Toronto has. Adding Ibaka did result in a sweep last season he didn't really fit as well as I'd hoped but is actually playing and adapting much better this season I feel it's possible he could be a bigger plus this season. I wasn't saying Toronto did more than Houston did. I'm saying Toronto and Houston are still in basically the same position all things considered dispite all of this.

Toronto is what it is and I don't know why could be added at this point with out complete sacrificing this young core that would make us even on Clevelands level. Do you get what I'm trying to say? Adding Deandre Jordan (for not pennies on the dollar) and actually giving away future assets that have meaning doesn't move the needle for Toronto does it? Can you think of any one player Toronto could add realistically with what they have to offer that could actually challenge Cleveland? If not why give away great young depth? 

I think Toronto's ceiling is probably losing to Cleveland in 5 (or 6 games at most maybe) and I think that's the same as Houston with GS do you disagree? I'm not saying anything about Toronto being better than Houston. They are in the same position is what I'm saying. Look at how these two teams have been playing regular season vs playoffs they are basically versions of each other. 

You made the comment about Toronto rolling out the same crap that lost to Cleveland in 4 games while Cleveland is arguably rolling out worse crap than the crap that lost to golden state in 5 games. I wasn't getting sensitive I was just making sure you were aware of that because we're are sort of talking about contenders or pseudo contenders here and how one team made positive moves to close a gap being so important to challenges golden state while Toronto didn't to challenge Cleveland why joy bring up Cleveland challenging golden state? Again no shots. I got nothing but love you guys. I'm all aboard as long as Calderon is getting minutes at the moment. 

one has the luxury of being in the east.  rockets would run through the east like the cavs are doing.  raptors would be a 2nd round team at best in the west. 

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

No, it's only you Rockets fans making this out to be some big rivalry or something. 

Really??? It’s a homer issue? You do realize they were teammates, harden left and they have meet several times in the post season and then had a battle for the MVP last season. But there’s no chance it’s any kind of rilvary. 

Archived