Broncos bring back Kareem Jackson

paul-mac

Paton is just killing it this offseason.    Find our QB solution, and we're cooking with gas to be that serious contender.

(Hardest part of the equation unless Lock is the solution <unlikely given the higher bar of play needed>, but only Stafford has presented that opportunity so far).

Paton saved 5M by letting Jackson walk.   Basically paid for Fuller & Jackson, minus 1M.

Holy **** Paton amazing offseason.

Edited by Broncofan

This is the best FA period we’ve had since Elway’s 2014 Super Bowl winning class. 

Another good point is that all these signings put us in a position where we can afford to trade up into the top 5 if Paton falls in love with one of the QBs 

5 hours ago, paul-mac said:

This is the best FA period we’ve had since Elway’s 2014 Super Bowl winning class. 

Another good point is that all these signings put us in a position where we can afford to trade up into the top 5 if Paton falls in love with one of the QBs 

With all of our key gaps filled, we have a lot of options in the draft, for sure.  But we still have a LOT of age and expiring contracts that we should be backfilling in the draft this year:  RB, RT, EDGE, DL, CB and Safety should all ideally be addressed with picks this year, preferably with talent that has the potential to evolve into starters, as we currently don’t really have readily apparent starter quality depth on the roster behind these expiring contracts.  Now, some of our youth might blossom, and we can always fill a spot or two with FA next year, but our depth issues still mean we have a lot of team-building to do behind the starters, especially on D.

That said, IF this D stays healthy this year, they should be very, very good😜

16 minutes ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

With all of our key gaps filled, we have a lot of options in the draft, for sure.  But we still have a LOT of age and expiring contracts that we should be backfilling in the draft this year:  RB, RT, EDGE, DL, CB and Safety should all ideally be addressed with picks this year, preferably with talent that has the potential to evolve into starters, as we currently don’t really have readily apparent starter quality depth on the roster behind these expiring contracts.  Now, some of our youth might blossom, and we can always fill a spot or two with FA next year, but our depth issues still mean we have a lot of team-building to do behind the starters, especially on D.

That said, IF this D stays healthy this year, they should be very, very good😜

Our long term needs haven’t changed. But this really lets us tackle the BPA approach early on that likely addresses a 2022+ need.   FA is all about filling holes - ideally with young upside guys (but also totally ok with Jackson given the bargain).   That’s why the draft is best served going BPA when there’s a considerable gap in talent - the need is usually there in 1-2 years for almost every position (unless  you have your QB).   And rookies rarely fill those needs well in year 1.    Elway trying to go  need from 2014-18 early really hurt us (and not just Rd1 either).   

Paton said his early approach is BPA.   Now he doesn’t have to be swayed by need and stick to his guns.   I think it’s also why he wants to trade back - BPA in the late teens / early 20’s will address ILB / T / CB if a top 3 guy falls / SS.   Get early 2022 draft ammo and still get BPA and address need at the same time?  Win-win-win.  

Edited by Broncofan

Went back and watched some tape on Anderson’s two starts and I think he has the potential to be really good after spending more time with Munchak (and Bolles, who has reportedly turned into a real leader of the young linemen on our team)

That’s not to say we should ignore OT in the draft, but I’d happily enter the season with Anderson as the swing 3rd OT and just draft an athletic freak in the late rounds to give Munchak another project. Then next year, James walks and Anderson and the young guy can battle it out to start at RT.

QB and RB are the two biggest question marks on offense for me, and then on the defensive side of the ball I think we could use some help in the front 7. I don’t think corner is a huge need because although Fuller and Callahan could walk next year, we have Ojemudia and Bassey who could hopefully continue to develop to take over their roles. I do think a safety who could eventually replace Kareem Jackson would be a smart pick.

I rate our needs as follows:

Immediate needs: QB, ILB

Future starter needs: RB, SS

Depth needs: DL, EDGE, OT

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Our long term needs haven’t changed. But this really lets us tackle the BPA approach early on that likely addresses a 2022+ need.   FA is all about filling holes - ideally with young upside guys (but also totally ok with Jackson given the bargain).   That’s why the draft is best served going BPA when there’s a considerable gap in talent - the need is usually there in 1-2 years for almost every position (unless  you have your QB).   And rookies rarely fill those needs well in year 1.    Elway trying to go  need from 2014-18 early really hurt us (and not just Rd1 either).   

Paton said his early approach is BPA.   Now he doesn’t have to be swayed by need and stick to his guns.   I think it’s also why he wants to trade back - BPA in the late teens / early 20’s will address ILB / T / CB if a top 3 guy falls / SS.   Get early 2022 draft ammo and still get BPA and address need at the same time?  Win-win-win.  

Totally agree.  Just pointing out the the number of needs for those “developmental” guys that can grow into starters in 2022 time frame is relatively large, so need to be aware that throwing a bunch of picks towards a “trade up to get your QB” approach will come with collateral damage. 

46 minutes ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

Totally agree.  Just pointing out the the number of needs for those “developmental” guys that can grow into starters in 2022 time frame is relatively large, so need to be aware that throwing a bunch of picks towards a “trade up to get your QB” approach will come with collateral damage. 

I don’t have any reason to not take Allbright at his word in Denver info - and he says Paton’s he’s trading back, unless a top 4 QB falls to him.   Which I seriously doubt (and hence the trade back).   Unlike most years there is a clear trade up target too (Jones if top 4 QB gone).   

With the Farley news I’m all for trading back.   Just way too much future gain and we address 1 of those long term needs with BPA regardless. 

Edited by Broncofan

Don’t really see all the enthusiasm.  I get these are great moves from a financial standpoint, but a bunch of 1 year deals on a team without a QB?  Again, I’ll be excited when that moves made.  The rest of this is reminiscent of Elway.

10 hours ago, germ-x said:

Don’t really see all the enthusiasm.  I get these are great moves from a financial standpoint, but a bunch of 1 year deals on a team without a QB?  Again, I’ll be excited when that moves made.  The rest of this is reminiscent of Elway.

Until we address QB our long term path to sustained contention isn’t complete.    But consider this: 

1.  Paton re-signed the 2 young D guys who earned it.   That creates a lot of goodwill.  

2.  He didn’t bite on a trade and saved 4.5M and a pick on Kyle Fuller.   He made the hard call on Kareem Jackson and got him back at 5M cheaper.   Those 2 moves pretty much paid for a year of Darby’s contract.   

3.  By acquiring 2 CB and re-signing Harris & Jackson - Paton doesn’t force himself to be tempted by need in Rd1 like Elway fell prey to.   Relying on the draft for a year 1 contribution was Elway’s biggest weaknesses (besides inability at ID-ing QB obv).  

4. Paton can get QB if he believes in that guy and he’s there at 1.9 (top 4 guy I’d be fine with but doubt they will drop that far).   Or he can trade back and accumulate 2022 draft ammo to make a big move for QB in 2021 post-draft (Watson matter resolves) or in 2021-22 offseason (Russell Wilson, move up a ton in Rd1 with 2 firsts and more ammo), if he’s able to move directly back to 20+ range.   

Elway was great at filling holes when we were contenders.   He had the amazing 2011 draft.  He was a Day 3 / UDFA wizard.  And he was amazing at the cap.  But Paton is showing traits Elway didn’t master as well.  Now Elway’s cap savings are why Paton could use the cap.   But Paton’s approach shows a pattern and approach that’s different in his cap restraint combined with willingness to act aggressively when value suddenly arises (but not at all costs, either).   That’s worth being really excited about. 

Having said that it won’t matter if Paton can’t find our long term QB soon.  It’s hard to think it’s Lock.  But it’s also fair to say the only guy who fit the bill who was available so far has been Matt Stafford.   And Paton made a reasonable play for him.   So he wasn’t sitting idly by.   And we know he was in on Watson, and apparently remains interested.  Finally we know he won’t rule out QB at 1.9 (but if he doesn’t go there, trading back is the alternate plan).  That commitment to explore options and flexibility  has me so encouraged.  

Paton seems to get QB is the long term need to address.   I’m willing to give him time to figure it out.   Everything he’s done shows he seems to get it. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2