Another Competitive Mock

vegas492

Full disclosure, I was bummed that I didn't get Mac for you guys last time.  Wanted another crack at it.  Honestly, I feel like there is a 50/50 chance he is there with your pick.

I used PFF again, and I did trade around.

Here are the trades. 

Traded pick #52 for picks 57 and 58.  I did that because the board had quite a few guys I liked for you on it and thought it was wise to get a little more volume with the draft.

Traded pick #83 for 104, 131 and 184.  Was not feeling value on the board at 83.

Results...

20.  Mac Jones.  Got the QB of the future.  Very accurate and smart.  Don't wreck him!

57.  Greg Newsome, CB.  I think this may have been the steal of the draft.  Solidify the secondary against GB and Minnesota.  

88.  Levi Onwuzurike, DL.  Smaller in weight, but quick.  Your style of defense should fit him nicely.

104.  D'ante Smith, T.  Really this was the first time I found value meeting pick at tackle.  He's athletic, but lacks an anchor and weight.  Fortunately, those are things you can build onto a player.  He won't help this year, but after a year of training, he could be quite good.

131.  Quinn Meinerz, C/G/T.  He can easily play guard.  Maybe center, maybe RT.  At the very least you should have 3 good ones inside.

164.  Shi Smith, WR.  Really smooth.  Mac is going to enjoy throwing to him in practice.  They will get a chemistry early.

183.  Sadarious Hutchinson.  G/T.  Listed as a guard, but I think he can play tackle as well. 

204.  D'wayne Eskridge.  WR.  Kid is a football player and I feel PFF has him waaaay undervalued.

208.  Tariq Thompson.  S.  Value looked good for a safety here.

221.  CJ Verdell.  RB.  Don't know anything about him.  At all, but wanted another RB on the roster.

228.  Tedarall Slaton.  DL.  Big boy inside.

So, you got your QB, two Wr's to grow with and 3 offensive linemen.  That's the core.  Added a starting corner and 2 DL that could help right away.

When I run these for Chicago, it all hinges on Mac Jones.  If I were your GM, I'd be looking to move up if it meant securing him as the pick.  You can get quality OL pieces later.

And let's face it, with Dalton and Foles, you will not be good to great.  But you won't be God-awful either.  With your defense, even without Fuller, you are going to win games.  Your defense is going to be good enough so that you will win 7-9 games and possibly keep you from getting top tier QB's for the next few years.  When one comes close to you, you gotta do everything to secure him.   

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I value your opinion so don't misinterpret.   Keep posting.

But as an experiment I should start threads in GB forum and see what response is.

What do you think it would be?  

Run a mock and post it over there and find out!

I guess it would be an interesting read for me, because as a rival, it would be interesting to read what you think our perceived weaknesses are.  It may reinforce what many of us already think/feel.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

Run a mock and post it over there and find out!

I guess it would be an interesting read for me, because as a rival, it would be interesting to read what you think our perceived weaknesses are.  It may reinforce what many of us already think/feel.

Mocks are uninteresting to me.   You can make whatever happen you want.   They do serve to start getting you familiar with prospects if you don't watch CFB.  

I want to see what a team actually did or does vs. what they should have done (before hindsight makes it obvious). 

The GM games can be fun if they are draft only because then you can't game a simulation program.  You have to deal with people.   It is a good test of your ability to scout and project talent, but you don't get to find out for 4 years how you did.      But they will usually be 180 degrees from what your team actually does IRL.   I mean if I looked at all GB fan and pundit mocks from last year and there were probably a 100+, I bet none had first 2 picks that actually happened.     

If I did a thread in GB forum at moment I would want to talk Rodgers vs. Love and when, or if, you bail on Rodgers and what strategy for 2021 FAs and draft picks should be in light of that.  But I don't know enough to do it properly at moment.

5 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Mocks are uninteresting to me.   You can make whatever happen you want.   They do serve to start getting you familiar with prospects if you don't watch CFB.  

I want to see what a team actually did or does vs. what they should have done (before hindsight makes it obvious). 

The GM games can be fun if they are draft only because then you can't game a simulation program.  You have to deal with people.   It is a good test of your ability to scout and project talent, but you don't get to find out for 4 years how you did.      But they will usually be 180 degrees from what your team actually does IRL.   I mean if I looked at all GB fan and pundit mocks from last year and there were probably a 100+, I bet none had first 2 picks that actually happened.     

If I did a thread in GB forum at moment I would want to talk Rodgers vs. Love and when, or if, you bail on Rodgers and what strategy for 2021 FAs and draft picks should be in light of that.  But I don't know enough to do it properly at moment.

How I feel, Love vs. Rodgers.  Extend Rodgers now, make the Love pick a mistake and/or irrelevant.  But that is just me.

I think the club wants another year of elite Rodgers play and a real camp to evaluate Love before they commit to that.

Draft picks...corner, WR, ILB, DL, OT.  Those are the areas of need.  Maybe not for right away, but for depth and the future.  DL is most pressing, but I doubt Barmore gets to GB's pick.  GB has one WR on a contract past 2021.  Need to double dip and look at one relatively high.  OT is an issue.  Our ILB's are average, at best.

When I run a PFF mock for GB...it never ends well.  I've yet to run one that I'm happy with.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

How I feel, Love vs. Rodgers.  Extend Rodgers now, make the Love pick a mistake and/or irrelevant.  But that is just me.

I think the club wants another year of elite Rodgers play and a real camp to evaluate Love before they commit to that.

Draft picks...corner, WR, ILB, DL, OT.  Those are the areas of need.  Maybe not for right away, but for depth and the future.  DL is most pressing, but I doubt Barmore gets to GB's pick.  GB has one WR on a contract past 2021.  Need to double dip and look at one relatively high.  OT is an issue.  Our ILB's are average, at best.

When I run a PFF mock for GB...it never ends well.  I've yet to run one that I'm happy with.  

If you can highlight Love and make him look good in some pre-season games he becomes valuable in trade if he still has years left on rookie deal.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Full disclosure, I was bummed that I didn't get Mac for you guys last time.  Wanted another crack at it.  Honestly, I feel like there is a 50/50 chance he is there with your pick.

Boy, would that be cool. I'm skeptical that it goes down that way, though.

18 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Rodgers did have a bounceback year, and in a big way. I think it changed the minds of those who thought Father Time might be catching up with him. I don't know enough about the Pack's cap and personnel to gauge whether he should be extended now, but I think you guys roll with Love as the backup this year, see what happens, then try to trade him. Keeping him behind Rodgers indefinitely doesn't seem like it would be a good plan--for anybody. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

If you can highlight Love and make him look good in some pre-season games he becomes valuable in trade if he still has years left on rookie deal.

That would be an ideal, best case scenario for GB.  

3 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Boy, would that be cool. I'm skeptical that it goes down that way, though.

Rodgers did have a bounceback year, and in a big way. I think it changed the minds of those who thought Father Time might be catching up with him. I don't know enough about the Pack's cap and personnel to gauge whether he should be extended now, but I think you guys roll with Love as the backup this year, see what happens, then try to trade him. Keeping him behind Rodgers indefinitely doesn't seem like it would be a good plan--for anybody. 

I feel like someone will try to move above you for Jones in the draft.  If someone wants him, they have to know that he ain't getting by Chicago.  Washington picks right before you, I can see him there.

So really, Chicago needs to be looking at 16-17-18 in a trade.  If Mac lasts past New England, trade up to get ahead of the WFT.  Anyone picking later than Chicago will have to give up a whole lot more to get him.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, vegas492 said:

20.  Mac Jones.  Got the QB of the future.  Very accurate and smart.  Don't wreck him!

Bears? QB of the future? Not being ruined in Chicago?

NOV19-We-Are-Laughing-Eyman.gif

Clearly having a young talent to learn from Dalton and Foles is a major plus to me, and Newsome that late would be sweet. All in all I love the attack on the OL and getting Slaton that late would make me ridiculously happy. I've wanted a rotational 2-gapper for Hicks and Goldman to stay fresh, and with Smith and DT they are athletes who thrive when clean and struggle when OL get their hands on them. Levi and him would switch and let Levi run a 3T role. IDK some of the others so no input, just like the attention to some of our weaker areas.

• Like 2

You guys really love this guy?

Watching a tiny bit vs. FL and from his pro day and not seeing it.   Not a plus athlete.  Not a plus arm.  Not plus size.  

He has plus time in pocket with plus WRs and running game.    Most of his throws are with no one within 4 feet of him or his receiver.  

Maybe he is going to be really good, but not sure how you can tell that from just watching him.   A lot 'ifs'.

Seems a total gamble.  

Is there a game where he was under pressure from opposing team and had to make actual reads and make tough throws to watch?

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

You guys really love this guy?

Watching a tiny bit vs. FL and from his pro day and not seeing it.   Not a plus athlete.  Not a plus arm.  Not plus size.  

He has plus time in pocket with plus WRs and running game.    Most of his throws are with no one within 4 feet of him or his receiver.  

Maybe he is going to be really good, but not sure how you can tell that from just watching him.   A lot 'ifs'.

Seems a total gamble.  

Is there a game where he was under pressure from opposing team and had to make actual reads and make tough throws to watch?

He does have a "plus" arm...but not by much. His biggest attributes are his field vision and his accuracy. Which are probably the two most important parts of QB play. 

Not sure what you think you're seeing (as you didn't elaborate), but..."total" gamble? No. Not even close. He may never get it sorted at the pro level, but to assume he won't isn't very realistic. 

34 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

He does have a "plus" arm...but not by much. His biggest attributes are his field vision and his accuracy. Which are probably the two most important parts of QB play. 

Not sure what you think you're seeing (as you didn't elaborate), but..."total" gamble? No. Not even close. He may never get it sorted at the pro level, but to assume he won't isn't very realistic. 

The game is easy when you have time and open receivers who even if they aren't open are going to win 50/50 balls more often than not.   That makes it a gamble. 

So you look at his athletic ability and arm in a vacuum and it isn't wowing me.

It isn't fair really.   Maybe he is great.  I don't know.   

I never played basketball, but my senior year we moved to a house with basketball hoop and a big cement area around it.   I would shoot 3s for an hour every day after school.  

After months of this I could hit a huge percentage of those 3s.   If you just watched me shoot 3s you might think I was a good BB player.   Perfect form.  Great shot.   But I suck.  I was unguarded, just shooting.  

That is what is like to play QB at Alabama in recent years.   They have best O line, best WRs, a great running game and a defense who gives them ball back.   They are unguarded players just jacking up 3s.

Nearly impossible to properly evaluate.

Edited by dll2000
  • Like 1

On 3/25/2021 at 12:38 AM, Sugashane said:
On 3/24/2021 at 11:04 AM, vegas492 said:

Don't wreck him!

Bears?

My first thought was...."Bears not ruin a QB!?.  Nevermind the staff.....our fans alone will ruin him after one bad throw".

Sorry, I had to chime in here. Carry one.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Seems a total gamble.  

I've argued against him and still prefer Trask to him. I went over one game and posted it here where his "pinpoint accuracy" seemed really in question - especially for some of the advantages he has compared to about any other QB last year. 

That being said a gamble is the best we can do with Nagy trying to run an offense and develop a QB. I'd like to take 2 swings and hope one pops for us.

Plus the next HC might be able to do something with one of them. Lol

• Like 1