2017-2018 NBA GDT: Off the court discussions

11sanchez11

NBA Champions  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who's The Favorite to Win it All This Year?

• Warriors
    • Cavaliers
    • Someone Else, Somehow?

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Bickering match? He was going around asking players one by one if they felt they could win here. And Gasol trying to be a smart alack made a slick comment towards Fizdale. Gasol is the one that started the "bickering match." So let me ask you the same question I asked Sanchez, how would you have responded if you were Fizdale after Gasol made that comment? 

It doesn't matter if a player started it.  He escalated the situation.

I'd tell him we have a meeting at 8:00 AM the next day to talk about this in private and then move on to the next player.  Responding the way he did is poor leadership, just like Gasol's response in the first place.

Fellow coaches don't like the hype surrounding this youngster who is coaching circles around them. 

My COTY choices were McMillan/Casey anyways, so not crazy for Stevens to not get a vote. They were the #1 seed the prior year and did about the same this season. Obviously he had to deal with Hayward's injury, and then Kyrie's injury. Little debate he is not the best or the second best coach in the league. But I could see why he didn't get a vote.

I'm sure he will get some votes from the real COTY voting from the media. 

9 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Fellow coaches don't like the hype surrounding this youngster who is coaching circles around them. 

My COTY choices were McMillan/Casey anyways, so not crazy for Stevens to not get a vote. They were the #1 seed the prior year and did about the same this season. Obviously he had to deal with Hayward's injury, and then Kyrie's injury. Little debate he is not the best or the second best coach in the league. But I could see why he didn't get a vote.

I'm sure he will get some votes from the real COTY voting from the media. 

Yeah he doesn’t even need it.. He didn’t even vote for himself lol like Doc did. Respect the dude and he has that aura of greatness around him. He’s so good. 

8 minutes ago, El ramster said:

Yeah he doesn’t even need it.. He didn’t even vote for himself lol like Doc did. Respect the dude and he has that aura of greatness around him. He’s so good. 

Doc actually did a really nice job this season. May be his best work to date iyam. But lmao at him voting for himself...I doubt that, though his buddy Lue probably voted for him. 

That is just dumb. Personally he is my COTY. You can't compare it to last season's results since he has basically a completely new team. And if we want to try to divorce player acquisition as a FO job not a coaching job we can see that in the improvement of Brown and how well he was able to integrate Tatum into the league immediately.

Still think if you just said best coach I'd go Pop but Stevens is damn close.

6 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Doc actually did a really nice job this season. May be his best work to date iyam. But lmao at him voting for himself...I doubt that, though his buddy Lue probably voted for him. 

In a season where Snyder, Brown, Pop, Stevens, Casey all had legit cases for COTY  him getting a vote for leading a mediocre squad to a mediocre season is pretty confounding.

1 hour ago, mse326 said:

That is just dumb. Personally he is my COTY. You can't compare it to last season's results since he has basically a completely new team. And if we want to try to divorce player acquisition as a FO job not a coaching job we can see that in the improvement of Brown and how well he was able to integrate Tatum into the league immediately.

Still think if you just said best coach I'd go Pop but Stevens is damn close.

Stevens is the best coach in the league but that's definitely not a dumb argument. Talent wise they weren't much off from last year even with Hayward's injury. So it is easy to see why he won't get voted COTY. Casey on paper did a more impressive job as well as McMillan who no one expected would make the playoffs. 

A side note on Boston. I am just wondering if Kyrie would had not gotten injured/missed time, would his presence have stunted the growth of Rozier, Tatum and Brown?? I think yes. No way Rozier shows how good he is, playing off the bench in sporadic minutes. No way Tatum gets this many shots. same for Brown. 

Kyrie getting hurt = BIG blessing in disguise. 

Archived