Later round Mock draft/Unrestricted players

Big T

Rather than the usual mock drafts posted including trades and released players. I thought it would be interesting to know which players from round 5-7 including FA/Unrestricted or unsigned college players you would like to see the Jets tab to fill out the team.

Obviously, it should not be restricted to need as opposed to BPA if you think the talent is there. For me there are a few later round players with plenty of upside who will be available in rounds 5-7 including unsigned FA types.

5-7th round.....Patrick Johnson OLB/DE Tulane , elusive, quick, fast and strong 6'3 255. Projected to be a third day pick

6/undrafted Jake Funk RB, guess my impression is that he is a "football player" the kids got grit.

ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. said that Funk is “one of those guys I want on my team,” and that he “gives you everything he has.” 

Here are a few guys who showed well in the senior bowl that we may target in the 4th and 5th round.

Demetric Felton in that hybrid role

D’Ante Smith development tackle

Quinn Mainerz developmental iOL

Also, Rhamondre Stevenson could possibly switch to that FB role in our offense.

Dazz Newsome fits that Deebo / Aiyuk mold of a WR built like a RB, YAC type receiver  

Jaret Patterson from Buffalo is an interesting speed back type.

Walker Little of Stanford and Alaric Jackson were once thought of as 1st / 2nd round OL prospects that have dropped quite a bit in the rankings. Both could be steals.

Edited by JohnnyHectorFan

42 minutes ago, Big T said:

CB Shakur Brown is a guy to watch during the later rounds. But a guy who I thought might be a later draft steal could be Josh Imatorbhebhe at 6'4 220 and 4.40 time is rated 29th WR.

Him, Jalen Camp or Simi Fehoko could be perfect for developing WR.   Josh Palmer, probably?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Him, Jalen Camp or Simi Fehoko could be perfect for developing WR.   Josh Palmer, probably?

Fehoko looks promising, but a few years away. not sure of the others, would have to take a look at them on tape via YT

There are some late round or perhaps earlier depending on player evaluation that could be a major win for the Jets. OT Spencer Brown is rated number 13 but his numbers are off the chart and according to GBNDR is just as big and fast as Becton .

OT Spencer Brown, who measured in at a rangy 6-8.5, 311 with 34.75 inch arms, tested very well for a player that size. He put up 29 reps in the bench press and then ran a very athletic 40 in the 4.9-flat range, while his shuttle times of 4.44 in the SS and 7.03 in the 3-cone were literally off-the-charts for an OL; indeed, both those times would have been tops among OL at the 2020 combine, and it wasn’t even close.

This is a guy that a 4th round or 5th round flyer on would be worth the pick.

WR Jaelon Darden is part of the deep receiver class for 2021. Darden, who had a breakout year this past fall when he caught 76 passes for over 1,100 yards and 19 TDs in just 9 games, isn’t all that big at just 5-8, 174, but he has good speed with a 4.46 40 clocking and even better quickness. Indeed, Darden’s times in the two agility drills – 3.98 seconds in the short shuttle and 6.66 in the 3-cone – would have been the fastest at the position at the 2020 combine.

Darden is another name to watch come the draft who is rated #54 on the GBNDR. Could wind up being a UDFA type.

Intriguing DB prospect in CB Brandon Stephens rated the #50 is what makes Stephens especially intriguing is that he has a unique size/speed combination. For starters he’s big; he measured in at 6-1, 219 at the SMU pro day and then went out and clocked a 4.43 in the 40 and posted a 38-inch vertical.

Daren Hall is another CB rated at #35 is one of the better kept secrets in college football despite the fact that he tied for the national lead in total pass breakups in 2019 with 17. He followed that up in 2020 with three picks and 6 other pass breakups in 9 games as opponents generally stayed on the other side of the field.