2017-2018 NBA GDT: Off the court discussions

11sanchez11

NBA Champions  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who's The Favorite to Win it All This Year?

• Warriors
    • Cavaliers
    • Someone Else, Somehow?

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Denver? Since when have you guys had a coaching vacancy? 

I'd be pretty surprised if they extended Malone this year. Contract is up after next season. We'll see what happens. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Of course, but again Gasol was in his feelings for the team not re-signing Z-Bo/Allen and then it didn't help he got benched a day or two before Fizdale got fired. So what should have Fizdale said when Gasol told him we don't have the right guy leading the team? You're right, I think the team should fire me and go in another direction? 

How about not get into a bickering match with your players?  That's awful leadership from both of them.

1 minute ago, seminoles1 said:

How about not get into a bickering match with your players?  That's awful leadership from both of them.

Bickering match? He was going around asking players one by one if they felt they could win here. And Gasol trying to be a smart alack made a slick comment towards Fizdale. Gasol is the one that started the "bickering match." So let me ask you the same question I asked Sanchez, how would you have responded if you were Fizdale after Gasol made that comment? 

19 minutes ago, champ11 said:

I'd be pretty surprised if they extended Malone this year. Contract is up after next season. We'll see what happens. 

I think he will agree to be a lame duck coach going into the final season of his contract without an extension, with the hope they make the playoffs and he gets a deal after the season. That is a risk, but not like he has any negotiation power here. 

Now the Nuggets coaching gig would be very intriguing. 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I think he will agree to be a lame duck coach going into the final season of his contract without an extension, with the hope they make the playoffs and he gets a deal after the season. That is a risk, but not like he has any negotiation power here. 

Now the Nuggets coaching gig would be very intriguing. 

A lot of Nuggets fans wanted him out this season and I think he is an average coach at best, but I always knew he was going to be around next year with the continued improvement despite the tough roster to balance. Getting a really good coach like Bud  (just an example) with a roster that is cleaned up of some of the excess parts.........would be exciting. Gonna be interesting to see how it pans out.

11 minutes ago, champ11 said:

A lot of Nuggets fans wanted him out this season and I think he is an average coach at best, but I always knew he was going to be around next year with the continued improvement despite the tough roster to balance. Getting a really good coach like Bud  (just an example) with a roster that is cleaned up of some of the excess parts.........would be exciting. Gonna be interesting to see how it pans out.

Maybe a spot for Messina if he does indeed get let go?

If the Raptors make a coaching change, I could see them going with Stackhouse thinking a more tough minded head coach would be the solution. Already been around the team as as assistant coach and the HC of the G-League affiliate. 

47 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So let me ask you the same question I asked Sanchez, how would you have responded if you were Fizdale after Gasol made that comment? 

move on to the next player and have a private conservation later. Say you understand I (Fiz) haven't done anything in this league but I'm gonna need you to buy in to make this work.

Or you can go the Fiz route and say I'm the GOAT, you ain't sh*t, respect me mfer.

27 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

move on to the next player and have a private conservation later. Say you understand I (Fiz) haven't done anything in this league but I'm gonna need you to buy in to make this work.

Or you can go the Fiz route and say I'm the GOAT, you ain't sh*t, respect me mfer.

I think it was more so him telling Gasol he wasn't all that. 

Fizdale about turn the Knicks around! 

18 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I think it was more so him telling Gasol he wasn't all that. 

Fizdale about turn the Knicks around! 

Hopefully he learned from that mistake. Star player management is pretty key as an NBA coach and, as he found out, coaches are gonna get replaced before star players. 

3 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Hopefully he learned from that mistake. Star player management is pretty key as an NBA coach and, as he found out, coaches are gonna get replaced before star players. 

Marc Gasol is Memphis favorite son. All these trade rumors about him but he's not going anywhere. Played HS ball there and has played his entire NBA career there. He's beloved and Fizdale found out what happens when he goes up against him.....Saying that, still love everything Fizdale said and did lol. 

8 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Marc Gasol is Memphis favorite son. All these trade rumors about him but he's not going anywhere. Played HS ball there and has played his entire NBA career there. He's beloved and Fizdale found out what happens when he goes up against him.....Saying that, still love everything Fizdale said and did lol. 

Even though I'm not a huge Fizdale fan, I tend to side with him in this supposed beef with Gasol. Gasol was satisfied with the status quo in Memphis and was under the delusion that keeping the same core group of players and maintaining chemistry would somehow yield a championship. The truth of the matter was that their star players were all getting older, and unless you were okay with settling for constant mediocrity, you had to change something in order to try and take that next step. Grizzlies and Fiz did just that. Gasol can't be mad because the organization tried to move forward while he was still stuck in the past. With that said, they're both wrong for trading barbs in the locker room in front of everyone. It's one thing to call someone out for their level of play, but it's another to belittle someone's accomplishments and overall worth. That's cancerous to any team.

9 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I agree with you. I love Fiz so much. It's a bummer that those two didn't work out because they could get back to not being horrible with Gasol/Conley healthy and a really good rookie coming in. Still not playoffs, but not tanking either. Bickerstaff? Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

If it means anything, Nick Van Exel who was an assistant coach during their exchange said the part about Pop/LeBron was not true and it wasn't never said. Could be just taking up for his former boss/player, or maybe it is true. 

Archived